- Brand Name: Vulkano Flow
- Model Number: 010410VF
- Connectivity Technology: HTC-ExtUSB
- Item Display Weight: 3.15 pounds
Vulkano Flow Mobile Device for Viewing TV on the Go
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Watch & control your TV from anywhere in the world over Wi-Fi or 3G on any mobile device
- Record TV shows to your PC or Mac hard drive
- Pause, rewind or fast forward live or recorded TV
- Stream TV wirelessly around your home; watch TV on your deck, by the pool, or laying in bed with your iPad
- Easy to set up use; wireless set up makes installation a breeze
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Top Customer Reviews
* Installation was a breeze, with one minor exception, and it was really minor. I was a bit worried at how bare bones the installation instructions were, and the fact that they kept saying "Put this and this together and the computer will do the rest." But would you believe? It did. With two minor exceptions, which I'll address in the Cons section; but neither affects performance in any meaningful way.
* The software to play this thing on my PC can be downloaded for free.
* It does a fine job of allowing me to watch TV on my computer when I'm at home. Since my PC is a netbook that means I can carry the "TV" all over the house with me. I'm also in the market for a tablet, and if Vulkano works as well on that as it does on my computer, it will be more convenient still.
* It does a pretty good job of allowing me to watch TV on my computer when I'm elsewhere.
* Controlling the cable box from afar, whether over the ethernet or the Internet, is quick and easy.
* Live TV can be paused--which allows me to take snack and bathroom breaks on my own schedule, not built around commercial breaks or, in the case of premium channels, doing without altogether.Read more ›
I used a Slingbox for six years and replaced it with the Flow. I was ready for HD remote viewing (which my first-model Slingbox did not do) and I wanted to be able to record shows with the device, which no Slingbox will do. So here is my review:
Very versatile and useful device with easy installation, great picture, recording capability and comprehensive software suite. Needs to be a little more user friendly, though, for computer viewing.
The Flow installed simply and easily on my Win7 machine. Follow the steps in the little book and you can't go wrong. Would be nice if the Flow had HDMI input from the cable settop box, but it doesn't. It has only Composite and Component. I first used the component cables from Comcast that came with the STB, but got a very poor picture. Switched to the cables included with the Flow and it was great. No separate component audio cable is included, just use the included composite cable's audio leads.
No CD is included. You must download a 113MB instillation file from their web site (direct address in documentation) and install from it. Not a problem. You use the same download to install the player on other computers.
You will need your STB's manufacturer name and device name to set up the Flow. Once I entered this information into the setup dialogs, everything, well, Flowed without a hitch. I set the Flow up originally for wireless connection. It found my N-speed network effortlessly and that was done.Read more ›
* The low price point
* The virtual remote is an exact onscreen copy of the set top box remote for my U-verse TV
* Once set up, streams wired or wirelessly
But there are several things that could make this inexpensive player better:
* Component and composite are the only connection choices
* It takes 4 sets of cables to hook everything up to a TV - 2 of which are included
* Installation and configuration of the box could only be done wirelessly on my Windows 7 laptop
* There is no application for Windows Phone 7 to access content via the player
* The top of the box is very textured and will be very difficult to keep clean
* The top of the box is slightly arched so nothing can rest on top of it
* Stays quite warm so it must use a bit of electricity
Although the Flow does not have internal storage, the fact that I can control my home DVR via the interface makes that a moot point. Also, it will pause video or record what is currently watched by using the PC hard drive.
UPDATE July 2012: I have really got to like the Vulkano Flow more and more. Whatever you install the software on becomes a DVR for the device (if it has the memory of course). This means you can record your favorite shows onto your phone, laptop etc. while on your home network and then play them back later without the need for a data connection (great for traveling).
The best is the app for the Kindle Fire. It works very well streaming over Wi-Fi or recording to the device. The application also works really well with my AT&T U-verse receivers for tuning channels etc. The picture quality is very good even on the medium setting.
Finally, You do not need to hook the Flow up to your TV to set it up if you have a wireless network so the two sets of cables included should do the job.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
It worked for 2 months, then it stop working, I would never buy this again.Published 23 days ago by Miguel Herrera
I was very excited to buy this an it had excellent reviews. It seems the company has moved on to other things, and are not supporting this product anymore. Read morePublished 7 months ago by GeorgiaBoy
Buyer beware, this company has gone out of business. They are not supporting this device any longer and it has been over a year since any app updates. Read morePublished 9 months ago by Jason S.
Been using this product for almost 3 years now and I gotta say it works great.Published 11 months ago by Unknown
I previously wrote a positive review. I have enjoyed this device over the last 18 months. It's dead now. Fortunately, I paid a little more at the two-year protection plan. Read morePublished 12 months ago by Ryan Trout
What a great feeling! Where ever I stay, I have my home TV with me. I control my home TV set with my iPhone, iPad and my laptop. The only downside was the installation. Read morePublished 15 months ago by Lippi