Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition $79.99. Limited-time offer. All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now HTL17_gno

Vulli Sophie la Girafe
Style: Brown Box|Change

on July 31, 2016
Firstly, Amazon handled this beautifully. I purchased one of these Giraffes and after noticing the "fake" complaints, I went out and purchased one from Barnes & Noble and did a compare. Even though the "quality" of the one I purchased from Amazon seemed "ok", there was clear issues & errors with the packaging and toy itself that were dead giveaways. The one I bought was actually SOLD by Amazon. When I called their customer service, they immediately refunded the money and opened an investigation on their distributor. Please - everyone BEWARE, though I love Amazon, I would not purchase this product online. You have no idea what type of paint and rubber is used on the fake ones and taking the chance is not worth the few extra bucks savings. See pictures below for example of the issues on the fake. Some key things to point out:

1. On the real and fake one, the serial number and (c) SLG were on example the same spot
2. The font and colors were "off" on the fake one's packaging
3. There was spelling mistakes. My favorite is misspelling of Hevea tree.
4. The font and coloring on the packaging is different
5. On the bottom, I had a sticker that said "imported by Callison" vs. nothing on the fake
6. Hooves are bigger and more "defined" on the real one

I hope this helps everyone looking to purchase one of these great toys.
review image review image review image review image
11 comment| 592 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 27, 2016
Beware!! If you have a drooly baby, moisture will get in the hole and you'll end up with mold! We've had ours for two years and the entire inside is coated with black mold!

Update 1/17- Due to the increased interest in this review, I thought I would elaborate. I am a neat freak. I clean everything more often than I probably should. I have pipe cleaning brushes to clean my kids' sippy cups. I don't have squeeze-y toys in the bathtub. I did not put hot glue over the hole, because that pops right out if it's chewed enough and it would've become a choking hazard. I know how to clean. I spot cleaned Sophie following the directions. She never went in the tub, dishwasher or a boiling pot of water as all of those methods would've obviously gotten more water in the hole. This mold growth was due to excessively drooly babies using it for over two years for it's intended purpose- a teething toy. I realize this will not be everyone's experience, but it was mine.
review image
1717 comments| 534 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 8, 2013
We've had it for about 10 months before comparing with an authentic one and finding out that ours was fake. The body is thicker and has very unpleasant chemical smell which never goes away. Real one would have a pleasant rubber smell. Who knows what kind of chemical our baby has been sucking on... Also, the paint is pretty much gone now.
review image review image review image review image
1010 comments| 748 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 20, 2017
I love this little giraffe! This is "my" 2nd Sophie & I will continue buying, as long as the grandkids keep coming! I obviously don't chew on her but would like to think she was well worth the money. I will say that I've watched several videos of people cutting them open after being used for some time & it's pretty gross. For health reasons, I wouldn't suggest keeping Sophie longer than 6 months. No one wants their baby or grandbaby sucking on black mold, so be sure not to immerse the chew toy in water because there's no way for it to completely dry out & black mold will eventually take up residence. So keeping it to pass down to the next child, or donating it to someone else when you're finished with her is an absolute no-no! Take a picture & toss it, don't give a child health problems when you can avoid it by buying a new one. And now that Walmart has started carrying them, the price has dropped by $7-8 so that makes her even better!
PROS:
• great teether
• easy for baby to hold
• tried, tested and deemed successful by many babies
• manufacturer seems to be honest about longevity and wear and tear of toy (acknowledging that the toy will age and should really only be used for a few years to ensure safest use)

CONS:
• high price
• there seem to be some differences in quality and potential "fake" ones out there
• looks and sounds a bit like a dog toy

Baby loves chewing on this — with the ears, legs and body there are lots of different places to chew. Our squeaker broke, so that is disappointing, but our baby didn't really care about the squeaker anyway (and this actually makes it appear a bit less like a "dog toy"), so it's still a good teether for us.

The quality of the rubber and paint are great, they're holding up really well, even after months of use. It is perfectly normal for some of the color to fade after lots of use, since the paint is food grade to be safe for babies. There is discussion of some fake Sophies, whose paint wears off very quickly and overall shape is not quite the same quality as the original — checking the serial number printed on the back of one of the legs seems to be an easy way to check for authenticity (you can email the manufacturer Calisson Inc to verify). For the real Sophies, there is a handmade element to how they are made (they can only use the mold to cast the toy a certain number of times), so slight variations in shape and coloring are normal and part of the vintage beauty of this toy.

The manufacturer website (Calisson Inc, FAQ section) gives some good background information on how to get the most use out of the toy and acknowledges that because of the baby-friendly materials used (100% natural rubber, food grade paint), this toy will age over time. A new Sophie should easily last through a child's babyhood, but may not be suited to be handed down, especially after being stored for a few years.
on October 22, 2017
If you're having a baby and this isn't on your registry, just go ahead and add it now. You may tell yourself that you won't need it or you're going to try something else (like I did), and then one night your kid will be teething and screaming at 2 am and you'll finally cave and add this to your cart. You'll hit checkout and then immediately start pacing, watching for your delivery. Because at this point, you'll try anything. And everyone told you that this giraffe is THE ONE THING their kid loved. And you'll get it, and feel the soft rubber, and you'll hand it to your baby. And there will be a moment of peace. And your kid will carry that giraffe everywhere. So don't order just one, order two. Or maybe three. Because you're going to want a backup.
on May 27, 2017
Sophie has been a staple in our home since 2011--3 of my kids and I have gifted more then a few to new moms. She is amazing, durable and fun. My husband just saw me writing and said "best damn toy we own, I like playing with it and I'm 40 yrs old, and it brings all the kids such joy" we have adored her for years <3
on March 3, 2017
My daughter loved her Sophie giraffe as a baby, and still love it to this day. I was skeptical about this product but I had to try it to see what all of the hype was about.

I have no idea why, but she LOVES this thing.

I didn't read the reviews on Amazon until after purchasing it, but after looking at the details, we luckily got the real thing!

So, I am glad I bought into the hype and found a product that my daughter and I both enjoy.
on January 28, 2015
If you know someone with a small child and they don't have a Sophie, then please be a good friend/family member/coworker and get them one!!! Not only is Sophie adorable, but she's french so we like to talk as Sophie in a french accent :) Perfect size for chewing/gnawing/teething on. Non-choking hazard. Easily washable. Food coloring dye. Sophie will become as close a friend to you during teething as she is to your child. Must-have. I've gotten one for my niece and a coworker and both raved about it. I actually already have one for my child too.........except I'm without child and have no plans on having one anytime soon......can't ever plan too far ahead, right?......
on February 28, 2017
My son loved Sophie. He would not let go of Sophie and he just shove Sophie in his mouth. As other have pointed out though, be careful about water going into the hole as it might cause germs to grow inside also pay attention to how your kid plays with Sophie. If you notice him chewing on the feet, it may be time to pull it out.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.