Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by us the duo STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 11, 2010
A few nights ago our temps dropped to 13 degrees, which is blasted cold for our area! When I left work at midnight, I was freezing by the time I got to my car...nevermind the fact that I live eleven miles from work and my little car didn't warm up enough to stop my shivering until I was halfway home. I vowed I'd get SOMETHING to use for heat, thinking I'd get a little heater that plugs in to the cigarette lighter. I searched on Amazon and read the reviews for those, and there are several different makes and models, but they are less than glowing to say the least. I came across this item and decided that it was worth trying. I got it today, put it in my car, and when I left for work I could feel the warmth coming through my wool coat before I was two houses away from my house! I didn't need it at that time, but it sure was exciting to know that when I leave for home tonight I'll be toasty warm in just a couple of minutes. If it doesn't last more than one winter, it will still be worth the few dollars it costs if I have to buy a new one every year! I do need to mention this, though; the control switch on the cord doesn't look anything like the one in the picture on Amazon. It has no markings on it, so I have to figure out which position is High and which is Low. Once I do that I'll mark them myself. Thus, the four stars instead of five.
18 helpful votes
19 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
VINE VOICEon November 29, 2011
I'd never have known about this product if it hadn't been a Gold Box deal. I saw it, and decided to try it.

It's very basic. The back of the seat cushion goes over the back of your car seat via 1" wide elastic bands. Secure the seat section under your car seat with hooks on mini-bungee cords. Plug it in to your car charger, and set it to low or high. When you're finished with it, turn it off and unplug it.

The heating wire extends halfway up the back portion of the seat cushion.

I have FANTASIZED about a contraption like a heating pad to put in my car in the winter. I just didn't know they were already in existence. Yes, it works, and it isn't too bulky, and hasn't bunched up. I was sufficiently impressed and bought another to give to my husband. Even if it isn't that cold out, the warmth soothes my back. I really love this thing, but I can't give it five stars right now. If it lasts more than one season, I'll edit my review. It doesn't seem sturdy enough to last for years, so for now, 4 stars. I would buy another one next year. It's so worth not having to sit on a 15 degree car seat!

Trying to think of a good gift for someone you think has everything? If they don't have heated car seats, buy this! Anyone who lives above the Mason-Dixon line needs something to heat their car seat.
on December 10, 2010
My car is about ten years old and takes a while to heat up. I'm in NY and winters get cold.
I've only had this seat cover for a week so I can't talk to its durability, but here are the things I really like about it:

-- Warms your butt in about 2 minutes, if that - it works fast!
-- Temperature controls you can use from your seat, that let you choose Low, High, or Off
-- I have no problem with the straps to keep the cover on my backrest
-- The material itself is polyester - I avoid leather-type materials because I find them to be less comfortable

The only thing you have to remember is, ** take the plug out of your cigarette lighter when you're done using it! **
It draws power and you don't want to do that with the car off.

Also, it will take up your cigarette lighter, even if you have one of those adapters that transform a cigarette lighter outlet into multiple outlets, because each outlet has less capacity than the original 12 volt cigarette lighter, and you need all 12 volts to power this cover. You can't plug this into one hole of a 2-hole outlet adapter.

For $20-$25, if you have a car that takes any more than 2 minutes to heat through, this is money VERY well spent!
58 helpful votes
59 helpful votes
66 comments|Report abuse
on March 10, 2011
I truly truly love this product! Living in MN, I must admit, I should have added on the seat warmers when I purchased my car, but my cheapness got in the way. This winter was especially brutal so I decided to get one seat warmer for my car. It heats up so quick and within minutes my ride became nice and toasty. I loved it so much I bought three more, one for my passenger seat and two for my husband's car. The only complaint is that although there is hi and low heat settings, they are both pretty darn hot. I think the hotter the better, so that does not bother me, but my husband thought it was too much. Also, you have to remember to turn it off or unplug when the car is parked. My husband left it on and it drained the car battery completely which turned out to be a nightmare to jump in the freezing cold. It stays in place just fine and I have had no problems during the past three months. I love this product and I'd like to recommend it to everyone I know!
on October 2, 2011
Ive had the seat heater for roughly a month now and Ive already drained my battery once. Which really sucked cause I live in an apartment and I had to daisy chain two jumper cables to reach my car that was next to two other cars. The seat heater itself is pretty sweet and I wish I had found it when I had my Lexus IS which has leather seats standard. The seat heater itself is very cushiony(word?) and makes my cars sporty seats much more tolerable. I live near Chicago so I havent tested it in winter yet but it sure is nice in this fall weather and great for my back!
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on November 6, 2012
Like others who have reviewed this item, I've owned 3 sets of these in the last 3 years. At this price point, don't expect them to last more than one season. But to their credit, they do work well when they are new.

I've learned to augment the installation with some "mini" bungee cords, available on Amazon.com (Keeper 06051 10" Bungee Cord - Pack of 4) or at most hardware stores. These 10" mini bungees can be used to fasten the cushion to your seat in place of the fragile little plastic clips provided that break easily.

Remove the four plastic clips installed on the elastic band tethers on the corners of the Wagan seat cushion. Use four mini bungee cords by slipping the elastic tether loops over the bungee hook, then fasten the other end of the bungee to something under the seat - or simply wrap it around the seat post and secure the other end back to the elastic band.

You can also use another bungee to connect the corner bungee cords to one another - depending on the availability of something to anchor to. The bungees provide a number of options for securing the seat cushion that simply aren't available with the plastic clips supplied.

I was never able to get the plastic clips to stay in place - and frequently they ended up breaking making them useless. Installing with mini bungee cords makes this product a lot less frustrating to install.
on March 3, 2011
I got two of these for Christmas and started using them in January. They worked well for a few weeks,then one didn't seem to heat up very much. When I went to unplug it, the plug was completely melted! I was using the heater in conjunction with this Wagan Twin USB and 12V DC Cup Holder Power Adapter and thought that perhaps it was faulty, so I unplugged it, returned it and the heater and used the second seat heater plugged directly into the car. Two days later my sister and I were driving and could smell melting plastic. We hurried to unplug the heater and it was smoking and melted! I use this same plug to charge my phone, iPod touch and bluetooth headset and have never had a problem. I doubt now that the adapter had anything to do with it, as I have still used the plug with my phone and iPod and they have worked fine.

Amazon refunded my money, but I can't help but wonder if I hadn't been so diligent about unplugging the covers, would they have ended up catching the whole car on fire??

Very disappointing, and out part of the money for restocking. Be careful with these!
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
VINE VOICEon December 8, 2012
I have always been jealous of the seat warmers in my sister's car. When I ride with her in the winter, I turn them on as soon as the car starts. My car is older and doesn't have heated seats. But now it does! This doesn't get as warm as the factory installed ones in my sister's car, but it does warm up fairly quickly and helps me be more comfortable in cold weather driving.

Two things keep me from giving it a 5 star rating. First, the back seat pad is too short (and I'm only 5'6"). My back feels cold in comparison above the top of the pad. The other concern is that this is only going to last one year based on the reviews of people who have had their heated seqat cushions longer. Although it isn't too expensive, I hate having to throw away products that only last a year. If it is going strong next winter, I'll come back and give it the extra star, even though it will still be too short.

It was easy to strap to my car seat and stays in place well.
on December 26, 2012
The seat cushion provides heat rather quickly and has been nice so far this winter. The cushion doesn't heat well in the upper back portion, and moves around quite a bit on my seat. There are no installation tips or tricks, and I have a small car (Yaris), so I didn't imagine the cushion would move around as much as it does on my small seat. Overall, I'm glad I purchased the heated seat cushion because it heats up so quickly, but I will probably go with a different brand/model when this one quits working.
on February 5, 2012
I live in N. CA and it gets cold-though no snow or ice. My car heater broke and we can't repair it. When driving late at night, even with gloves, hat, scarf, and coat, I get home half frozen. Until now! This is what I did to solve the problem:

I bought the Wagan IN9738-5 12-Volt Heated Seat Cushion( on sale $14.95 from Amazon), the (Heated Fleece Travel Electric Blanket - 12 Volt - Red Plaid-$26 from Amazon) and a Roadpro 12V, 2 Outlet Platinum Series Fused Cigarette Lighter Adapter with Short Cord ($8.50 from Amazon) so I could use both items.

The cig. Lighter Adapter is great because it has a fuse in it that will protect your car fuse. However, I have been using this set up for about a month in my 6 cylinder Ford Taurus with no power problems. Both the blanket and seat warm nicely.

This may sound silly, but for long drives, I put my coat on backwards and leave it unzipped, so I can get maximum heat on my back. It is nice and toasty. Last night on the "cold" ride home, I didn't even need my gloves or scarf, and I was very cozy tucked in between my heated seat and warm blanket.

I have no complaints, I bought the heated blanket last winter, and it is still working fine this second season. I am glad I chose the seat with a high and low option, because once I warm up, it is useful to be able to switch it to the LOW setting. I've only been using the heated seat and adaptor for a month but so far so good!