Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

on September 13, 2016
Incredible item! Some things you need to be saving for posterity are too big for your printer/flatbed scanner and this wand fills the gap. From artwork, pictures, books, you can scan and save it all. Separately buy a micro SD (which can be used with other things like cameras, computers, etc.) which spreads the cost, since micro SDs usually come with a standard size adapter. When I first tried to use the Wand I was not getting good results: Saw only a small slice of my document. I called the really great customer service and found out I was scanning TOO SLOWLY!. Took about 1 minute to explain and figure out. Thanks, VuPoint. Also you get the really valuable Paper Port software for scanning, searching and organizing documents. I used to work with this type of software before I retired, and I really missed it, but not now. Also included is a USB cable for connection to a computer, a cleaning cloth, batteries, and a storage bag for the Wand. I am impressed, so much so that I am buying two others for Christmas gifts. And, no, I am not an employee of this company LOL. It is just a very good product that meets my needs.
7 people found this helpful
on August 20, 2013
I bought this for school, as I am terrible about losing important paperwork that I end up needing later. Being able to scan without being connected to a computer is extremely handy. Even on the lowest DPI scan, it produces sharp images of a black and white handouts, with each page taking about 2 seconds to slide across. At the highest setting, you do need to slow your roll some and take 5-7 seconds per scan, but I have found I only needed high settings for the smallest of text (and for color of course). It doesn't recognize the edges of the paper however, so you may end up with scans that need to be cropped in order to remove the edges that have a nice scan of the desk you were working on. Not important to me, but if you needed more professional scans for a presentation or something it may be something you need to think about. I would hate to scan 100 things and have to edit each one to remove it.

The device itself is nicely portable, it actually has the same width as my MS Surface Pro, so it fits easily into the tablet bag I use for the Pro. The scanner came with a sleeve to protect it.

My only complaint about the scanner is that you CAN'T hook it to a computer to instantly see your scan. You have to scan first, then connect it, and then it works like a removable drive with the files listed. It So if you are scanning a ton of pages, instead of being able to glance at each one on the PC as you go, you have to wait and do it all afterwards.

The software that comes with it is helpful, but not perfect. It converts JPG scans into Word, Excel, PDF, and Emails, but it cannot do anything with a PDF scan. This may be a limitation imposed by Adobe, or a ploy for you to upgrade to their professional edition ($90 at the time of this post), I am not sure. I do see the professional version gives you the ability to convert PDF files.
13 people found this helpful
on April 11, 2018
I was astounded at how good this was on my very first try! I tried scanning the colored software ad that came with the scanner and I had accidentally placed the paper so that the bottom was a little off the rounded part of the edge of my table. By the time I realized it, I already scanned most of the page so I kind of followed the page around the rounded edge. The result was very little distortion and the entire page was crystal clear! I was amazed it turned out so well despite the bad positioning of the paper on my part! Also I plugged it into my laptop (which runs Debian 9 Linux) and it recognized it as a USB drive and I could get the photos off the scanner's micro SD card (which I had purchased separately as it does not come with one) just as if it was a camera. Another plus was that they included two Energizer AA alkaline batteries. Usually anything that comes with batteries includes off-brand batteries that don't last long. So I was really surprised (and glad) that it came with some really decent batteries. The scanner also comes with a little carry bag, which is nice. Overall, I'm very happy with this scanner. I will be using it for important documents and receipts. Nice to grab it and use it without having to start up a computer.
on December 18, 2014
The good:
- It's small and portable. Battery life on two cheap alkaline AAs from IKEA seems to be decent.
- It is fully standards-compliant and requires no driver installation whatsoever, it simply writes files to a microSD card and then acts as a standard card reader when plugged into a computer.

The bad:
- It deals very poorly with even slight wrinkles or creases in what you're scanning. Even if it's an otherwise perfectly crisp piece of paper that's been unfolded from a standard business envelope, the resulting image will have some kind of a glitch in it. I tried to remedy this by buying a small rectangle of clear acrylic to provide a flat surface over which to scan, but this resulted in a blurry image instead of a glitchy one. A standard copier transparency helps a little if you're trying to scan a smaller item such as a receipt.
- There's a large dead zone on the scanner's margins, this makes it useless for scanning pages from a book of any size.
- Holding both the scanner and thing you're scanning as you try to swipe the scanner along its length at an even rate of speed can be awkward. Using a surface with some grip to it can help with this.

In summation, the concept is kind of neat, certainly not the worst piece of technology I've ever used, but for practical purposes, at this point I think I'll just invest in a standard flatbed or automatic-feed scanner.
7 people found this helpful
on April 2, 2014
I chose 5 stars because I wanted a product for a quick scan of pages and documents when I can't physically take and scan the document on a heavier duty scanner. When I first tried to scan something, it would not work until I realized that my microscandisc card was full. As soon as I replaced the card, clicked the scan button, began scanning once the green light was on and clicked the scan button again once I reached the other side and that was it! I looked at the scan on the computer and practiced until I got clean scans. Uneven surfaces were a challenge. Try to ensure it is as flat as possible! Once I got the swing of it, I scanned old military documents, obituaries out of photo albums, newspaper articles in binders, and the quality was perfect!

Be prepared to have your own micro sd card! The one thing I did not like was that the soft leather-like drawstring bag it comes with is too small. It only has room for the device, and not the usb cord. A week later, I purchased the protective hard case (advertised as people have also purchased...) It holds extra AA batteries, usb cord, and spare micro sd cards. I wish I would have had this Vupoint magic wand years ago instead of taking pictures of pictures and articles with a camera. Great buy!!
3 people found this helpful
on February 21, 2012
GREAT ITEM. BEING IN THE MILITARY AND DEALING WITH ALOT OF HAND RECEIPTS AND DOCUMENTS THIS ITEM MAKES IT VERY EASY TO KEEP ALL MY DOCUMENTS IN ORDER ESPECIALLY WHEN THERE IS NO COPIER MACHINE READILY AVAILABLE. I USE THIS THING ALOT. I ALSO LIKE THE FACT THAT YOU CAN USE THE USB CORD TO CONNECT TO A COMPUTER OR PULL OUT THE SIM CARD AND PLACE IN A CARD READER. GREAT ITEM, THANKS.
21 people found this helpful
on May 18, 2016
When I got my first VuPoint portable scanner wand as a gift, I wasn't sure what to do with it. It turned out to be excellent for saving documents at work, where I don't have access to a copier or scanner. It was also handy for scanning magazine or newspaper items, since you just roll it over them rather than feed the paper through it, When it wore out after several years of regular use, I had to replace it.

The new VuPoint scanner I have works just as easily, running off two "AA" batteries. It connects via the included cable to a USB port. Scans are saved on a Micro SD card (not included) and I can open them into an image editing program to trim edges. (I use Paint.) I do wish it had the monochrome setting of my older model, which could create smaller files for e-mailing, but it gives excellent results on any reasonably smooth, flat surface.

The scanner, along with its connector cable, fits in the included drawstring pouch, and I carry it in a pack with my laptop for work.
2 people found this helpful
on December 7, 2012
I bought it thinking that I could go to the clerk's office and copy the genealogical records to put on the computer, but although the clerks at the Smyth County Courthouse in VA can make copies for fifty cents a page, they maintain that a handheld scanner will damage the books. Since then, I've hand copied everything; it's slower but the spite value is tremendous.
I use the VuPoint for scanning old family photos and letters, though, and it works like a dream.
12 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on December 25, 2012
My mother is not tech savvy and she was having difficulty losing shortcuts on and saved picture files. This wand is very easy to use, requires very little setup and is easy to learn to use. If there is one drawback, it is how the files save. Pictures need to be renamed to jpg. A light comes on if you are trying to scan too fast and the image quality is not good enough. This is really a no brainer device.
Images are saved onto an SD card, which is not included. Double "A" batteries supply the power for the wand and a USB cable (included) when attached sends the scanned images to your computer. Great hand held tool. Scan framed photos. Throw it in your purse or backpack so you can take it with you to the library and use for a quick copier when you need a page from here or there, make a copy of a recipe in a magazine at the doctor's office so you don't have to tear the page out, scan the back of a package at the store so you can compare ingredients later.
3 people found this helpful
on November 7, 2015
My wand makes my daily email newsletter a lot easier to create. I run the wand over newspaper stories, then easily download it to my Apple laptop, edit, crop and enhance. I'm on my third wand now and I have had a couple of problems though. The first one (after a good year) would only scan by going from down to up, the opposite of how its supposed to be done. I got tired of that, so ordered a second one. That one lasted almost a year, and then, for some reason, it wouldn't download anymore! So I had to order a third one. After that one arrived, I was disappointed to discover that the scanned downloaded pics of newspaper articles were too dark to be useful. After several unsuccessful attempts to have it fixed by the VuPoint techs, they finally figured out how to fix it: they 'recalibrated' it using a gray sheet of paper, rather than the white sheet that accompanies the package you receive. So I give them an 'A' for fixing the problem. Finally, I really, obviously, like this wand and highly recommend it to you.