Spring Deals Automotive Children of Blood and Bone New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment. Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18SW_gno

on September 13, 2016
Incredible item! Some things you need to be saving for posterity are too big for your printer/flatbed scanner and this wand fills the gap. From artwork, pictures, books, you can scan and save it all. Separately buy a micro SD (which can be used with other things like cameras, computers, etc.) which spreads the cost, since micro SDs usually come with a standard size adapter. When I first tried to use the Wand I was not getting good results: Saw only a small slice of my document. I called the really great customer service and found out I was scanning TOO SLOWLY!. Took about 1 minute to explain and figure out. Thanks, VuPoint. Also you get the really valuable Paper Port software for scanning, searching and organizing documents. I used to work with this type of software before I retired, and I really missed it, but not now. Also included is a USB cable for connection to a computer, a cleaning cloth, batteries, and a storage bag for the Wand. I am impressed, so much so that I am buying two others for Christmas gifts. And, no, I am not an employee of this company LOL. It is just a very good product that meets my needs.
on December 18, 2014
The good:
- It's small and portable. Battery life on two cheap alkaline AAs from IKEA seems to be decent.
- It is fully standards-compliant and requires no driver installation whatsoever, it simply writes files to a microSD card and then acts as a standard card reader when plugged into a computer.

The bad:
- It deals very poorly with even slight wrinkles or creases in what you're scanning. Even if it's an otherwise perfectly crisp piece of paper that's been unfolded from a standard business envelope, the resulting image will have some kind of a glitch in it. I tried to remedy this by buying a small rectangle of clear acrylic to provide a flat surface over which to scan, but this resulted in a blurry image instead of a glitchy one. A standard copier transparency helps a little if you're trying to scan a smaller item such as a receipt.
- There's a large dead zone on the scanner's margins, this makes it useless for scanning pages from a book of any size.
- Holding both the scanner and thing you're scanning as you try to swipe the scanner along its length at an even rate of speed can be awkward. Using a surface with some grip to it can help with this.

In summation, the concept is kind of neat, certainly not the worst piece of technology I've ever used, but for practical purposes, at this point I think I'll just invest in a standard flatbed or automatic-feed scanner.
on May 4, 2015
First, make sure you also get a case for it (VuPoint PDSC-IW441-VP Solutions Carrying Case for Magic Wand Portable Scanner); it only comes with a thin little cloth sleeve on its own and the quality of your scan hinges on how clean and safe you keep the glass lens on the bottom. The case linked above is really impressive for the cost.

Next, it works just like the hand-held scanners I started with in the 286 era: scanning was more of an art than a science because how good a scan you get is 100% dependent on how steady your hand is. Until you get better, you'll often get all sorts of wavy distortion that even PS won't fix.

It's best for small projects, like scanning a cartoon or a 3 x 5 photo. I got it specifically for scanning illustrations in books without having to wreck the book itself, and it's far better at that then the results I got with my flat-bed scanner or camera phone. It's also more convenient, since I don't have to be anywhere near a computer to use it; it's perfect for doing research runs to the library. When you get home, it hooks up to your PC like plugging in an external hard drive. Since cards go bad from time to time, you'll want to dump your scans often.

It will scan to jpg (or PDF, but... why?) in either 300, 600, or 900 dpi and 8-bit color. Again, small projects work best. You can use up to a 32 MB microSDHC memory card, which will hold tons of scans even at the highest resolution (it has a counter on it, and I'm at 200+ now with the card around a quarter full).

It works great right out of the box, and seems especially well built given the cost (much like the case). It's weird to be pleasantly surprised like this, but boy was I ever. It's one of those things you never know you need until you get it.
on April 2, 2014
I chose 5 stars because I wanted a product for a quick scan of pages and documents when I can't physically take and scan the document on a heavier duty scanner. When I first tried to scan something, it would not work until I realized that my microscandisc card was full. As soon as I replaced the card, clicked the scan button, began scanning once the green light was on and clicked the scan button again once I reached the other side and that was it! I looked at the scan on the computer and practiced until I got clean scans. Uneven surfaces were a challenge. Try to ensure it is as flat as possible! Once I got the swing of it, I scanned old military documents, obituaries out of photo albums, newspaper articles in binders, and the quality was perfect!

Be prepared to have your own micro sd card! The one thing I did not like was that the soft leather-like drawstring bag it comes with is too small. It only has room for the device, and not the usb cord. A week later, I purchased the protective hard case (advertised as people have also purchased...) It holds extra AA batteries, usb cord, and spare micro sd cards. I wish I would have had this Vupoint magic wand years ago instead of taking pictures of pictures and articles with a camera. Great buy!!
on February 21, 2012
on May 18, 2016
When I got my first VuPoint portable scanner wand as a gift, I wasn't sure what to do with it. It turned out to be excellent for saving documents at work, where I don't have access to a copier or scanner. It was also handy for scanning magazine or newspaper items, since you just roll it over them rather than feed the paper through it, When it wore out after several years of regular use, I had to replace it.

The new VuPoint scanner I have works just as easily, running off two "AA" batteries. It connects via the included cable to a USB port. Scans are saved on a Micro SD card (not included) and I can open them into an image editing program to trim edges. (I use Paint.) I do wish it had the monochrome setting of my older model, which could create smaller files for e-mailing, but it gives excellent results on any reasonably smooth, flat surface.

The scanner, along with its connector cable, fits in the included drawstring pouch, and I carry it in a pack with my laptop for work.
on December 7, 2012
I bought it thinking that I could go to the clerk's office and copy the genealogical records to put on the computer, but although the clerks at the Smyth County Courthouse in VA can make copies for fifty cents a page, they maintain that a handheld scanner will damage the books. Since then, I've hand copied everything; it's slower but the spite value is tremendous.
I use the VuPoint for scanning old family photos and letters, though, and it works like a dream.
11 comment| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 25, 2012
My mother is not tech savvy and she was having difficulty losing shortcuts on and saved picture files. This wand is very easy to use, requires very little setup and is easy to learn to use. If there is one drawback, it is how the files save. Pictures need to be renamed to jpg. A light comes on if you are trying to scan too fast and the image quality is not good enough. This is really a no brainer device.
Images are saved onto an SD card, which is not included. Double "A" batteries supply the power for the wand and a USB cable (included) when attached sends the scanned images to your computer. Great hand held tool. Scan framed photos. Throw it in your purse or backpack so you can take it with you to the library and use for a quick copier when you need a page from here or there, make a copy of a recipe in a magazine at the doctor's office so you don't have to tear the page out, scan the back of a package at the store so you can compare ingredients later.
on November 7, 2015
My wand makes my daily email newsletter a lot easier to create. I run the wand over newspaper stories, then easily download it to my Apple laptop, edit, crop and enhance. I'm on my third wand now and I have had a couple of problems though. The first one (after a good year) would only scan by going from down to up, the opposite of how its supposed to be done. I got tired of that, so ordered a second one. That one lasted almost a year, and then, for some reason, it wouldn't download anymore! So I had to order a third one. After that one arrived, I was disappointed to discover that the scanned downloaded pics of newspaper articles were too dark to be useful. After several unsuccessful attempts to have it fixed by the VuPoint techs, they finally figured out how to fix it: they 'recalibrated' it using a gray sheet of paper, rather than the white sheet that accompanies the package you receive. So I give them an 'A' for fixing the problem. Finally, I really, obviously, like this wand and highly recommend it to you.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 16, 2016
I am really pleased with this scanner. The more I use it, the more I love it! I was not sure what to expect, as I am not much of tech person, and didn't know how difficult this would be to use. My one hitch, I bought a 64g SD card, and it did not work, it kept saying the card was full. I emailed the company on Friday night around 7pm and asked why, and had a response by Monday morning at 9am, which I was impressed with. I was informed that the max the scanner can take is a 32g card. I don't think that was noted in the instruction (maybe it was and I missed it). But after installing the 32g card, it worked beautifully. I am working on scanning pictures from an old photo album, so the surface is bumpy and uneven. For the most part, no problem with this scanner. I run the scanner quickly down the page and it's good to go. I've been uploading the pics to my computer and doing very simple cropping, and I can't get over how good the images look. I have a large printer/scanner that I'll probably get rid of now, as I never print, only scan and I don't need that big thing now that I have this. For $45 plus the cost of the SD card, I am VERY pleased with this purchase!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse