Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch $5 Digital Albums Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 244 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 299 reviews
VINE VOICEon February 18, 2012
One Republic's "Waking Up" contains an emotionally driven set of songs from track one to eleven plus one (the Amazon Exclusive Version contains a cover of Duffy's "Mercy"). The album does not skip a beat with its energetic instrumentation of pulsating rhythms that breathes into the band's initial sound as well as a tinge of influences that are undeniable from The Beatles, U2, and Coldplay. All of the tracks are deeply intimate and intense that has a somewhat subtle theme of treading on.

The opening track "Made For You" contains a thumping intro and inter-play of Ryan Tredder's signature vocals and the string and chorale arrangements a la the Rolling Stones' "You Can't Always Get What You Want," which is identifiable and perfectly flows into the next track "All The Right Moves." "Moves" along with the other singles off the album "Secrets" and "Good Life" possess a powerful musical executions and memorable choruses that pound with much exuberance from beginning to end. The band slows the tempo with the following tracks that sound very much like Coldplay and U2 "Fear" and the title track "Waking Up." But beyond the comparisons, the piano ballad "All this Time" is simply unforgettable.

In essence, "Waking Up" is an album worth listening to and adding to one's play list. With its revolving theme of longing and waiting and marching to a beat of one's own, there is sure to be several favorite songs that may prompt the listener to replay with the volume set louder than usual.
on August 27, 2011
This is a very unusual album, due mostly, I believe, to the talents of Ryan Tedder, who is responsible for the vocals and the bulk of the writing, producing and arranging, as well as playing piano and other instruments. The result is an album that has solid beats and bright, structured production to ensure pop success, but also features diverse, sometimes complex arrangements, with many of the tracks including melodic piano and strings combined with heavy percussion. This is important because it gives the album a quality which makes it a cut above the ordinary pop album, a sound which is, at times, almost symphonic.

For example, the first track, "Made For You", begins with soft drums and piano, then the vocals come in backed by heavier percussion, then later there is an interlude of only vocals and strings, then there is chanting of "All the right friends in all the right places", which are actually lyrics from the second track, which opens with a choir singing those lyrics. Got that? "Missing Persons 1 & 2" is, as the title suggests, actually 2 songs, connected by a short bridge of electronic sound. "Waking Up" begins with a vocal backed by a church-organ sound, then quickly turns harder, featuring chiming guitar reminiscent of U2. If fact, this track reminds me of U2's "Joshua Tree" period, except that it changes again at the end to a peaceful instrumental of piano and strings. "Marchin On" does indeed have the beat and rousing quality of a march, but even this track contains a softer interlude.

And there's more. "Good Life" is a very positive, happy song which has as its background an 80's-90's synthesizer sound; this is what attracted me to the album in the first place. "Everybody Loves Me" (another of my favorites) is a rock track with bluesy guitar and a sort of "talking" vocal. Ryan really frees his soul on this one! "Fear" is a beautiful ballad introduced by stacatto strings, then piano. "Lullaby" really does sound like a lullaby - hypnotic, comforting. In general, the lyrics are personal enough to relate to but abstract enough to appeal to the general pop audience. Ryan Tedder's voice is high-pitched and goes frequently into falsetto, which fits the arrangements and material. A deep voice would not enhance the aura of musicality and vague spirituality that is part of the album's charm.

Even more amazing is the fact that all this creative diversity is contained in an album that is slightly under 48 minutes long. That is remarkable in itself, but it makes me wonder what Mr. Tedder could accomplish if he set out to write an opera or perhaps a standard full-length symphony.
on July 22, 2011
One Republic's "Waking Up" was a refreshing surprise. Brilliantly written modern urban-rock songs that demonstrate rock is not going to die quietly. In fact, I believe One Republic has set the standard to how modern rock should be played today. Each song brings an interesting concept to the listener; with enough twists and diversity that balances the musical hooks just enough to keep the CD on the art-rock side of the equation rather than candy-pop.

The song tracks blend into each other, very much like a concept album; but, there is an inconsistent sound production throughout the CD. Not as bad as Brian Eno's miserable production qualities (IMO) heard on Coldplay or U2. In those recordings, the vocals are buried into the music. One Republic's singer, Ryan Tedder, can be clearly heard.

The first time I heard "Good Life" was on "The Voice," when Tedder sang it with contestant Beverly McClellan and I loved the song along with their performance. Another side note, Ryan Tedder co-wrote two great songs on Adele's 21 CD (Rumour Has It and Turning Tables). He is a superb songwriter.
on October 23, 2012
I have been compiling songs that make me feel energetic enough to go on 5 mile hikes each day. I heard Good Life on the radio on realized I did not have the song. Relying on Amazon.com as I often do I checked out the Album.

Now, I am not new to One Republic; I have heard several songs and like the group. They remind me a little bit of the Fray whom I consider myself a fan of. I listened to the samples and decided to go ahead and download the entire album. That was a few weeks ago and I am SO pleased that I did! I seriously haven't stopped listening since I made the purchase. I don't even listen to my "walk-it-out" mix anymore; I go for these long walks/hikes listening to nothing but this album.

From start to finish it is Amazing! I love the instrumentals that close out some of the songs, the anthems on others I pant along to. I love the somber and melancholy styles of "Fear" The energy I get from the title track and "made for you" and "Marching on".

Initially I thought I would buy the album and like it then transfer Good Life to the mix I walk to and be done with it but I was SO wrong. This is a great album and I am proud to be an official fan of the group. I wish them all the success in the world. I truly appreciate the art put forth on this album and thank them (and Amazon) for introducing me to it.
on July 25, 2011
I've always loved OneRepublic, but I've never bought a whole album before. I had purchased the singles from "Dreaming Out Loud" (Stop and Stare, Apologize), but never really bought anything past that. When I saw this for only five dollars, I couldn't help but click "buy", seeing there were five songs I liked (All the Right Moves, Waking Up, Made For You, Good Life, Secrets) and figuring the others would grow on me later. I'm happy to say that they did!

Everybody Loves Me: Makes a good ego boost. It has a bit of a rockish feel, and just makes you feel good to sing to.

Missing Persons 1 and 2: I have to admit I didn't think I'd like this one at first listen. It did grow on me though, but I don't listen to it as much as the others.

Fear:I could hear the slight "fear" as soon as the song started. The entire arrangement was executed beautifully.

Marchin On: Has a great, steady beat. Always makes me want to go a little father, a little longer, when I'm outside running.

Mercy: I was expecting a different song by the same name by them, but instead thought "This sounds a lot like that Duffy song.." As soon as I realized it was the other song I couldn't help but smile! It made my whole day.

I hardly ever buy entire albums, but this was a brilliant exception. Been listening to it nonstop since I bought it. And, with me being 14 (and very attention deficit), this is a difficult task to accomplish. Congrats, OneRepublic! :-)
on December 29, 2013
I ordered this CD at the last moment before Christmas. My wife expressed an interest in the group when they were on The Voice. I downloaded my order soon thereafter for this and the group's latest CD. I listened quickly of their sample cuts and liked them. But, when put on the surround sound, their music fluctuated between soft rock songs and more aggressive rock songs. I liked this album but my wife wasn't to thrilled by all their tracks. Accordingly, I rate it as a 4 stars album. I would let friends listen to the entire album to see if they liked it rather than a straight "you have to get this." Good but could be better for a middle aged music lover. A definite 4. However, their latest CD: Native, really hits the great album rank.
on October 31, 2014
Took a big chance buying this CD because I only wanted one song off of it-Good Life.But playing through
it's entire CD woke me up to a different sound/different band of refreshing music.For example the symphony
piece on the last half of track Waking Up.The way the use of the violin is incorporated into the songs is great.
Love hearing the violin.Never would consider buying a One Republic CD but wow..this old CD of them was a
"Waking Up" call for me.And for the cheap cost of it,I really did get more than I bargained for.
on August 25, 2017
Great album. Songs you can sing to
on May 23, 2017
Love OneRepublic !!!! Not only is Ryan Tedder gorgeous, he has a great voice too !!!
on June 7, 2010
I would def recommend this cd. I do not have their first cd but I have heard most of the tracks. I will say this, if you have not heard much of OneRepublic and know you love "Apologize" and "Stop and Stare" don't buy this cd looking for the same kind of tunes or anything like the ballads the lead singer writes for other artists. This cd is totally different and in my opinion a lot better.

The music is very powerful in lyric and in notes. The violins are beautiful and you find yourself dancing to even a slower paced song. I suggest you buy this version that has the remake of the Duffy song "Mercy" The original is way better but it's still a cute little cover.

Perhaps try these downloads first before buying the whole cd? Too bad Amazon doesn't credit down the price when you guy a few and go back for the rest the way Itunes does!

Best tracks: Secrets, Made for You, All the Right Movies, Matchin On and Passenger.