Spring Deals Automotive Children of Blood and Bone New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on August 23, 2013
 I have a 2 year old and recently had triplets. I have a Sophie left over from our 2 year old, but wanted to purchase 2 more for the triplets. I thought this was a great, easy and economical way to order them. However, when we received them, I noticed right away that one of them did not squeak. The other once barely squeaked. I was very perplexed by this since these are supposed to be very nice teethers and are pricey. So I looked into it further. I compared these 2 to the one I already had and noticed several differences:

1) The squeaks were the most obvious difference. The "real" sophie squeaks extremely well, you barely have to press it and it makes the squeak noise. Even if you press on his neck, a nice squeak comes out. With these 2, they barely squeak at all!

2) There are serial numbers on the back of sophie's second leg. The "real" sophie has a very pronounced and PROTRUDING serial number. These 2 have barely visible indented numbers. Extrememly different than the real Sophie.

3) The coloring is slightly different. The real sophie has a brighter/darker pink color for its tongue and cheeks versus these 2 sophies.

4) The "real" sophie's front leg is slightly more bent than these 2 sophies.

It's hard to imagine that these are authentic sophies. I believe they are counterfeit and will be returning them. If they are counterfeit, I do not know where they were made and what they were made out of and I don't want my babies chewing on them!!! I'm glad I had another sophie to compare it with, otherwise I would never have known, which is what I bet they are counting on with unsuspecting buyers. PLEASE SEE MY VIDEO and PHOTOS WHICH CLEARLY SHOW THE DIFFERENCES.
review imagereview imagereview image
55 comments| 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 10, 2012
This item received a lot of mixed reviews - my favorite is how people describe this as a $17 dog toy. Let me be the first to tell you that this is one of THE best items to give your infant. The price did NOT scare me away - I knew I was purchasing a decent item that was non toxic and meant for a teething baby. When it arrived, I excitedly opened it and was pleasantly surprised at how ADORABLE this giraffe is!!!

Sophie is "so expensive" because she satisfies all 5 senses: sight, smell, touch, taste, and sound.

Sight: High contrast white with brown spots makes her easily recognized by young babies.
Smell: She has a very subtle rubber smell - intoxicating to me, because it brought me back to my childhood with that "new toy" smell. It's not overpowering like others described.
Touch: Her texture is very unique - unlike any kid's toys we have every bought. In some places, she is harder/tougher. In others, she is squishier. The feel is a rubberized smooth feel.
Taste: She tastes like rubber (yes, I tasted her!). It's satisfying because the texture on a baby's tongue is satisfying. The taste isn't overpowering like some rubber toys.
Sound: And of course, she has a squeaker. You either like squeakies or you don't. I happen to like the sound. It's cute and the reaction my son gives to that sound is priceless. Just be careful with dogs - ours went crazy at first because she thought it was a toy for her.

I bought the 2-set of Sophie because I wanted the one for my almost 4-month old son and the other for my 2 1/2 year old daughter. Both immediately loved her right away, and for that the price is worth it. If my son is crying, all I have to do is show him Sophie and he stops crying and starts to coo. For that, I'd have spent $50 on her!

Must have toy!!!
review imagereview imagereview image
on August 15, 2015
I heard that Sophie the Giraffe was a must-have so I ordered one and I'm glad that I did. My son loved to chew on it when he was teething and it brought him relief. I was lucky enough to receive a second one as a gift so we had one at home and kept the other in the diaper bag so that we always had one on hand. The legs are long enough to reach the molars which really helps to alleviate discomfort. The teether has held up very well. Shipping was fast and it was packaged well.
on December 14, 2011
Sophie is worth every penny!!! This is a perfect toy to purchase for a little one who is starting to hold toys and mouth them! I bought one for my little girl when she was 6 months old, and she is 18 months old now and still loves it!!
on July 18, 2013
Firstly, in case anyone is wondering (as I did), I received two individually packed Sophies! I was quite happy, as I expected to receive one box and have to send the other on without. But no, two sophies, complete with boxes - one for my own daughter, and one for her cousin who is three months younger. My own baby already loves her Sophie - which had been AWOL, just as a tooth was coming in! She finds Sophie very satisfying to chew, but sadly it is not her favourite toy. She has never quite managed to make it squeek ok her own, so it doesn't hold her interest very long - except when she wants to chew. When she wants to chew, nothing seems as good as rubber! She has always found Sophie easy to grab, though when she was much younger, she did find Sophie hard to get in to her mouth (4mo). It is one of her longest lasting toys, too, so that is a bonus. The paint does rub off with a lot of washing, so watch out for tha. Most safe-for-eating paints do, so don't let that put you off. It takes some harsh chemicals to stick paint on to a well loved baby toy. All in all I'd say this is a good toy, and this two pack is a great option - one spare or one for a friend!
on October 11, 2014
Other than what I know for sure...
I was a little worried to order off amazon with the reviews of possible fakes and smearing ink running around out there. I had 3 baby showers coming up so I bought the two pack from here and another one from Target to have something to compare to. I wish I had thought to take pictures but I didn't. I was more worried about checking the toys and getting them into the gift baskets. I am confident mine were real.
I would say if yours smells bad or is missing the serial numbers or you're otherwise put off by it, send it back. I wouldn't take any chances when amazon does great with returns.
That being said I did soooooo much research and found that even on websites for brick and mortar stores reviews are similar. People had purchased Sophie in store and she still had a bad smell, or peeling paint. It seems some batches are just bad. Sophie also seems to have had minor appearance changes over the years meaning the one from a few years ago is probably going to look slightly different from the current ones. I have also found an article in the LA Times from 2009 referencing that the writer had a friend whose Sophie had all of the spots worn off, presumably from use and they still gushed over it. So Sophie losing color has been happening to some Sophies for a long time and definitely has happened to at least the one "real" Sophie. Smearing ink alone does not suggest a fake Sophie and I suppose that's why they use food grade inks. 2009 also seems to be well before the current fears of counterfeits (the first of those worries seeming to show up in 2011).
For sure China has had counterfeits in China. Sophie importers there have taken special measures to insure people can tell the difference in China. Other than people wondering if they have a faked Sophie there don't seem to be confirmed reports of counterfeit ones making it to the U.S.
So I would buy in confidence, but if it seems sub-par, send it back just to be safe.
By the way mine smelled like rubber but pleasantly, not overpowering and not at all bad. All had some variation in depth of color, spot placements, and even shape (but the shape differences were only ever so slight, and likely only noticeable because I was examining for any differences). All had serial numbers.
And my niece sure does love the darn thing.
on May 22, 2014
I guess my twins are just weird because they don't really care for these. The first day it was like "ahhhh" and then...nothing. I'm glad I didn't spend $30 a piece for these or I would be mad. So I guess they are okay just depending on your baby.
on June 6, 2014
Like title it came as 2 sophies in 2 boxes. So this is a great price for 2 and especially if you are gifting one or both. Only complaint is one box came a lil beat up ,but that was to blame on the shipping process.
on September 3, 2014
<sigh> I didn't think I'd become a Sophie supporter, but it's happened. I saw this glorified chew toy at a big-box baby store and couldn't believe people would spend $25 on a dog toy. But it's amazing. Every baby I have seen with this loves it. It's soft, they can reach their back gums and she's got all those nubbins. This pack is great because you get two for a much more reasonable price. I've bought this product twice -- it's great for when all of your friends are getting pregnant and you have a baby shower every other weekend.
on December 23, 2015
These grew black mold inside of them after only a month of light use. We followed the instructions and had to throw the product away. Black, smelly liquid came out when squeezed. It was a total waste. I am very disappointed.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.