Spring Deals Automotive Magazine Deals New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18PP_gno

Vulli Sophie la Girafe

on February 27, 2016
Beware!! If you have a drooly baby, moisture will get in the hole and you'll end up with mold! We've had ours for two years and the entire inside is coated with black mold!

Update 1/17- Due to the increased interest in this review, I thought I would elaborate. I am a neat freak. I clean everything more often than I probably should. I have pipe cleaning brushes to clean my kids' sippy cups. I don't have squeeze-y toys in the bathtub. I did not put hot glue over the hole, because that pops right out if it's chewed enough and it would've become a choking hazard. I know how to clean. I spot cleaned Sophie following the directions. She never went in the tub, dishwasher or a boiling pot of water as all of those methods would've obviously gotten more water in the hole. This mold growth was due to excessively drooly babies using it for over two years for it's intended purpose- a teething toy. I realize this will not be everyone's experience, but it was mine.
review image
2020 comments| 591 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 8, 2011
We've had Sophie for a little while, and until 3 days ago, I often recommended it to others. I am still a bit traumatized over what happened (and could have happened), and would definitely NOT recommend it unless a baby is secure and unable to roll over with it. I would also strongly caution anyone who owns this toy to PLEASE be careful and supervise your child at all times! I am extremely careful about my children's toys (choking hazards don't stay in the house!), yet the possibility of this hazard didn't even occur to me until it happened. Hopefully, sharing my experience will prevent a tragedy for another family.

My teething baby was chewing on Sophie and rolled onto his tummy (he is not yet able to roll from tummy to back consistently). When he rolled, Sophie's long leg jammed into his throat. Since he was on top of it and couldn't roll back, he could not get it out. I was right there and didn't even realize what was happening until he made a muffled crying sound. When I picked him up, he was already turning purple and immediately vomited and started screaming. Just another minute or two and the situation could have turned tragic. So far, neither the US distributor nor the manufacturer has responded to my attempts to contact them, but I'm hopeful they will respond and implement a design change (shorter legs?) to eliminate the possibility of this happening.
2121 comments| 426 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 23, 2011
Beware! This is a fake! I would have never noticed if I didn't hold it up beside a real one. They are totally different. I figured this out because the paint began to peel off immediately and my cousin told me she had the same problem with one she got off of amazon. She went to a store and bought a replacement that will not peel. When we compared the two, the colors of the giraffe are different, the spots are different, and even the shape and legs are different. It is a shame someone is selling these fakes, or at least a bad version of the toy since the paint will come off in a child's mouth.
4444 comments| 511 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 4, 2009
My name is Shelby and this is my video review of my 5-month-old son playing with Sophie the Giraffe. We love Sophie. She is very well-made and I hope seeing Sophie in action will be helpful to others. Also, I think I repeat myself a little in the video--sorry about that!

*****UPDATE 3 AND 1/2 YEARS LATER*****
Little Theo in the video is turning 4 at the end of this month and I wanted to comment on what a long and useful life his Sophie had. She endured years of some very hard chewing and never cracked, tore, or got any holes. She got a little dirty and lost some paint, but other than that she was still going strong when Theo finally outgrew her. Her long legs turned out to be perfect for those 2 year molars as well, since they reached all the way back. I ended up throwing her away since it seemed like a really gross hand-me-down, but she was structurally in as good a condition as the day we bought her.

Now we're on baby #2 and Sophie #2. Our daughter had six teeth (four on top, two bottom) when we adopted her at 16 months old and she took to Sophie right away. If you're wondering if Sophie is a good teether for an older infant or a child who already has some teeth and a strong jaw, I give that a wholehearted "Yes!" As long as there are still teeth coming in, Sophie is fantastic.

Please be aware that no young child should be left unattended with any toy including Sophie. Because of her size and shape, she is easy to remove from a child's mouth should something go wrong. As I said, our Sophie lasted over 3 years without any cracking or splitting.

We STILL love Sophie, even after all of these years. Happy teething!
5150+ comments| 1,701 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 2, 2009
I find it alarming just how many parents are praising this thing. As a parent, you want to protect your children. When learning about all the protective measures this toy takes, most parents would be on board. But I know better. I did a little under-the-microscope research and have reached some alarming conclusions about this toy.

First of all, the name "Sophie" (a nickname for "Sophia") is of Greek origin. A little known fact is that the ancient Greeks oftentimes ate their young for food or sacrificed them to their many gods. Giving a baby toy a name that descends from a line of baby-eaters is puzzling.

Even more puzzling is the deliberate use of a giraffe. There are no records of a giraffe appearing in Greece in the wild. How then are we supposed to believe that this thing can be both Greek AND a giraffe if the combination is simply not possible?

This choice of species is even more alarming to anybody who has read the Greek epic "The Odyssey". At one point in the story, Odysseus and his crew arrive on the shores of Africa and encounter none other than a giraffe. The giraffe was seen as a demonically tainted horse and struck fear into the hearts of Odysseus and his men.

Still not convinced? Look at the gallery of customer-submitted pictures. The majority of these photos feature a baby masticating the face of their Sophie toy. A cute gesture, or the only defense a baby has against the demonic animal? Think what you believe, but my research points towards the latter option.
2222 comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 29, 2009
We just got this for our infant, and I couldn't help but give it a bit of a test chew, myself. Now, I obviously don't have a huge deal of experience (or, memory, rather) with teething toys, but this is good stuff. Very satisfying to bite on. I'm thinking of getting a second one for myself to use in the office to deal with stress. Much better than my kid's silicone pacifier, which I've also tried.

My only complaint is that the giraffe appears to have fluorescent lip stick, which is a bit disconcerting to see in a giraffe, even a French one.
3030 comments| 867 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 11, 2008
My 5 month old daughter LOVES her Sophie the Giraffe toy! This toy is absolutely wonderful in every way. Sophie is made of soft rubber and makes a pleasant-sounding squeak whenever any part of her body is squeezed, so even a young baby can elicit a reaction from the toy with minimal effort.

I don't know what it is about Sophie, but whenever my daughter plays with her, she gets very vocal and talkative.

I saw another review which referred to this toy as "a glorified dog toy". That reviewer is mistaken, and simply doesn't realize the value of this toy.

- Sophie's body, while soft, has several areas of thicker rubber (the nubs on her head, her ears, and her feet) which are perfect for teething babies to gnaw on for relief.
- Sophie's contrasting colors (spots) are visually stimulating to a baby.
- She is easy to grip given her long, thin neck.
- This toy is made of 100% natural rubber and uses food-grade paint (SAFE!).
- This is a quality baby toy which will last for many years.

I would much rather pay $20 for a safe, engaging toy for my baby, than pay $5 for some piece of junk with lead paint.
2323 comments| 540 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 6, 2008
Initially, we fell in the camp of enthusiastic adorers of this toy. Baby learned to pass it from hand to hand, retrieve it when lost and gaze intently into the friendly face. Then he managed to stuff one of the long legs deep into his mouth and started to gag. The legs are exactly the size that can block airways. Since he was supervised, nothing bad happened, but babes at this age (4 months) don't have enough control to pull back the toy from their mouths when already scared by the gagging. I don't think I'll try again at a later date -- even older babes are still too young to be trusted to react correctly when a leg goes too far in.

This toy has many thoughtful features -- no-slip texture, right-size for hands, light weight, soft (no banging on heads), friendly face and an engaging presence. But the legs can choke, which is why we've replaced it with a friendly velvet rocketship...
3434 comments| 214 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 8, 2013
We've had it for about 10 months before comparing with an authentic one and finding out that ours was fake. The body is thicker and has very unpleasant chemical smell which never goes away. Real one would have a pleasant rubber smell. Who knows what kind of chemical our baby has been sucking on... Also, the paint is pretty much gone now.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
1010 comments| 779 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 6, 2016
This is a fake. I bought this to replace my daughters authentic sophie because the dog chewed her horn off and she no longer squeaked.. All Sophie's are supposedly hand painted so I'm not sure if the fact that the color is darker and the spots look a lot smaller lends to it being fake. This one is shorter than the authentic one. Also, the legs and tail look a lot different as if it was made in a different mold. Next to the batch number on the back of the leg is "@ SLG" which none of the authentic Sophie's have. In the pictures the authentic Sophie is on the left and fake is on the right.
review imagereview imagereview image
44 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.