Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning _fab _fab _fab  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Color: NoColor|Size: NoSize|Change

Showing 1-10 of 212 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 231 reviews
on October 27, 2006
I have been trying to find a rust-proof, high quality can opener in stores for years. Thankfully, I finally found one at Amazon.com. The WMF Profi Plus Stainless Steel Can Opener is outstanding. It cleans immaculately in the dishwasher without rusting or spotting. It is very sturdy, and it operates smoothly and comfortably in your hands and fingers. Some inferior can openers are clumsy to use, and they can even pinch your fingers. No so with this can opener!

There are more positive attributes of the WMF Profi Plus Stainless Steel Can Opener such as its brushed stainless steel surface which is rich and contemporary looking. Its simple, sealed design is hygienic as well. There are not alot of unnecessary crevices where food and bacteria can get trapped as with other can openers. My husband, who normally doesn't pay much attention to kitchen utensils, was gushing about how well this can opener works and how beautiful it looks.

This is one of the best kitchen devices I've ever found. Thank you Amazon.com for making it available to consumers at a reasonable price.
33 comments| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 12, 2012
Purchased this in Nov 2009 after churning through countless barely-steel Chinese made can openers. This one is made from 18/10 German steel, although manufactured in China. The steel gearing did not slip at all, and the cutting mechanism never lost its edge, the two main problems we'd encountered with every chinese can opener to date. Unfortunately, the plastic spacer and crank mechanism just fell apart this week. It's never gone through the dishwasher, never been beat up, etc. The plastic portion just broke to pieces and then came off all together. So, back to the search for a can opener that can stand up to the "mom's can opener that we had for 20 years" we're all still looking for.
VINE VOICEon January 23, 2010
What can I possibly say that hasn't been said already? It's a WMF! That stands for top quality, and "that's that" ... I had to laugh at another reviewer's comment "does what it's supposed to do". Yep, it does, and unfortunately that can't be said for everything nowadays.

I was tired of short-lived crap even when I bought a manual can opener made by KitchenAid. The hinge wore out, and the blades no longer met properly but clipped the can instead and knocked it over before I could free one hand and grab it. Not fun when tomato sauce ends up on the kitchen counter instead in the pot! Calling my husband to help because three hands were needed to open a lousy can was ridiculous, so this time I went online to look around for something I can live with.

Time will tell if the hinge remains tight, but since it's a WMF I expect it to last. And this thing cuts soooo smoooooothly. NICE! Sleek, comfortable to hold (turns out the fat handles on some openers aren't the best idea after all), and, grin, yes, it "does what it's supposed to do."

Update 9 April 2012:
By now I would have tossed out every other can opener because it no longer cuts smoothly or doesn't grab the can well anymore or has gotten rusty -- but not the WMF. It performs as well as it did on the first day. I think I've finally found the last can opener I needed to buy in this lifetime...!
on May 4, 2016
Had it for exactly a year ....treated it with kid gloves, washed and dried by hand every time I used it. It did get some rust on the gears and today it fell apart. A thin metal blade on the cutting part bent and it will no longer open cans. I had to borrow a neighbor's can opener because I was in the middle of making dinner. Last time I spend this much on a "miracle " can opener. I will stick to the Swingline and throw it out when it gets rusty.
on March 5, 2017
Made in China. Didn't even last two years of light household use before gears were completely stripped out rendering this useless. You would be better off buying a cheap one every year.
VINE VOICEon September 18, 2009
I had a generic Good Cook brand can opener which I used for several years, after purchasing it from a grocery store. It broke one day, so I stopped by Crate & Barrel to get a lever-action can opener. What a mistake, that thing was terrible. Couldn't even bite into the lip of the can. So I went onto Amazon to find a high quality, long lasting can opener. After reading the other reviews, I settled on this WMF steel opener.

Of course the first detail that drew my attention was the WMF brand. They make a lot of high quality kitchen tools, and this is no exception. The tactile feel of the can opener is amazing; the grips are solid and very substantial, definitely quality here. The construction is entirely stainless steel; unfortunately the rotating knob is plastic, but it's a very nice piece of plastic.

When I opened my first can, I couldn't believe how easily the can opener cut into the lip. I thought that perhaps the can opener hadn't properly gripped the can and was just gliding on the top; this thing opens cans like a hot knife through butter. It looks sophisticated and looks very nicely in the kitchen too.
on August 20, 2003
I works as advertised! opens many different style of cans with ease, what more can one ask. sturdily constructed, it seems it will last a very, very long time. nice to look at. what's not to like? perhaps the stell finish tends to look spotty if you do not carefully wipe it down after cleaning but..overall highly, recommended.
on May 25, 2010
Heavy duty, and a good product, but why put a plastic handle on a stainless steel gadget? Everything is steel except the little plastic handle you turn to open a can. Even all the cheap can openers I've owned all had metal openers.
on February 24, 2007
I have chucked the much praised Swingaway which was rusty after ordering this one chosen for its rust resistence. The two handles are very comfortable in the hand.
on March 22, 2016
What.? a lemon maybe.? I had such high hopes... Judging by the reviews, looks like you either get a good one or a bad one, and you know it on the first can... Let me start by saying that we have one of these at the office, the thing opens a can like crazy, I liked it so much that I ordered one for home.. the very same kind.. The WMF (I know what that stands for now.. worthless m-f) that I received would be better advertised as some sort of a hand grip exercise device or a trick can opener... firstly, I found it required a incredible amount of pressure to even pierce the lid of a can, because, only if you hold the opener in a perfect position will it even pierce through. Then you have to hold the opener and can at a some strange magic angle or it cranks itself off track and turns the can sideways spilling liquid everywhere and have to start over..and over.. and over.. frustrating. So, with a "proud of my purchase look", I handed it to my wife to try, and she got the very same result and so my son tried, again, with the same result, we are now back to using our old worn out can openers for now.. but I keep trying this one here and there, but its just no good. Like I say, because I honestly want to be fair, we have the very same one at work and it is a "can opening marvel" but mine stinks..BAD..! Nobody will even attempt to use the thing but me.. just lays in the drawer while we still struggle with our old ones (that cost MUCH LESS).. this experience has me questioning whether to order another... for heavens sake, its a can opener, that wont even open a can... German can opener with a made in China sticker... The on I received arrived packaged in a plain manilla envelope.. no box no no bubble card no packing material.. maybe it was damaged in shipping.. maybe I received a previous return of a faulty product..? oh well... t's a hand killer... super frustrating..

UPDATE: FINALLY.. I got so frustrated with trying to use this lousy, useless piece of expensive kitchen clutter, that I through it in the garbage... Folks, a can opener has "ONLY ONE JOB".... THIS THING IS SIMPLY NOT WORTH A HOOT..!! besides my frustration over it's inability to function as it should and the feeling of being jipped... I can't say enough bad about this product.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.