VuPoint PDS-ST470PU-VP Compact Portable Wand Scanner
- Scanner for color & monochromatic images, documents, magazines
- High Speed Sensor
- Features multiple resolutions: 300 dpi (Low), 600 dpi (Medium), 1050 dpi (High)
- Date and Time Setting
- Requires Micro SD card up to 32GB
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Top Customer Reviews
You can easily hook this Scanner up with a USB cable that is included to the PC and the menu box pops up on the PC screen to allow you to view the things you scanned easily without having to remove the Micro SD card!
I bought the separate scanner base so i could have something that held the wand scanner a bit more stable instead of holding the scanner in my hand an trying to wave it over the Photo or document i wanted to scan and the scanner base does just that...Read more ›
This is a good scanner for flat documents (as advertised), but it doesn't perform well with book pages. Appreciate it's compact size and convenience.
- Scans flat documents, such as sheets of paper and photographs, well. Color and details are very good.
- Portable and relatively small
- Nice color preview screen, which other wand scanners typically don't offer.
- Storage is on micro SD card, which, with the full-size adapter, is a universally used storage medium
- Can transfer scans using USB cable or micro SD card to computer
- Prone to wobbling/veering during scanning, probably due to the single roller on bottom surface. There are a couple other wand scanners out there with double rolls, which helps prevent veering. The wobbling/veering produces scans that are distorted in areas.
- Preview screen has clunky navigation and actually stretches some preview images (but the scan is actually fine), which somewhat defeats the purpose of checking a scan with the preview screen.
- Cannot scan book pages well. VuPoint does not advertise this item as a book page scanner, but I tried it anyway and thought I'd share my experience. The scanning window does not extend close enough to either end of the wand's bottom surface, so the wand cannot effectively scan near the gutter of a book. Therefore, if you hold the scanner horizontally on the right page of a book and start scanning top to bottom (or bottom to top), the left side contents near the gutter of the book are missed entirely. Also, if you hold the scanner vertically (parallel to the gutter), and scan left to right, you might be able to capture the contents near the gutter, but you will lose the contents on the right edge of the page. Why? The single roller will fall of the page, signalling to the scanner that you are no longer dragging the scanner the left to right.
Pros: This works much better than a flat scanner for books and magazines. Not needing to have it connected to a computer. Doesn't take up much space
Cons: For papers it leaves a little to be desired since you have to try to pull it straight and snow enough that it can capture the document but not so slow it times out.
I know there is an sheet feeder adapter that might solve some of the manual pulling issues and looking around you can get the feeder and scanner as a set.
I have found out a couple things about it that others might be interested in. The JPG files that it creates could not be saved after being edited with Canon's Zoom Browser photo editing program. That program would hang-up when I tried to save the edited JPG from the Magic Wand scanner. I found that if opened the scaner's JPG with Microsoft's Paint, then only saved it, Zoom Browser would work just fine with it. I also found that the medium resolution of 600 dpi makes the best quality scans. They are very clear and much better than ones made at the HI resolution of 1050 or 1200. Talking to friend who is in to high quality photography, he told me that is common with even very expensive scanners.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Arrived as ordered - easy to install and very easy to use. Really like being able to see the image prior to saving to my computer.Published 1 month ago by pinkpanther
Watched a YouTube on this unit before purchase, Had to scan some documents off-site, so took scanner with me. It was brand new, in box. Read morePublished 1 month ago by thecaninekid
I had no idea wand scanners existed and am finding this sooo handy to have in addition to my regular scanner. Read morePublished 4 months ago by Katrina
This is a GREAT scanner.
I was looking for a portable scanner & saw this scanner in the store. Read more
Does what is supposed to do but if you are shaking or don't have it on a flat surface, good luck!! I was trying to do a school book 😳 Also if you roll too fast it will not give a... Read morePublished 6 months ago by Amazon Customer