Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animespring animespring animespring  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Style: Brown Box|Change
Price:$23.49 - $23.53

Showing 1-10 of 5,400 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 6,591 reviews
on July 31, 2016
Firstly, Amazon handled this beautifully. I purchased one of these Giraffes and after noticing the "fake" complaints, I went out and purchased one from Barnes & Noble and did a compare. Even though the "quality" of the one I purchased from Amazon seemed "ok", there was clear issues & errors with the packaging and toy itself that were dead giveaways. The one I bought was actually SOLD by Amazon. When I called their customer service, they immediately refunded the money and opened an investigation on their distributor. Please - everyone BEWARE, though I love Amazon, I would not purchase this product online. You have no idea what type of paint and rubber is used on the fake ones and taking the chance is not worth the few extra bucks savings. See pictures below for example of the issues on the fake. Some key things to point out:

1. On the real and fake one, the serial number and (c) SLG were on example the same spot
2. The font and colors were "off" on the fake one's packaging
3. There was spelling mistakes. My favorite is misspelling of Hevea tree.
4. The font and coloring on the packaging is different
5. On the bottom, I had a sticker that said "imported by Callison" vs. nothing on the fake
6. Hooves are bigger and more "defined" on the real one

I hope this helps everyone looking to purchase one of these great toys.
review image review image review image review image
11 comment| 306 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 8, 2013
We've had it for about 10 months before comparing with an authentic one and finding out that ours was fake. The body is thicker and has very unpleasant chemical smell which never goes away. Real one would have a pleasant rubber smell. Who knows what kind of chemical our baby has been sucking on... Also, the paint is pretty much gone now.
review image review image review image review image
1010 comments| 687 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2016
I received Sophie today, and immediately opened the box and checked for the requisite serial number all the other reviewers say exists. It's there. And the box looks real. And Sophie smells like she should. And she's the right size. And the serial number is imprinted. And the copyright mark is imprinted after the serial number. And she squeaks and there are no misspellings on the packaging and there's a sticker on the bottom of the box, and, and, and. . .

And all of this adds up to NOTHING. I just spent a half an hour reading reviews and comparing pictures to my Sophie and making myself pretty crazy in general. I still don't know if this is a genuine item, and I really don't care. I'm returning it and will be buying Sophie from a local retailer listed on the Sophie USA website. I should buy locally more often anyway (Goals!). The extra cash I'll have to shell out is minimal and worth a lot less than the time I've already spent visiting Fake Sophie Stress Land.

Amazon, I love you. This is not the end of our relationship by any stretch of the imagination. But when it comes to a rather expensive, classic toy that is going into my child's MOUTH, I'm not going to stress out over a possible knock-off--no matter how good it is. 3 stars because I just don't know if this is good or not.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 23, 2017
When my daughter started teething I looked through Amazon and Sophie seemed to be the most popular teether here. So, although the price was a bit over 20$, I decided to give it a try.

But sadly, my daughter wasn’t attracted to Sophie at 7 months old and after. Occasionally, she’d hold and squeeze it. Often, she ignores it in the play yard. She loves her other rubber teether, though, so I don’t think it’s the rubbery smell.

To be fair, she loved teethers the most from 4 to 6+ months old, when the teething first started. Perhaps Sophie just missed this phase when she arrived our house. In contrast, my daughter’s older cousin used to love her Sophie.

Personally, I’m not into Sophie because I prefer quieter toys over the sharp squeak. There were occasions when my baby girl was sleeping and my husband accidentally stepped on Sophie and made her squeak!

My daughter hasn’t tested Sophie vigorously enough to judge its resistance to wear and tear.

What I like about it:
- 2-in-1: teether for baby, toy for older child
- Relatively easy to clean and maintain

What can be improved:
- Remove latex proteins in the teether to avoid increasing risk of latex allergy in babies
- Be proactive in ensuring product safety instead of waiting to be pressured into conforming to stricter standards
on February 16, 2016
After almost a year of use our little Sophie the Giraffe is still going strong. Her squeaker is still squeaking and the paint has not come off. I love the almost flowery smell of the natural rubber and the feel is wonderful as well. The rubber has a bit of grittiness to it, but it is so soft and easy for infants to grab onto and squeeze. One thing which I have notices is how dirt will attract and stick to the giraffe. I suppose it is due to the fact the toy is not hard and absolutely smooth. We are constantly wiping the toy down with a damp rag.

The reason I am giving the giraffe 4 stars is my daughter did not love this toy. I know so many people whose children absolutely adored Sophie and wouldn't put it down. The parents actually said it was like crack for babies. My daughter did play with it, but didn't love it. I personally love the fact the giraffe is made from natural rubber and I would actually purchase it again if someone I knew was going to have a baby. Like I said, I know so many people personally whose children loved the soft, squeaky giraffe and my daughter is in the minority.
review image review image
on January 29, 2015
 We originally bought Sophie from this exact link for my daughter three years ago, and she loved her. We just had another baby this year, and new baby loved her hand-me-down Sophie even more than big sister! Well, one day we couldn't find Sophie. We looked everywhere to no avail, so we ordered a new one for her for Christmas. To our dismay, the design is completely different! The squeaker in the new one is more like a dog toy squeaker. The old Sophie would squeak with any movement or chew (which is obviously a bit annoying, but better than a screaming baby!). The new one takes a lot more strength to squeak right in the body, and my baby can't do it on her own so she quickly gets bored with it. She still does like to chew on it, but it's not as fun as the old one. Also notable is that the new Sophie has darker spots, is leaner with a smaller head, and feels like much thicker rubber. It also doesn't smell as rubbery, which would be a plus if everything else was the same. We just found the old Sophie so I made a video demonstrating the difference (old Sophie is the dirtier, well loved one on the left). Call me crazy for caring so much about a squeak, but you want it to be a good one when you pay $17-20 for a baby toy.
on May 24, 2016
My 5 month old daughter LOVES her Sophie the Giraffe toy! This toy is absolutely wonderful in every way. Sophie is made of soft rubber and makes a pleasant-sounding squeak whenever any part of her body is squeezed, so even a young baby can elicit a reaction from the toy with minimal effort.

I don't know what it is about Sophie, but whenever my daughter plays with her, she gets very vocal and talkative.

I saw another review which referred to this toy as "a glorified dog toy". That reviewer is mistaken, and simply doesn't realize the value of this toy.

- Sophie's body, while soft, has several areas of thicker rubber (the nubs on her head, her ears, and her feet) which are perfect for teething babies to gnaw on for relief.
- Sophie's contrasting colors (spots) are visually stimulating to a baby.
- She is easy to grip given her long, thin neck.
- This toy is made of 100% natural rubber and uses food-grade paint (SAFE!).
- This is a quality baby toy which will last for many years.
review image
on April 6, 2016
This is a fake. I bought this to replace my daughters authentic sophie because the dog chewed her horn off and she no longer squeaked.. All Sophie's are supposedly hand painted so I'm not sure if the fact that the color is darker and the spots look a lot smaller lends to it being fake. This one is shorter than the authentic one. Also, the legs and tail look a lot different as if it was made in a different mold. Next to the batch number on the back of the leg is "@ SLG" which none of the authentic Sophie's have. In the pictures the authentic Sophie is on the left and fake is on the right.
review image review image review image
44 comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 19, 2014
We were so excited to give our teething 8-month-old this toy for Christmas (2013). She loved it instantly and carried it around constantly chewing and sucking on it. After three weeks of use, the color on the giraffe's ears and feet was peeling off. I can only assume that my baby had eaten what was no longer there. We could not have been more disappointed in a $20 TEETHING TOY. We returned our Sophie immediately to the seller (BabyHaven) who was very kind to work with and accepted our return with no questions. Two months later though, there was no refund in my account. I had to contact BabyHaven again to ask about it and at that point they promptly issued the refund. As a result of all this, I did some research on Sophie the Giraffe and found out that some online sellers are selling fakes, although they are packaged in very authentic-looking boxes. When you compare them to the real thing you can see the difference. I would recommend buying this toy IN-STORE ONLY from a major retailer with a reputation to protect.
44 comments| 128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 29, 2016
5 years ago when I had my first born, he never had any teethers nor was he seemingly wanting to bite on everything that came his way. Fast forward to 2016, my daughter was chomping on anything and everything. She had no interest any of her plastic teethers. This is the only teether that amuses her when we're in the car. As a fully breastfed Baby, it's even harder they won't take almost anything you give to them.
review image

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.