Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

• Customer reviews

on July 31, 2016
Firstly, Amazon handled this beautifully. I purchased one of these Giraffes and after noticing the "fake" complaints, I went out and purchased one from Barnes & Noble and did a compare. Even though the "quality" of the one I purchased from Amazon seemed "ok", there was clear issues & errors with the packaging and toy itself that were dead giveaways. The one I bought was actually SOLD by Amazon. When I called their customer service, they immediately refunded the money and opened an investigation on their distributor. Please - everyone BEWARE, though I love Amazon, I would not purchase this product online. You have no idea what type of paint and rubber is used on the fake ones and taking the chance is not worth the few extra bucks savings. See pictures below for example of the issues on the fake. Some key things to point out:

1. On the real and fake one, the serial number and (c) SLG were on example the same spot
2. The font and colors were "off" on the fake one's packaging
3. There was spelling mistakes. My favorite is misspelling of Hevea tree.
4. The font and coloring on the packaging is different
5. On the bottom, I had a sticker that said "imported by Callison" vs. nothing on the fake
6. Hooves are bigger and more "defined" on the real one

I hope this helps everyone looking to purchase one of these great toys.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
630 helpful votes
631 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on February 27, 2016
Beware!! If you have a drooly baby, moisture will get in the hole and you'll end up with mold! We've had ours for two years and the entire inside is coated with black mold!

Update 1/17- Due to the increased interest in this review, I thought I would elaborate. I am a neat freak. I clean everything more often than I probably should. I have pipe cleaning brushes to clean my kids' sippy cups. I don't have squeeze-y toys in the bathtub. I did not put hot glue over the hole, because that pops right out if it's chewed enough and it would've become a choking hazard. I know how to clean. I spot cleaned Sophie following the directions. She never went in the tub, dishwasher or a boiling pot of water as all of those methods would've obviously gotten more water in the hole. This mold growth was due to excessively drooly babies using it for over two years for it's intended purpose- a teething toy. I realize this will not be everyone's experience, but it was mine.
review image
546 helpful votes
547 helpful votes
1717 comments|Report abuse
on October 8, 2013
We've had it for about 10 months before comparing with an authentic one and finding out that ours was fake. The body is thicker and has very unpleasant chemical smell which never goes away. Real one would have a pleasant rubber smell. Who knows what kind of chemical our baby has been sucking on... Also, the paint is pretty much gone now.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
756 helpful votes
757 helpful votes
1010 comments|Report abuse
on May 27, 2017
Sophie has been a staple in our home since 2011--3 of my kids and I have gifted more then a few to new moms. She is amazing, durable and fun. My husband just saw me writing and said "best damn toy we own, I like playing with it and I'm 40 yrs old, and it brings all the kids such joy" we have adored her for years <3
0Comment|Report abuse
My daughter loved her Sophie giraffe as a baby, and still love it to this day. I was skeptical about this product but I had to try it to see what all of the hype was about.

I have no idea why, but she LOVES this thing.

I didn't read the reviews on Amazon until after purchasing it, but after looking at the details, we luckily got the real thing!

So, I am glad I bought into the hype and found a product that my daughter and I both enjoy.
on February 28, 2017
My son loved Sophie. He would not let go of Sophie and he just shove Sophie in his mouth. As other have pointed out though, be careful about water going into the hole as it might cause germs to grow inside also pay attention to how your kid plays with Sophie. If you notice him chewing on the feet, it may be time to pull it out.
on April 2, 2014
We are on our 3rd Sophie. Not by Sophie's fault, unless she comes with an invisibility cloak, because we have lost two Sophies. My baby takes Sophie with him everywhere. He loves Sophie. I would venture to say that at 7 months, Sophie is the ONLY toy he loves. The cry around my house from parents, grandparents, uncles, siblings, etc, when my son is fussy is, "Where is Sophie?!" Because Sohpie will almost always calm him down. Think about it. It must be worth it for me to buy a third one at $20 a pop.

And I can say that so far (2 out 3, the 3rd one is not here yet) all of our Sophies bought on Amazon have been authentic. I am pretty sure all three have been ordered from different sellers. We will see when the third one gets here if they continue to be authentic.
on March 12, 2016
This thing is expensive, and I had my doubts about whether it was worth the hype. If you can afford it, it is. My baby LOVES to chew on Sophie. The giraffe is well-made and easy to wipe clean (just remember not to submerse her in water, per the instructions). She's easy for my baby to hold on to and offers different textures for her gums. I would buy this product again.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on December 17, 2016
My baby girl started playing with this at around four months. At this point, it's mostly a chew toy (especially when her two bottom teeth came in), but she has loved it for a few months now. We've used it many times as a toy in the car and it keeps her happy. It's a classic for a reason and I've given it as a gift to my friends with babies. It's just the right size, too. Also the fact that it squeaks helps when she needs a distraction from crying.
on August 21, 2017
It's a rubber giraffe in nice packaging. But to your child, this is going to be a major segment when they begin teething. I bought it prematurely at about 4mos and it wasn't interesting. Fast forward to teething at 10-11mos and it has become a staple chew toy. It's a good, safe, chewable toy to prevent chewing on everything else. Beware, it squeaks! May be a consideration if you have pets.