Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 99 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 105 reviews
on March 6, 2014
This is a review for the VuPoint PDS-ST470PE-VP Portable Scanner.

This is a good scanner for flat documents (as advertised), but it doesn't perform well with book pages. Appreciate it's compact size and convenience.

PROS
- Scans flat documents, such as sheets of paper and photographs, well. Color and details are very good.
- Portable and relatively small
- Nice color preview screen, which other wand scanners typically don't offer.
- Storage is on micro SD card, which, with the full-size adapter, is a universally used storage medium
- Can transfer scans using USB cable or micro SD card to computer

CONS
- Prone to wobbling/veering during scanning, probably due to the single roller on bottom surface. There are a couple other wand scanners out there with double rolls, which helps prevent veering. The wobbling/veering produces scans that are distorted in areas.
- Preview screen has clunky navigation and actually stretches some preview images (but the scan is actually fine), which somewhat defeats the purpose of checking a scan with the preview screen.
- Cannot scan book pages well. VuPoint does not advertise this item as a book page scanner, but I tried it anyway and thought I'd share my experience. The scanning window does not extend close enough to either end of the wand's bottom surface, so the wand cannot effectively scan near the gutter of a book. Therefore, if you hold the scanner horizontally on the right page of a book and start scanning top to bottom (or bottom to top), the left side contents near the gutter of the book are missed entirely. Also, if you hold the scanner vertically (parallel to the gutter), and scan left to right, you might be able to capture the contents near the gutter, but you will lose the contents on the right edge of the page. Why? The single roller will fall of the page, signalling to the scanner that you are no longer dragging the scanner the left to right.
33 comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 21, 2014
I got this because my wife and I tend to hoard magazines to save an artificial or recipe we want to have as a reference. We also seem to have a ton of paperwork for her business and our farm so I wanted to be able to clean it up without getting rid of anything we need for taxes.

Pros: This works much better than a flat scanner for books and magazines. Not needing to have it connected to a computer. Doesn't take up much space

Cons: For papers it leaves a little to be desired since you have to try to pull it straight and snow enough that it can capture the document but not so slow it times out.

I know there is an sheet feeder adapter that might solve some of the manual pulling issues and looking around you can get the feeder and scanner as a set.
on January 10, 2014
I really like this thing. It works very well and does what I wanted it for and more. It is also much faster and easier to use than my desk top scanner.
I have found out a couple things about it that others might be interested in. The JPG files that it creates could not be saved after being edited with Canon's Zoom Browser photo editing program. That program would hang-up when I tried to save the edited JPG from the Magic Wand scanner. I found that if opened the scaner's JPG with Microsoft's Paint, then only saved it, Zoom Browser would work just fine with it. I also found that the medium resolution of 600 dpi makes the best quality scans. They are very clear and much better than ones made at the HI resolution of 1050 or 1200. Talking to friend who is in to high quality photography, he told me that is common with even very expensive scanners.
on March 3, 2016
I had no idea wand scanners existed and am finding this sooo handy to have in addition to my regular scanner. Much easier to scan long receipts and book or magazine pages with this. Not so good as my flat glass scanner for pictures though they are usable. I bought this just for text anyway. I love the bright color which makes it easy to find and harder to leave behind. Easy to choose options and no problem viewing screen. Backlight would be nice but not absolutely necessary. I have bad eyesight but can see the screen. Like the previews. Lightweight and compact. I added 32 gig card to it because when I scan I scan a lot! I'm not doing anything special to scan straight. I just watch the guides as I scan and try to move smoothly. Very happy with this scanner and would recommend it.
on April 1, 2014
I purchased this scanner after using an older model a friend owns. I am happy with the scanner. However, a few points of clarification regarding product information from the amazon site. When you read that it is 1050 dpi and 1200 if hooked to a computer, that means if you purchase the docking station, not if you connect the USB cord. Also, be sure to order the correct case for this scanner. You need the case that has "s" in the product number - the other case is too short. Finally, the power adapter will NOT fit in the case as it did in previous models. The power tongs don't fold over so it will not fit in the carry case. I called and asked and she said "no, it does not fit." I did ask if I could use any USB power adaptor for recharging and she said that I could.

So, great scanner. But be sure to order the correct case and realize that the power adaptor will not fit in the case. I also posted this review with the case.
on June 8, 2014
I am not paid to write this review! I needed a "portable scanner" to be able to scan documents related to my elderly mother's care while I'm "on the road". So I searched for "portable scanners" and found this. I read the reviews about people having problems with it. All I can say is ... watch a video from VuPoint's site for how to use it. I had no issues whatsoever. So easy to use that I might never use my flatbed scanner again. The only drawback is that each page is a separate file (this model lets you scan to pdf as well as jpeg which I why I bought it) ... but that turned out not to be an issue because I have Adobe Acrobat, and it is SUPER simple to combine multiple pdf's into one file.
Be sure to buy a Micro-SD card because you can't use this without one (if you read product description you'll see that it does tell you this), and it's not included (don't really understand why).
on January 24, 2014
I purchased as a gift for my husband for Christmas, and he loves it! He was surprised how easy it is to use and how nice a quality it reproduces. Great price too!
on December 10, 2014
There's not a lot of competition for this style of product. It's great in theory but there's some drawbacks.
I'm using this for large scale art that wont fit on scanners and I've been trying to find the easiest way to scan in pieces with minimal distortion. All flatbed scanners have raised plastic that wont allow for the piece to be completely flat.
This takes care of that issue, but since you're moving across the surface texture becomes an issue. Keeping a straight line is a little tedious as well.

I plan to double this with a sheet of glass and a t-square to reduce friction against the scanner and allow a straight even scan.
on June 20, 2017
This is nice portable wand scanner for scanning photos on the go. I also like the removable SD memory (mine did not come this though), so use the photo printers found at many drug stores. I just wished this item had a document feeder (you may be able to buy ​separately). I also don't think this item works well to scan text documents you might want to edit. In all, I like this item and it works okay for scanning photos on the go.
on February 10, 2014
good product. the scan quality is good, you just have to learn how to scan properly and it works perfectly. the mini screen is of much help, cause u can have a preview of the result without having to plug to a computer. besides, it comes with a litlle bag/cover, and some cleaning material. good purchase.