Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animespring animespring animespring  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Capacity: 1 TB|Style: HDD - 7200 RPM|Change

Showing 1-10 of 7,330 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 7,601 reviews
on October 26, 2014
I gave this drive to someone as a gift, and they've been using it for backups for 10 months without issue.
My review is based on another unit of this drive which I bought for myself some months later. I've been using it as my primary desktop OS/programs drive since 5/29/2014, so it's about 5 months now. There have been no problems thus far. It's really quite a bargain for desktop use if 1TB is all you need.
The actual capacity of this drive is 931.5GB. That's an old marketing trick which can be blamed for the pointless redefinition of all our real, long established data measurements with those silly "i" characters. I won't dwell on it any further, but 931GB is the true capacity when measured in base 2, as all data is correctly measured.

This 1TB Blue drive uses a single 1TB platter spinning at 7200rpm. There are 2 heads (each side is 500GB).
A single platter design is usually better for reliability than having multiple smaller platters, because there are fewer points of failure, the assembly is lighter, the motor doesn't have to work as hard, and less heat is generated.
Single platter drives will also tend to be quieter, but due to my configuration I can't judge the noise level.

There has been much discussion and testing among users in online forums, including WD's forum, which repeatedly show that the 1TB Blue and 1TB Black perform the same. It appears the only benefit of the 1TB Black is a longer warranty. Some Blacks are faster than this drive, but the 1TB model is not.
Compared to a Green, the Blue is faster owing to it's faster rotation speed. The Green drives also have an "intellipark" feature which causes them to keep parking the heads after a few seconds of inactivity. This can cause laggy response and extra wear. I dislike that design - I believe power management functions should be left under the control of the operating system, which can account for user preferences and what is happening in the rest of the system. Hardcoding this behavior into the drive is ridiculous, in my opinion. The Blue behaves the way I prefer - it does not use "intellipark", it stays ready to roll until directed otherwise through power management commands from the OS.

I wish they were making the Blue series in larger sizes - it seems this 1TB is the end of the line. I don't care for the Greens and the Blacks are more expensive.

Partition/Sector Alignment
--------------------------------
Please be aware that like most modern drives, this drive uses 4KB sectors (also known as "advanced format"). If you are using Windows 2003, Windows XP or older, as I am, don't let Windows handle the partitioning of this drive. This is even an issue on unpatched versions of Vista and Windows 7. These older versions of Windows will believe that the physical sectors are 512 bytes, when in reality they are 4KB. As a result, the partition(s) will not be aligned with the physical sectors. It will still work, but performance will be reduced.
Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP and older do not have any update to fix this, but it's not a problem as long as you do the partitioning with a suitable 3rd party utility. I think Western Digital offers a tool for this, but I've never tried it. Once the partitions are set, it's fine to let Windows format them.
For my Windows XP install, I used a recent version of GParted to partition the drive. GParted can be downloaded and burned to a bootable CD, or installed to a USB flash drive. Just use the option to align your partition(s) on 1MB boundaries. This is the easy way to ensure they are aligned correctly for the best performance. Then boot your WinXP install disc and let it format the partition that you already created. It sounds harder than it is, it's a minor hassle but it's simple.
If you ever change the partitions, once again use GParted or a similar utility that handles alignment for modern hard disks. Don't use the built-in XP partitioning. But again, once the partitions are created, it's fine to let Windows format them.

The built-in partitioning is fixed in Windows 8.
According to Microsoft, it is fixed in Windows 7 after installing Service Pack 1 - you would need to have that service pack before partitioning the drive, not after.
Again according to Microsoft, it is also fixed in Windows Vista *after* installing update MS KB 2553708 - I assume this is automatically installed for people who use automatic updates, but I don't know that for a fact. This won't do you any good if you're doing a fresh install and your install disc predates the required update.

The partition alignment detail I've described above is an issue you will encounter with any recent hard drive, it's not unique to this model. If you ignore it, performance will be affected but it will still work. You may see Seagate drives implying that they are immune from this, but in reality, they are not. All modern "advanced format" drives, of any brand, will perform better if sectors are properly aligned. But it's not a big deal - just use a modern partitioning utility and then you're set.
----------------------

I just tested this drive using "Roadkil's Disk Speed" on Windows XP 32-bit. I'll cut out all the variables and just give the linear transfer results with large block sizes. My drive has a few partitions and there are lots of files on it, so this might affect results.
First partition (first 20GB): 170-178MB/sec linear read
3rd partition (physical location range is from 28-628GB): 153-177MB/sec linear read
Last 300GB is unpartitioned so I can't test that range.
I don't think the random access test is useful, because my partitioning greatly influences the result.
There's a test mode for the whole physical disk, but it's results are too inconsistent.

This drive is a great bargain if you just need a simple, inexpensive, well performing 7200rpm hard disk. I was tempted to try a Seagate SSHD, but I couldn't justify the cost compared to this. If I was shopping today, I'd look carefully at the HGST and Toshiba offerings as well, but from the WD side this is my pick for a general purpose 1TB desktop drive.

Update: It is now 11/2015. This drive is in my desktop PC, used daily, and still works fine.
Some months ago I ran a benchmark on this drive using the linux utility "gnome-disks". The random access performance measured out to a 15.7ms average. This is mediocre, but expected from a quiet drive. Screenshot is attached. It also shows the transfer rate across the disk (read test only, I didn't test writes).
review image
33 comments| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 19, 2017
Worth every cent. I had been putting off buying a much larger stroage drive. Finally got one now I can store much more for much longer, get bulk files off of my work drives etc. This drive is a storage drive, not a performace drive. I use it to store files, movies etc. For gaming, and the such, I either use my SSD or my WD BLACK hard Drive. I am glad I picked this up, I have not had a single issue with it, and it has freed me up to do more with my other drives as I no longer have to have them filled up with large files I rarely use. Below are the color codes for WD drives. I do not know how different their performance are from one to another or if it is all marketing, but here it is.
BLUE = Solid performance and reliability for everyday computing.
BLACK = Maximum performance for power computing.
RED = Increased workloads and reliability.
PURPLE = Designed for Surveillance DVR storage.
GOLD = WD Gold HDD is designed for Servers
on September 19, 2016
this review is for the WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive (WD10EZEX) ...
I purchased TWO of these drives (delivered together) for two custom computer builds. I attempted to install Windows 7 on the first one, and upon the first restart the computer went straight to the "CHKDSK" mode and it indicated bad sectors... I restarted again and got a B.S.O.D.
So, OK no problem... I installed the "other" new Hard Drive and the Windows 7 program loaded and ran just fine... but I discovered that the other new Drive is beyond just being noisy on a Cold Start... (it actually screeches a little) but it does quiet down to a more tolerable level in a minute or two, when it warms up... and so, I told my customer about the problem and apologized for the inconvenience, when he came to pick up his new computer, and told him to bring it back for Hard Drive replacement if it did not quiet down after some "break in" time... He was not upset, but all in all, this is a pretty disappointing product experience... The Good News is that Amazon makes the return process very easy. a new Hard Drive was shipped out and the Bad one was returned in the box it came in, with a printed return label from my copy machine... "Five Stars" for Amazon customer service... and only Two stars for the Sorry performance of the Hard Drives. These drives are the very first drives from Western Digital that I ever had a problem with. and unlike previous drives that I purchased from W.D., I must say that they actually feel very cheap and light... My first "Red Flag" with these two Drives, was that neither New Drive needed to be "initialized" by windows, before they could be "formatted" and that is the first time that has ever happened with a Brand New Hard Drive... traditionally, brand new hard drives need to be initialized before they can be Formatted and used... and that made me suspicious that these May Not in fact be brand new... I don't know but maybe something has changed in the Manufacturing process, and perhaps all new hard drives come pre-initialized now... but if that's true, that is new information to me... I will update this post if there is any problem with the replacement drive that I receive. But what I can say with absolute certainty that I will ONLY buy the Higher quality Western Digital "RE Enterprise" Hard Drives with the Yellow Label, from now on. they are worth the extra $35.00 (at current prices), just to make sure that I don't have to apologize to another customer for giving him a newly built computer with a sub-par Hard drive inside.
on December 8, 2016
There are more than enough reviews of this disk as an internal drive. My interest, however, was to use it as an external USB drive, and that is what this review focuses on.

The 3.5" WD Blue 1TB hard disk drive (WDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0), has attractive properties for storage purposes: a formatted capacity of ~954 GiB out of its nominal 976 GiB --usually described by manufacturers as 1000 GB--, a 7200 rpm rotation rate, a 64 MB cache, a SATA III interface with a 6GB/s speed, and S.M.A.R.T. monitoring.

It is not the top of the line of Western Digital SATAs, at least in terms of the length of their limited warranty (3 years for the WD Blue versus 5 years for the Black, although there are claims of not too different benchmarks), but because of its relatively low price it has a 'drive value' index similar to the top non-SSDs. This makes the WD Blue 1TB a good choice as an external USB drive for the storage of media or data, in particular incremental backups (especially when disk writes caching is enabled), since top performance values are unrealistic for serving as a guide for external USB devices, where performance is primarily dictated by the USB specs and manufacturing compliance.

The figure below shows results of a free benchmark app in wide use, Crystal DiskMark, for the Blue 1TB used as an external USB-3 storage drive (left table) and --to provide some perspective to these values-- for an internal SSD with a good performance as a system drive (right table) -- the latter, which was partitioned into two logical drives, has a capacity of 512 GB, and both devices are quite comparable in the fraction of used capacity, ca. 40%, which is important since performance declines as a drive gets full. The first line in both tables are the averages of sequential 5 reads and 5 writes with multiple queues and threads for a relatively large data block; this measures how quickly large files (e.g., backups or multimedia) can be read from or written to the drive. The second line are the averages of random 5 reads and 5 writes with multiple queues and threads for a small block; this measures how quickly many small files (e.g., when copying large app folders or loading programs during operating system startup) can be read from or written to the drive. The third and fourth lines mirror the above two but using only a single queue and thread. The lower performance of the Blue 1TB is only due in part to USB transfer issues; published data indicate that, if used as an internal drive, the values in the left table would have increased by less than two fold. Nevertheless, its performance is quite appropriate for external storage.

I mounted the WD Blue 1TB vertically in a dual-bay USB3 docking station, and it is typically quiet but for some clicks when it starts spinning. A negative finding is its temperature after many hours of use: compared with a 2.5" WD Blue 500GB disk that warms up to about 24C (75F) in the second bay of the open docking station, the Blue 1TB gets hotter in the range of 35-40C. Temperature is often claimed to affect drive reliability (but see "Failure Trends in a Large Disk Drive Population" by Pinheiro and co-workers, 2007), so I put close to the station a small USB fan with an adjustable speed set to a low value to keep it quiet, which brings the Blue 1TB temperature back to the below-30C range.
review image
TOP 50 REVIEWERon March 29, 2017
I have a veritable rainbow of WD drives (red, green, blue) between my PC, Drobo and newly built NAS and they are all real workhorses. I have yet to have any of them fail or misbehave even after 8 years. I know certain colors are best suited for certain applications, but I find the blue drives to be the best bang for the buck and most versatile. I bought this most recent 4TB blue to install in an old PC that I turned into a Plex media server/home made NAS. I've been wanting to have a dedicated media server for some time and finally had the chance to do it but needed more storage space. The PC I had has a 1TB hard drive that I wanted to remain dedicated to running software and store all of my movies, tv shows, documentaries, and kiddie crap (haha) on its own drive. I installed this the other day and loaded all my visual media on it (I keep pictures and music on yet another drive) and I still have room to spare. I immediately connected the new server to Plex through my Roku 4 and watched a movie (1080p) on the TV while streaming another to my phone and had no trouble whatsoever! I know a lot of the buffering problems stem from inadequate CPU and mine is good, but just in case you're wondering, these blue drives have no trouble streaming content from when you've got adequate transcoding power in your machine. A lot of people would tell you you need red drives but old blue does just fine in my experience and is so much cheaper!

For those of you who are new to installing new hard drives, it's a piece of cake but just be aware that this drive does not come with any cables or mounting hardware, so you'll need to be sure you have your own SATA cable and an available power source cable as well as screws or whatever you need to mount it in your case. Also for the newbies, you can't just plug and use, you'll need to go in to your drive manager and name/format it before you can use it. This is also very very easy to do and only takes a few minutes and then you're ready to go!

I don't use these WD drives to boot and run software anymore (it's all about SSD's for that now - buy one, it will change your life) but I use these drives to hold and back up all of my data for me and I love them! You really can't get more storage and a more reliable drive for a better price than this. And don't be freaked out because the picture shows the inside of the hard disk, this is a fully enclosed drive (see pics). Hope this helps! Happy computing! I did NOT receive this for free or at a discount.
review image review image review image review image
on April 2, 2017
It is my professional opinion, based on decades of building, upgrading and repairing PCs, that Western Digital makes the most reliable hard drives in the marketplace. I believe this 4TB hard drive from Western Digital continues their tradition of "cool and quiet" performance and outstanding reliability, and this particular offering is in the "sweet spot" of cost per unit of storage, where you get the most bang for your buck.

I replaced two 1TB hard drives with this single 4TB unit, to double my capacity and reduce complexity (my two 1TB drives were configured as a RAID stripe set, which increases transfer speed but also doubles the risk of failure). The upgrade was easy, I was able to quickly move my files to the new drive, and it is humming along nicely now at just over 50% capacity.

I use this to store all of my files. I have an SSD for my main/system drive, which stores the OS and applications and loads everything lightning fast. I was concerned initially about the slower 5400RPM rotation speed of this drive, but it has not been a problem at all. When I was transferring files to the new drive I was getting between 140-200MB/sec, which is great for a mechanical hard drive.

The drive is warm to the touch but not hot. I fully expect this drive to perform for years trouble-free, just like the Western Digital drives it replaced, and the Western Digital drives that they replaced before them.
I had recently purchased an external hard drive case that is usb 3.0 and I used an old Seagate 1TB Barracuda I had laying around to expand my sons hard drive on his xbox one. Unfortunately the old seagate didnt stand a chance...It worked for a few weeks and then I got the dreaded TICK TICK TICK noise...hard drive platter was ruined...Not sure what happened. Anyway, I already had the 3.0 enclosure with fan so I opted to get another bare hard drive to install in there. I have always had Seagates and to be honest this is the first that has failed me. But it is indeed 8 years old. I installed the new WD in the enclosure in less than 2 minutes and plugged it in. I formatted it for xbox one and installed his games there. We played a few games and everything works like a charm. With the 6GB transfer rate I dont think its going to be an issue. Granted this is day one. I write a ton of reviews so I will be back to let you know if there is any changes in the hard drive.
PRICE: For what I have invested in the hard drive and the fan cooled enclosure it is still cheaper than buying an external hard drive. Not by much as they are getting cheaper, but some.
INCLUDED: You should know all you are getting is the hard drive..There is nothing else in the box. No instructions or cables or plugs or whatever you need to use for your project. This can be installed in a desktop PC that takes a 3.5 hard drive or a 3.5 hard drive enclosure. If you are unsure on how to install this please google it..Remember you live in a "video" era and you have unlimited knowledge at your fingertips.
EASE OF USE: Simple PLug and Play ...You will need to format it for the xbox one. Put it in a 3.5" USB 3.0 enclosure and plug it in. Then follow the onscreen prompts. Its as easy as clicking a button.

Like I said before I have always been a Seagate fan because that is the first brand I got 8 years ago and it lasted this long. This is the first WD I have had so I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one. I do hope this review helps someone out there. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. If you found my review helpful, let me know. Lets keep making better buying decisions together. Thank you for reading and as always Be Safe & Happy Shopping!!
review image review image review image review image review image review image
33 comments| 122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 1, 2016
On a 2009 Sony Vaio desktop, I decided to take advantage of the free Microsoft upgrade to Windows 10, just to make sure I had another valid Windows 10 license "in the box", so to speak. Because the Vaio is still in good shape, I thought I might as well upgrade its hard drive, as the 500GB ex-Tivo drive I had in there was getting a bit noisy, so I ordered this dirt cheap terabyte Western Digital drive. Long story short, Windows likes large hard disks, it makes the operating system run faster, due to the virtual memory it likes, and, at 7200rpm and 6GB/s SATA, this is a pretty quick drive. The install was painless, I cloned the existing drive to the new drive, updated Windows, which became Windows 10 Pro, and despite the aging Pentium the Vaio has a new lease on life, and is impressively peppy. The drive isn't just fast, it is virtually noiseless, and runs cool, SMART tells me. Back in the box, should I need it..
on July 14, 2016
Working in IT I've come across many different hard drive vendors, and Western Digital by far destroys the competition. I've seen Western Digital hard drives going strong for easily 12 years with no problems whatsoever. These blues are fast, quiet and of course, economical. When one of my clients needs a hard drive upgrade, or when theirs goes out, I drop in one of these and I'm on my way.

If by some strange stroke of bad luck and one of these drives goes bad, I simply head over to Western Digital support, quickly get an RMA request filed and presto I have a new drive.

Now brands like, Seagate...I'm lucky to get 2 years out of them. If there's one brand I hate, it's them; if a drive is dead, unresponsive, has errors, makes noises, runs hot, there's a 99% chance it's a Seagate-- I'd rather use a potato than a Seagate... Western Digital hands down.
on October 15, 2016
I never thought I'd be leaving a not-so-good review for a Western Digital hard drive. I've favored WD drives for many years. A hard drive has to work reliably or it's completely useless. So I don't give super high marks for the device just doing its job. The drive is working.

The gripe I have is the drive isn't very well balanced. My computer now makes a droning sound when the new drive spins up and I can feel vibration on the outside of the case. It's yet to be seen if this will impact the drive's life span. I've never had a WD drive sound/feel like this. I hope WD isn't starting to let their quality control slip.. Historically Western Digital is one of the safest & most reliable drives to buy. It will be nice when high-capacity solid state is cheap enough that spinning drives are no longer a consideration.