Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TNF TNF TNF  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 14, 2013
My son loved Sophie to an unreasonable extent so I have been buying this toy as a gift for any baby showers I attend. Two of my cousins were having babies (due the same day) so I went ahead and bought the double pack. I was disappointed that both toys were shoved into one single package. I hoped they would each have their own box. I ended up using one of the toys as a decoration on the top of the wrapped gift, so that worked out fine, but I wanted to warn anybody else who was wondering the same thing.
44 comments| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 23, 2013
I have a 2 year old and recently had triplets. I have a Sophie left over from our 2 year old, but wanted to purchase 2 more for the triplets. I thought this was a great, easy and economical way to order them. However, when we received them, I noticed right away that one of them did not squeak. The other once barely squeaked. I was very perplexed by this since these are supposed to be very nice teethers and are pricey. So I looked into it further. I compared these 2 to the one I already had and noticed several differences:

1) The squeaks were the most obvious difference. The "real" sophie squeaks extremely well, you barely have to press it and it makes the squeak noise. Even if you press on his neck, a nice squeak comes out. With these 2, they barely squeak at all!

2) There are serial numbers on the back of sophie's second leg. The "real" sophie has a very pronounced and PROTRUDING serial number. These 2 have barely visible indented numbers. Extrememly different than the real Sophie.

3) The coloring is slightly different. The real sophie has a brighter/darker pink color for its tongue and cheeks versus these 2 sophies.

4) The "real" sophie's front leg is slightly more bent than these 2 sophies.

It's hard to imagine that these are authentic sophies. I believe they are counterfeit and will be returning them. If they are counterfeit, I do not know where they were made and what they were made out of and I don't want my babies chewing on them!!! I'm glad I had another sophie to compare it with, otherwise I would never have known, which is what I bet they are counting on with unsuspecting buyers. PLEASE SEE MY VIDEO and PHOTOS WHICH CLEARLY SHOW THE DIFFERENCES.
review image review image review image
55 comments| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 24, 2013
We have a 5 month old and an almost 3 year old in our house- both boys, and and both love their toys. Since the 2 pack of the Sophies is a better deal than just one, and because I didn't want my older boy to be jealous of his younger brother's awesome giraffe toy, we decided to get 2. My almost 3 year old is getting his 2 year molars (late) and I've noticed lately that he's chewing on other toys that aren't really meant to be chewed on, so my hope for him was that he could chew on Sophie instead. My 5 month old just plain loves to chew on anything and everything, so my hope for him was that he would enjoy Sophie more than his hand, or my hair... or that blanket.. or the carpet. You get the idea. 2 months after purchasing Sophie (my boys were 2.5 and 3 months when purchased) I can safely say we're glad we did! I'm not entirely sure how often my toddler chews on Sophie, but I do know that his other toys are showing less teeth marks, so I'll call that a win. Also he just plain really likes the cute squeaky giraffe! My 5 month old is now starting to get his bottom teeth in, but even before that he loved gnawing on Sophie. She is incredibly easy for a baby to grasp and chew on, and pretty much every part of her is made for soothing baby gums. Unlike many other teething toys, she is soft enough that he can chew without getting upset because his gums hurt, but firm enough that it occupies him and soothes. Overall very happy with this purchase and would recommend to all new parents.
'
on October 11, 2014
Other than what I know for sure...
I was a little worried to order off amazon with the reviews of possible fakes and smearing ink running around out there. I had 3 baby showers coming up so I bought the two pack from here and another one from Target to have something to compare to. I wish I had thought to take pictures but I didn't. I was more worried about checking the toys and getting them into the gift baskets. I am confident mine were real.
I would say if yours smells bad or is missing the serial numbers or you're otherwise put off by it, send it back. I wouldn't take any chances when amazon does great with returns.
That being said I did soooooo much research and found that even on websites for brick and mortar stores reviews are similar. People had purchased Sophie in store and she still had a bad smell, or peeling paint. It seems some batches are just bad. Sophie also seems to have had minor appearance changes over the years meaning the one from a few years ago is probably going to look slightly different from the current ones. I have also found an article in the LA Times from 2009 referencing that the writer had a friend whose Sophie had all of the spots worn off, presumably from use and they still gushed over it. So Sophie losing color has been happening to some Sophies for a long time and definitely has happened to at least the one "real" Sophie. Smearing ink alone does not suggest a fake Sophie and I suppose that's why they use food grade inks. 2009 also seems to be well before the current fears of counterfeits (the first of those worries seeming to show up in 2011).
For sure China has had counterfeits in China. Sophie importers there have taken special measures to insure people can tell the difference in China. Other than people wondering if they have a faked Sophie there don't seem to be confirmed reports of counterfeit ones making it to the U.S.
So I would buy in confidence, but if it seems sub-par, send it back just to be safe.
By the way mine smelled like rubber but pleasantly, not overpowering and not at all bad. All had some variation in depth of color, spot placements, and even shape (but the shape differences were only ever so slight, and likely only noticeable because I was examining for any differences). All had serial numbers.
And my niece sure does love the darn thing.
on May 27, 2014
I was weary of purchasing these because of comments that the combo pack had fake Sophies. However, the ones I received were real. How do I know-- I've purchased a number of these things from places all over the country. My kid loves his Sophie and we inevitably forget/lose Sophie during key moments in his life e.g. first bike ride, first time meeting long distance relatives, getting in the car, sunset, dinner, Wednesday, nap time, getting out of the car. For my own sanity, I've stashed Sophies throughout the house and cars. Before you lecture me on how I should teach my child to cope, you should also know that I stash away granola bars and other snacks in the event my spouse gets hangry (angry as a result of hunger). It's all about survival. Don't judge.

I've purchased Sophies in single packs, in boutique baby stores, and from Amazon. Unless everyone has uniformly received fakes for their inventories, they are all the same. The first Sophie we bought years ago had a protruding serial number. The more recent ones have indented serial numbers, much like an etching. The coloring, squeak, and markings are all similar. I say similar because these are supposedly hand made, which leads to some level of variation.

My kid loves these.
on November 1, 2013
This toy is critical for times such as:
- Brunch with the girls. Give the baby Sophie le Giraffe to chew on and you'll get at least another 45 minutes of mimosa time to enjoy.
- Ever had a screaming baby in the back of a car for a long drive to the Grandparents house? I bet you have. Just toss Sophie Le Giraffe over your shoulder, aim for the car seat, and have blissful peace for another 30 minutes, until she drops it.
- Your United flight delayed on the tarmac AGAIN, just when you've perfectly timed her bottle and nap time around take-off. Passengers are cringing and shooting you filthy looks as they hear her screeching at you. Well....give her Sophie to gnaw on and you'll be the hero of the plane.

This is the best toy we have ever been given for our first born!

Further tips:
- Buy the two-pack. Our baby is 6 mths old, we've lost two already, and now I'm onto the 3rd.
- Keep in mind: My baby started teething at 2.5 months and Sophie was way too heavy and big for her little hands and mouth to hold. She really got stuck into it at around the 4 mth mark and we've never looked back.
- It's easy to wash.
- I ordered the two-pack from this seller and I received two separate toys in two separate boxes. Also, they were IDENTICAL to the toy I had bought at the store.
on November 22, 2013
Excellent product!!! These came packaged individually but arrived in the same box - not that it mattered since I was going to use both, but that might be useful if you buy this as a gift. The twins LOVE their Sophies for so many reasons:
1) They are easy to grab and hold for small hands - in particular they like holding the legs.
2) The twins took a little time to get used to the texture of Sophie, but now they LOVE chewing on every part they can shove in their mouths - ears, legs, feet in particular - Sophie provides a variety of wonderful textures and hardnesses for the kids to explore.
3) They love the sound of the squeak, even though they have not yet figured out how to make it themselves.
4) They can fit the legs far into their mouths to explore with the back of their gums and tongue.
5) Sophie is soft enough that if (when) the kids whack themselves in the face with her, they don't get hurt.

The twins haven't started teething yet, but they will soon, and I am sure Sophie will be wonderful to soothe their sore gums when the time comes. I would definitely recommend this product and am planning to buy another as a baby shower gift.
on September 7, 2017
Some people have good luck with these, we didn't. Niece just wasn't into it.
on November 17, 2011
This is by far my child's favorite toy. She loves her Sophie! It is a very cute toy, easy to clean, non toxic, nostalgic, and I don't worry about leaving it in the crib with my baby while she sleeps. The texture of the natural rubber really seems to sooth her sore gums. She has absolutely no problem holding Sophie in her tiny little hands and really gets a kick out of the squeaker. (me and my dogs, however, don't care much for the squeaking. haha)
I read other reviews before I purchased one for my baby and I just have to say that ours does NOT leave black stuff on my child when she plays with it. It does have a smell, but it is not overwhelming and my little one actually seems to like it. (Just remember to clean the toy before you give it to your child.)
Over all this is an excellent product. All my pregnant friends and family will be getting a Sophie Giraffe from me at their baby shower from now on. Will definitely purchase again through Amazon.com because of the lightning fast shipping and best price on the internet (when you buy 2).
on September 3, 2014
<sigh> I didn't think I'd become a Sophie supporter, but it's happened. I saw this glorified chew toy at a big-box baby store and couldn't believe people would spend $25 on a dog toy. But it's amazing. Every baby I have seen with this loves it. It's soft, they can reach their back gums and she's got all those nubbins. This pack is great because you get two for a much more reasonable price. I've bought this product twice -- it's great for when all of your friends are getting pregnant and you have a baby shower every other weekend.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.