Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Style: Brown Box|Change

Showing 1-10 of 5,496 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 6,700 reviews
on July 31, 2016
Firstly, Amazon handled this beautifully. I purchased one of these Giraffes and after noticing the "fake" complaints, I went out and purchased one from Barnes & Noble and did a compare. Even though the "quality" of the one I purchased from Amazon seemed "ok", there was clear issues & errors with the packaging and toy itself that were dead giveaways. The one I bought was actually SOLD by Amazon. When I called their customer service, they immediately refunded the money and opened an investigation on their distributor. Please - everyone BEWARE, though I love Amazon, I would not purchase this product online. You have no idea what type of paint and rubber is used on the fake ones and taking the chance is not worth the few extra bucks savings. See pictures below for example of the issues on the fake. Some key things to point out:

1. On the real and fake one, the serial number and (c) SLG were on example the same spot
2. The font and colors were "off" on the fake one's packaging
3. There was spelling mistakes. My favorite is misspelling of Hevea tree.
4. The font and coloring on the packaging is different
5. On the bottom, I had a sticker that said "imported by Callison" vs. nothing on the fake
6. Hooves are bigger and more "defined" on the real one

I hope this helps everyone looking to purchase one of these great toys.
review image review image review image review image
11 comment| 494 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 8, 2013
We've had it for about 10 months before comparing with an authentic one and finding out that ours was fake. The body is thicker and has very unpleasant chemical smell which never goes away. Real one would have a pleasant rubber smell. Who knows what kind of chemical our baby has been sucking on... Also, the paint is pretty much gone now.
review image review image review image review image
1010 comments| 720 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERon March 23, 2017
When my daughter started teething I looked through Amazon and Sophie seemed to be the most popular teether here. So, although the price was a bit over 20$, I decided to give it a try.

But sadly, my daughter wasn’t attracted to Sophie at 7 months old and after. Occasionally, she’d hold and squeeze it. Often, she ignores it in the play yard. She loves her other rubber teether, though, so I don’t think it’s the rubbery smell.

To be fair, she loved teethers the most from 4 to 6+ months old, when the teething first started. Perhaps Sophie just missed this phase when she arrived our house. In contrast, my daughter’s older cousin used to love her Sophie.

Personally, I’m not into Sophie because I prefer quieter toys over the sharp squeak. There were occasions when my baby girl was sleeping and my husband accidentally stepped on Sophie and made her squeak!

My daughter hasn’t tested Sophie vigorously enough to judge its resistance to wear and tear.

What I like about it:
- 2-in-1: teether for baby, toy for older child
- Relatively easy to clean and maintain

What can be improved:
- Remove latex proteins in the teether to avoid increasing risk of latex allergy in babies
- Be proactive in ensuring product safety instead of waiting to be pressured into conforming to stricter standards
on April 6, 2016
Sophie the Giraffe is a must have for teethers! Our daughter had a terrible time with teething and it was a long drawn out process. Sophie was a great help in alleviating the discomfort she experienced. Sophie has long legs that are easy for the kids to get into their mouth and all the way in the back for harder to reach teething. Sophies head had many bumps and nooks from the little horns to the ears that gave it a more interesting texture for her to hold on to. The elongated neck and legs made it really easy for our daughter to hold onto her no matter where she was chewing on the toy. Sophie does have a squeaker but it isnt loud or obnoxious. It hardly ever squeaked very loud unless the body was compressed a lot. The colors are very muted and gender neutral. She is made of a soft hollow rubber so she is very chewy and squishy feeling. She is easily washed off but take care not to get water in the squeaker hole in her back. This is such a well made piece that Sophie will last long after your littles are done with teething.
We got this as a baby shower gift and were so excited to see our son finally showing interest in Sophie. Unfortunately, the squeaker definitely perked the interest of our dog, who normally shows no interest in any of our son's toys. Alas, the next time we see it, Sophie's ears are no more, nor does the toy squeak anymore. Funny thing is, we repurchased it and or dog was no longer interested at all. Perhaps she felt like she already conquered Sophie.
review image
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on February 15, 2017
This is not the real Sophie. The real Sophie is made in France with completely safe edible rubber. Pretty sure this is a cheap (probably toxic) made in China knock off. My kid loved her Sophie- we lost it, reordered here and she has zero interest in this one. Her old Sophie smelled slightly of vanilla this has a very pungent rubber smell. It's the wrong color, the wrong shape, and the wrong material.
on December 31, 2016
Two different friends recommended this product to us. We hesitated over the price (thought it high for such a small toy), but finally purchased it for our infant for Christmas. Overall, it's "ok." Honestly, it looks and feels like a dog toy. It even squeaks. Our infant is mildly interested in it. I think she'd be more interested in an actual dog toy. Like I said, it's ok. But, it's definitely not worth the price. If I had paid $7.00 for it, I would feel I got my money's worth. It seems that this toy is more of a "keeping up with the Jones's" type toy. "Everyone else has it, so I should have it too." Unfortunately, we fell for it. "But it's from France!" Well, if I was adding it to my non-existent French collection, then that's one thing, but this is a baby toy. I give it 3 stars because it is high quality (much like Kong dog toys). If I was rating purely based on value, it would get 1.5 stars.
on May 20, 2017
I love this little giraffe! This is "my" 2nd Sophie & I will continue buying, as long as the grandkids keep coming! I obviously don't chew on her but would like to think she was well worth the money. I will say that I've watched several videos of people cutting them open after being used for some time & it's pretty gross. For health reasons, I wouldn't suggest keeping Sophie longer than 6 months. No one wants their baby or grandbaby sucking on black mold, so be sure not to immerse the chew toy in water because there's no way for it to completely dry out & black mold will eventually take up residence. So keeping it to pass down to the next child, or donating it to someone else when you're finished with her is an absolute no-no! Take a picture & toss it, don't give a child health problems when you can avoid it by buying a new one. And now that Walmart has started carrying them, the price has dropped by $7-8 so that makes her even better!
on March 15, 2016
PROS:
• great teether
• easy for baby to hold
• tried, tested and deemed successful by many babies
• manufacturer seems to be honest about longevity and wear and tear of toy (acknowledging that the toy will age and should really only be used for a few years to ensure safest use)

CONS:
• high price
• there seem to be some differences in quality and potential "fake" ones out there
• looks and sounds a bit like a dog toy

Baby loves chewing on this — with the ears, legs and body there are lots of different places to chew. Our squeaker broke, so that is disappointing, but our baby didn't really care about the squeaker anyway (and this actually makes it appear a bit less like a "dog toy"), so it's still a good teether for us.

The quality of the rubber and paint are great, they're holding up really well, even after months of use. It is perfectly normal for some of the color to fade after lots of use, since the paint is food grade to be safe for babies. There is discussion of some fake Sophies, whose paint wears off very quickly and overall shape is not quite the same quality as the original — checking the serial number printed on the back of one of the legs seems to be an easy way to check for authenticity (you can email the manufacturer Calisson Inc to verify). For the real Sophies, there is a handmade element to how they are made (they can only use the mold to cast the toy a certain number of times), so slight variations in shape and coloring are normal and part of the vintage beauty of this toy.

The manufacturer website (Calisson Inc, FAQ section) gives some good background information on how to get the most use out of the toy and acknowledges that because of the baby-friendly materials used (100% natural rubber, food grade paint), this toy will age over time. A new Sophie should easily last through a child's babyhood, but may not be suited to be handed down, especially after being stored for a few years.
on April 19, 2014
We were so excited to give our teething 8-month-old this toy for Christmas (2013). She loved it instantly and carried it around constantly chewing and sucking on it. After three weeks of use, the color on the giraffe's ears and feet was peeling off. I can only assume that my baby had eaten what was no longer there. We could not have been more disappointed in a $20 TEETHING TOY. We returned our Sophie immediately to the seller (BabyHaven) who was very kind to work with and accepted our return with no questions. Two months later though, there was no refund in my account. I had to contact BabyHaven again to ask about it and at that point they promptly issued the refund. As a result of all this, I did some research on Sophie the Giraffe and found out that some online sellers are selling fakes, although they are packaged in very authentic-looking boxes. When you compare them to the real thing you can see the difference. I would recommend buying this toy IN-STORE ONLY from a major retailer with a reputation to protect.
44 comments| 129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse