Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by Luke Bryan Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TNF TNF TNF  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 10, 2017
Some say you get what you pay for. This trimmer is actually pretty sturdy and boasts precision ground cutters tines. I've read about others complaining it takes several passes for it to cut. I think the problem is the size of the cutter tines. Yes they are precision ground instead of stamped, but the tine gaps are very small like it's made for finer hair. So for guys with medium to thick beard hair, like me, it takes a lot of passes to get an even cut. I wanted to like this, and gave it several tries over time, but it just won't do what I bought it to do.
on December 22, 2014
Very sturdy feeling. Doesn't feel like the cheapy one I was replacing. The attachments are good. There are three standard length attachments which is a good enough selection for me. There is also an attachment where you can set your own length but I haven't messed with that one so I don't know if it's useful or not. I've even made use of the little plastic carrying case. Motor seems powerful enough and I like the fact that it can be used while it's plugged in so in case I forget to charge it, I can still clean up. I've only had it a few weeks but so far it does what I need it to do. I think the price is more than fair for a well known named product. My only complaint is that it's a tad loud. Not a major problem but I'm sure not going to trim my beard while anyone is taking a nap!
on November 29, 2015
i've used the 9906-717 since feb 2014 (21 months). bought it because the batteries could be easily changed and that has worked well with rechargeable batteries (remember that the deeper of the two battery slots must be filled first, or the second battery does not fit the remaining slot). my previous cordless trimmers had a rechargeable battery soldered onto the circuit board and failed about a certain number of charge/discharge cycles. i dropped it with the fixed 1/8 inch attachment mounted and the attachment broke although the trimmer itself was fine. would pay a little more for sturdier attachments but this has been extremely useful and efficient for its price. would buy again.you can find replacement accessories for this trimmer on the web but at a significant percentage of the cost of a new trimmer, so don't drop it :).
on November 6, 2017
This is my second of the same battery operated Wahl beard trimmer. Very please with the trimming results. Two things of concern though:
1) It's not quiet.
2) After a few years the black rubber portion deteriorates.
on September 14, 2015
My husband and I are avid fans of Wahl's products. We have purchased many of their products to groom the male family members' hair; and our dog's fur. In regards to the Wahl 9918-6171 Groomsman Beard and Mustache, my husband was not thrilled with this product. Using the two vwersions of Wahl's beard and mustache groomer - the corded version and the cordless/battery operated version - my husband prefers the cordless/battery Wahl Groomsman Beard and Mustache. Claiming the cordless version does a better job, he explains that the corded version deters maneuverability. In other words, the groomer's cord gets in the way and makes those hard to reach places even harder to reach. In addition, the corded Wahl Groomsman is very loud and sounds like a chainsaw. The cordless/battery operated Wahl Groomsman runs at a quieter decibel and does not emit an irksome sound.
on January 24, 2012
This is the 2nd wahl trimmer I've purchased during the past 6 years - the first one finally tuckered out. It's not perfect, but no manufacturer's beard trimmers are (and believe me I've tried a lot of them). At this price point it's still a bargain. I'd be delighted if wahl made a higher-end product and would gladly pay more money for it. Apparently they've decided their customer base can't/won't support it.

Pros - inexpensive and represents good value relative to like products; easy to take top screen off in order to clean the head unit; attachments mount easily as long as you understand you'll need to gently spread the attachment at one end, fit the other end on to the head, and then fit the spread side on to the head. While not rocket science, little things like this are poorly documented or not documented at all (I've found nearly 100% of the consumer electronics I buy have the same problem).

Cons - quality of manufacture, but what can you realistically expect for $15?
on February 6, 2016
I'm on my second of these and I must say I am truly disappointed. Sure it gives a good trimming, however, this is only possible once you have it connected to a power source. It now lasts me maybe a minute off the charge. I wouldn't recommend this for long haired beards because it tends to clog up pretty easily, so I strictly use it for just beard lineups now.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 6, 2017
I purchased this to replace an identical one that was several years old and had lost its ability to hold a charge- it still worked, it just had to be plugged in. For normal at home use this may not have been a problem for others, but with the design of my bathroom it was inconvenient.

These feel exactly the same as the old clippers, apart from the guards being slightly different. I prefer the old guards personally, but the new ones work just as well. I imagine there will be plenty of years of use ahead for this product. In this price range, I think this is the ideal clipper.
on January 7, 2015
Great little machine.... great power! Very pleased and would buy it for a gift again in a heart beat. By the way this was last years Christmas gift for my husband in 2014...it is 2015, and it is still going strong and my husband loves it! For the price you really can not beat this trimmer...it's Whal, need I say much more? well I will, it will keep your edges clean between visits to the shop and you face will be perfectly groomed. A lot of face and neck trimmers promise to work but die after a couple months. Everyone has made that infomercial mistake.... leave those trimmers for eyebrows and nose hairs. This is a brand, as a licensed cosmetologist... that I would recommend and I certainly trust it to do what it says.
VINE VOICEon February 6, 2007
I read countless reviews on beard trimmers and settled on this one. For such a low price this product does a remarkably good job. My first time using it, I started at position # 6. Finally, I settled on position number 1 (shorter beard). I use it every Sunday and when I go to work every Monday I look and feel well-groomed.

One thing to point out. When I installed the batteries I thought the unit had a manufacturing defect. It "appears" that the second battery does not seat itself well in the battery compartment. Don't be concerned though, the battery cover will fit right back on as it should and the product works fine.

I've used the product for about 2 months now and am very pleased. I'm also very happy I did not spend more on a "fancier" trimmer. I cannot imagine any of them working any better than this.

Buy with confidence.