Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheBigSick TheBigSick TheBigSick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on June 1, 2016
Entertaining and relatable. Would recommend it to friends especially those at this similar stage in raising/having kids. Just makes you feel better and ok about the things we stress over as parents and provides some laughs at the end of those days when you feel like they will never go to sleep.
on September 21, 2016
This is a must read for new mothers, especially if your expecting your second child. I connected with all the adventures and worries of a mom with little ones. It gave me comfort to know I'm not crazy. This book will make you laugh and cry!
on November 22, 2016
I love Catherine Newman's writing. I feel like we could be good friends. Her words provided comfort to me as a new mom. I would recommend to anyone. She has a very relate-able, easy to read style.
on December 8, 2005
I was laughing so hard in places I had tears rolling down my face. My boyfriend would ask what I was laughing about, and I would read some to him. Then he'd be laughing. I'm guessing this is funniest to those of us who have young children, since Catherine's writing hits the nail right on the head about so many aspects of what it's like, from the joys to the absurd challenges. She is a fiercely loving mama, and also heartbreakingly honest about her worries and obsessions about her children. While I was reading this book, I preferred to get in bed after putting my son to bed for the night, and stayed up way too late reading. Catherine's writing is like having your hilarious best friend on the phone with you for late night intimate chats about your lives. Just read it!
on July 15, 2008
Buy this book. I adore Catherine Newman and her writing. She's witty, insightful, and very candid about parenting. I've read her on-line for years now, but only just bought this book for a beach read this summer. She is more than honest, admitting more about parenting and it's highs and lows than most are willing to. She's admittedly neurotic, but in a delightful, funny, relateable way. She deals with some heavy issues in this book, and even though she is a very different parent than me, I can't help thinking she'd be a great friend to have. Her "black humor" reminds me very much of myself. This book had me laughing out loud on several occasions, and shedding a few tears too. I can't sing her praises enough.
on October 19, 2014
It's an ok book. There are some good lines and thoughts in there but the author tended toward kind of whiny and annoying.
on August 7, 2006
This book is one of my absolute favorites. It has been passed around to several friends and family members, and I've bought it for everyone I know who is expecting. Catherine Newman's writing is so refreshingly candid. She expresses what pregnant women and mothers are really thinking and doing, not what happens in the perfect world of "What to expect...." Catherine is the kind of person who I would love to have as a personal friend, I feel like I already know her and her family and would love to invite them over for dinner! I highly recommend this book, and also Catherine's online journal on the parentcenter website.
on January 10, 2013
I read this book during feedings while baby was approaching two months. I sometimes felt like this was a biography of my life. And it was rendered with a kind of humor and irreverence that made me feel sooo much better about everything. I would put this up there with support groups in terms of helping new mom's through those very trying first few months.
on June 23, 2016
Oh, I loved this book. Such a sweet memoir of the younger years.
on January 18, 2015
I'm due with my second child and giggles away throughout this whole book! Love is exactly how I feel for the words I read. What a beautiful story she shares!