BCA Month Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 7, 2012
If you want to know if you should purchase this book I will explain who this is for and who this is not for.

First the Review part: In trying to figure out a good WPF book I purchased a WPF4 book from the "Unleashed" series version first. I live close to a B&N so I drove down there and they both looked OK so I went with the cheaper of the two. It was horrid!!! Keep in mind I am coming from the side of a c# programmer. I am not interested in the XNA side of things. And the "unleashed" press version totally stuck to XNA, which in my opinions is totally pointless for everyone even if your are only a GUI designer because that is completely automated by visual studio! This WROX version of the book just touches on the XNA by listing out all the options which I think is great! It still gives some XNA examples which isn't totally pointless because C# or XNA wise you need to at least see a list of the available settings. But it has it all in c# as well. Also, it's a MUCH BETTER balance of visual and coding examples. Which is usally my gripe about WROX. To me, I feel like they usually pack in sooo many topics that they only touch on a few examples and leave me wanting for more. But this was just to my taste. And, in my bitter cynical whiny opinion, even if the Unleashed version had more c# it was still very spotty in is coverage and the flow was pretty bad.

Who is if for part: So if you are a programmer that knows c# then I would say go with this. You must already know c# or have a good c# reference or you need to be familiar with visual studio and have a c# programmer. If you are just the GUI designer then you should be comfortable using the tools list and the properties list in visual studio, but you wont get any action unless and you have someone coding for you.
on August 13, 2013
It is a good book about WPF programming reference.....It is a full color book to help me to understand WPF. The code examples and thoughtful organization of the content is great !
on March 19, 2010
This is a really nice book with full color and great print layout. The source code is easily downloadable, compiles and runs without any issues with many very nice examples. There may be a few typos in the book; however, I have not found any issues yet. I think this is a terrific book which is a very valuable resource for both learning and as a reference - I highly recommend it.

David Roh
on March 18, 2010
I have seen a lot of samples on the web on WCF. I finally decided to buy this book and I have absolutely no regrets. Although, I have been doing development for 15 years, I was completely lost while with no organized content out on the web. I can bet this book should definitely help folks starting to develop WCF apps.
on April 14, 2010
Don't be fool by the look of this book as I did. It is worthless and you are NOT going to learn anything what so ever with this. Wrox also published $6.00 ebook (Create Amazing Custom User Interfaces with WPF C Sharp and XAML in NET 3) which worth every cent. If you are interested to buy manual on WPF then buy book (from APress) Pro WPF in C# 2010: Windows Presentation Foundation in .NET 4 (Paperback). Don't waste money on such a silly book.
on May 22, 2010
I have to begin by discussing the readability of this book. This is the first full color programming reference book I have read. As WPF is focused on user interface development, the full color print was certainly the right choice. Of course, this required a different grade of paper than I've experienced in other books and initially when I began reading the book, I found myself often double checking that I had not flipped two pages instead of one. After a couple of chapters, I was used to the phenomenon and no longer felt the need to double check the page number often.

The chapters are short, averaging 20 pages, but cover each titled topic. This made for easy reading as I could choose to read one, two or even more chapters depending upon how much time I had available. With many other professional books I have read, the chapters are usually much longer and I often had to stop reading in the middle of a chapter, losing any context, which meant backtracking a few pages when I had the chance to resume reading.

While the chapters cover a lot of material, many seemed to lack the in depth detail I've come to expect from professional reference books. Initially, I was disappointed, particularly in topics I wanted to learn more about and prompted my interest in this book in the first place. However, I soon realized that the chapters were providing me the basic conceptual knowledge and the correct terminology.

And then I discovered the appendices, all sixteen of them. For these alone, this book will remain within reach from or on my desk as long as I am developing applications using WPF.

Since the details are usually lists of properties in large tables, which are difficult to read (also known as "sleeping aides"), I thought the idea of separating them from the topical discussions in the chapters a refreshing idea. It shows how the organization of the material presented in the book is well thought out. Not only do the chapters start with foundation concepts and increase in difficulty as you progress through the book, but they also presents topics in an order that build upon themselves. For example, once past the introductory chapter, tools are discussed, followed by basic controls, followed by methods for styling controls and so forth.

Your level of experience will dictate how you read this book. A beginner will read it from cover to cover, while a more experienced developer will probably skim the initial chapters until they reach concepts they are not familiar with. This is what I did, and even as a developer with years of experience, including having already developed several WPF applications, I still found myself slowing down and reading some of the initial chapters with care. And in the later chapters, I found understandable explanations on topics that I had previously struggled through hours of Google searches, trials & errors, and failed attempts.

I wish I had had access to this book about a year ago! Even while reading this book, I found myself returning to those WPF applications I had previously built and refactoring them. Only slightly. I promise! Yeah, right... (rolls eyes.)
on September 27, 2011
From the introduction....

This book also doesn't cover programming the code behind the interface. It demonstrates some of
that code so you can learn how to write your own code, but it doesn't cover C#, Visual Basic, or any
other programming language in detail.

The Cover: WPF Programmer's Reference: Windows Presentation Foundation with C# 2010 (THIS BOOK HAS VERY LITTLE TO DO WITH C#)

THIS BOOK IS NOT a WPF 4 C# Programmer's Reference. If you are looking for a C# Programmer's Reference Book, this is NOT the book for you as the cover of the book would lead you to beleive. My rating has to do with what the Cover Implies and it being a Programmer's Reference for WPF and C#. If you are looking for a XAML Markup Programmer's Reference than this book may be for you. I have moved to WFP not because of XAML markup but because of other tool loading graphic file not in Windows Form Applications and was looking for a Programmer's Reference for WPF and C#.

If the title read WPF XAML Programmer's Reference I would have gave it 4 stars, this book is not about C# Programmer's Reference it is a XAML Programmer's Reference.

I usually never give reviews but I was looking for a Programmer's Reference for WPF 4 and C# and for that purpose this book is of no use. Sorry.
on July 19, 2010
I'm a VB coder and lack any C# background. I was reluctant to buy this book because of that. However, this book greatly exceeded my expectations. This is a reference book and as such the content and examples are written in a manner to expose the fundamentals of WPF development. The color text makes reading and understanding the XAML a breeze. Rod has really gone to great lengths to include every related WPF topic. I recommend this book for beginner and intermediate developers who need a good WPF reference book.
on April 20, 2010
The author words: "I don't want to receive a bunch of flaming e-mails complaining that some of the material is too basic, so I am warning you right now!" describe my overall feeling about this book, it is just too basic... and too superficial. As example: only 17 pages to cover layout, that is: Canvas, DockPanel, Expander, Grid, ScrollViewer, StackPanel, StatusBar, TabControl, ToolBar, ViewBox and more... No much depth anywhere.

While it claims to cover both VbNet and C#, that is done mostly by using almost exclusively XAML, in fact, and the examples are isolated examples of XAML, not complete project, so while it MAY be relevant to the illustrated point, I am not sure that someone NOT knowing anything about WPF could easily get a working, hand on, experience from this book, and would be rather left with the question: where do I really start? Why things do not work for me? Sure, the reader may acquire some theorical knowledge of the UI parts, isolated, ... but missing a lot of integration between the various parts, and practical work with XAML, that is very unlikely to help in the end, imho, *even* for very experienced 'code monkeys' (experts in cut and paste code for external source).

Given that the book can hardly be used as a reference one, in the long run, since it is far too basic, and without 'experience of life', I have a problem to identify the targetted audience.
44 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 24, 2011
I found this to be a tremendously useful and well-written introduction to WPF, with many good code examples and thoughtful organization of the content. The use of full color was really helpful. I would strongly recommend this book to anyone who is approaching WPF, especially first-time learners.