BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment drwho drwho drwho  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

VINE VOICEon January 12, 2010
I have always enjoyed DDR (Dance Dance Revolution) but wanted to find something lower impact. I tried "Outdoor Challenge" and "Wii Active" but as great as they are, they weren't right for me. I wanted something pretty mindless that did not involve a lot of thinking or jumping around trying to keep a nunchuck strapped to my thigh. Happily I found it with "Walk It Out".

Walking is a great exercise and nothing beats a brisk walk outside. But "Walk It Out" offers great indoor entertainment and a fun way to change up your steps. It is walking on steroids. You get to walk along at a steady pace (you can set the difficulty) but it stays interesting as you uncover surprises. The game boasts over 120 songs that get your heart rate up including tunes by The Black Eyed Peas and Jesse McCartney. You can also select and edit playlists.

If you enjoy indoor walking tapes such as Leslie Sansone's you will probably love "Walk It Out". Once you get the hang of the control, there is lots to discover on the Island and the music keeps you grooving. Plus it is fun!

"Walk It Out" can be played by shifting your weight on the Wii Balance Board, using any of the buttons on the DanceDanceRevolution Controller pad or with a Nunchuck. Slipping the Nunchuck over your pants or in your pocket tracks your steps, keeps the game simple and allows for a wide variety of movement. With the Nunchuck you can also wear supportive footwear which you can't with the DDR Controller pad. The record section of the game keeps tabs on steps trekked and other data.

One drawback to the game is you cannot use your regular Mii. You create a character at the start but it is limited in configuration. Also, though I feel this game may be fun for young children and those who enjoy walking, I think many hard core gamers and those looking for intense physical exercise will find "Walk It Out" boring and will want to look elsewhere for entertainment.

If you are looking to vary up your walk and want a fun change of pace, "Walk It Out" is a great way to get fit, motivated and moving!

UPDATE: I am finding the game really keeps me walking. Tonight, I decided to go for a quick fifteen minute walk and ended up walking an hour and ten minutes!

The walking is quick and simple. But the way the event capsules work can be confusing. If you want more information than the booklet with the game provides, there is a link in the customer discussions section to a longer Konami instruction booklet.

~ Lee Mellott
3030 comments| 624 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon January 13, 2010
I just received this game last night, and have only played it for about an hour, so these are my initial impressions.

First, obviously, this is not a 'gamer' game. This is a way to get your daily walk in that is a little more interesting than just walking on a treadmill. It has gaming elements, but those who are looking for a purely gaming experience will not find it in this genre :-)

As exercise, this is pretty darned good. I did a 45 minutes stretch last night to learn the game and get a feel for it. The time flew by and I burned about 275 calories. ***EDIT - actually, after doing an hour today, I realize I must have done about an hour last night - I guess the time really DID fly by! :-) *** I am very much a Wii exerciser, I do EA Sports Active and have been looking for a light to moderate cardio option for my scheduled rest days, and Walk It Out looks like it will work very well for this. I did my session last night on the normal setting and I would call it light cardio. I did not feel like I was working terribly hard, probably could have sang through most of it, but by the end of the 45 minutes I was sweating lightly. There are ways in the settings to change the intensity up or down, too, but I doubt you could really crank this up to a high intensity level, where you were having to pant to breathe. You could probably get it to where you could not sing though.

The game starts with a profile creation section in which you enter your stats and create your little person to walk around Rhythm Island. Sorry, you can't use your Mii :-( And the little people are fairly generic - the main difference between boys and girls, for example, seems to be that girls wear shorts and boys wear long pants. And everyone is wearing the same outfit, just you get to pick what colors you want your outfit to be. Obviously, however, I have not unlocked all the game, so possibly there are unlockables that change this up later - if not, hey, Konami, think about it for Walk It Out II! ;-)

After you create your profile, you choose your controller options for that session. The three options are controller with nunchuk (tuck the nunchuk in a pocket or your waistband, just like Wii running on Wii Fit), dance mat, or balance board. The game auto-highlights whatever you have plugged in, so if you have your balance board out and turned on, it will select that, if your DDR mat (or Active Life mat, it works fine with that one too!) if plugged in, it will choose that. You still get to select a different option if you like.

A couple notes about the balance board option. It is a little odd. The instructions say not to lift your feet all the way off the balance board, just lift your heels in turn, and if you forget and lift your feet, you can get an error message. They say this is to prevent falls, but it's not how I use the balance board for Wii Fit, so it's hard to remember at first. Also, not lifting your entire foot is obviously not as intense as regular walking, so that may be part of why this game seems light. However, learning the hand controls was a bit tricky at first, so I would definitely recommend using the balance board option so you are doing something light while you try to learn - once you get up the learning curve, just do whatever you like.

The first time you play, the game starts with a brief tutorial section. This is valuable, and I would go through it carefully, but it does tend to break off rather abruptly in spots, which is a little weird. Basically you walk in place. There is a step counter and gauge in the upper left corner that shows you what beats you should be stepping on, just like DDR, and when you step on the beat, you get a point, called a chip, that you will later spend to unlock items. If you miss a step, however, not only do you not gain a chip, but you LOSE one too (this can be turned off in the settings for beginners or children, because it's really hard to click on an event capsule without losing the beat!). If you are very close to the beat, you get a great, and if you are exactly on the beat you get a perfect, although I haven't noticed anything extra that you get for these, the game does keep track and gives you little messages like 'Wow! You've got 500 Greats so far!'

As you walk around the island, you will see little bubbles. These are called event capsules, and if you point your remote at these when you are close enough to them, they will get larger and have words in them like 'Palm Tree 100'. The number is the number of chips you need to 'buy' that item. When you look at the bubble, it will show up in either black or red text. Black means you currently have enough chips in your 'bank' to buy it, red means you don't. If you have enough chips to buy it, just click on it and it will poof into being before your eyes. You can buy everything from scenery to new song tracks to new areas of the map - IF you can manage to get the cursor pointed at the right bubble while you are clicking without missing a beat on your walking!!! For the less coordinated among us (myself included), this is the challenging part! It will definitely take some practice. There were also some event capsules that I am not sure what they are for, some rainbow ones you collect, some brown ones with times on them, etc. I'm looking forward to figuring these out as I play, but I don't know yet what they do. Although I like that there are these longer term goals built in! There are also some minigames, but I haven't done any yet - I think many of them are locked at first.

Now here is the part I am not 100% sure how it works, but this is what I THINK. If an event capsule is still red, you can still click on it, and it will go into your queue. You have a queue of three circles right next to your step counter at the top of the screen. You can fill these circles up with event capsules that you cannot afford and then as you collect the chips to unlock those events, they become available. BUT they don't seem to poof into being as soon as you earn the chips, just the next time you are in that part of the island, that event capsule will be black text with no number under it - you can click on it and it will appear immediately. This was a little confusing at first, but I think that is how it works.

Finally, you can change the view by holding down the B button to do a 'grab and drag' on the scenery. This is hard to get used to and I kept ending up looking at my feet or the sky or the opposite direction from where I meant to look! But, some of the event capsules seem like they would be very difficult if not impossible to collect if you don't look around sometimes.

The island looks to be quite large, with a lot of side routes. Also the amount of unlockables is enormous - I spent my entire session last night walking around in a loop around this auditorium, and I still have a LOT more things to unlock up there before I have all the scenery open. My daughter walked around for about 30 minutes and concentrated on opening new routes, and she had 26% of the island open when she was done, but that doesn't seem to count side routes. It's definitely not a game you will finish in a few days, looks to be good value for the money there.

The time of day you play matters, too - at night, you are walking under the stars, and during the day it is sunny. There are different unlockables for different times, too, I had some constellations last night, don't know yet what comes up during the day.

This is suitable for kids - my three year old son is playing it right now, we turned off the penalty and set the costs of the event capsules to 'easy', so he can walk around for a bit, stop and click on something to have it appear.

The song list is pretty cool - much like DDR, a lot of songs you never heard of before but are still pretty likable, some modern tracks by people like Black Eyed Peas and La La Land by Demi Levato, some oldies like Katrina and the Waves' Walking on Sunshine and a cover of the Go-Go's Vacation. I only have a few songs unlocked so far, so sorry, can't give a complete list.

All in all, a solid edition to your Wii exercise routine. Cardio is one of the areas that Wii exercising is light on, and this is a good if no more than moderate addition to the genre. For the price, there is a lot of gameplay here, and it's a great way to get in a daily walk with some gaming goodness thrown in. Enjoy!!
2222 comments| 330 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 28, 2010
I'd like to add my Walk It Out critique to the many excellent ones that have already been written. This evaluation is intended for other members of the ARRP generation. You know who you are. I should add that I don't consider myself a gamer. I like computer programming and graphics, but not usually games. For years though, I have followed the evolving exergame field. I own several early attempts at the genre. I have owned a Wii since it first arrived on the scene. I also own a good number of Wii "games" that purportedly inspire the human will to exercise. In my case, they don't. When it comes to exercise, I take a lot of inspiring. Wii Fit comes close but like many other reviewers here, I became frustrated with the constant "stop and go" in that "game".

Then, suddenly, Walk It Out walked onto the scene.It caught my interest. Like several reviewers, I found the packaging off putting. The photos of kids and a young adult didn't really scream, "This game is for you." Instead, it said the opposite, "This game isn't for you." However, I like to walk and the more I thought about the game, the better it sounded to me. It wasn't hugely expensive. I somewhat blindly pre-ordered the game. I received it the day that it came out, but waited to play it until the following morning.

Day 1: My first experience with the game made me wonder if I'd made a huge purchasing mistake. I read the documents that came with the game, but found them very lacking (the extended version of the docs is much better). My initial orientation in the stadium was a nightmare. I ended up flailing around for a bunch of extra time before I could escape to the island. In fact, I still have a phobia related to entering the stadium. At any rate, after about .6 miles of walking, I gave up in frustration. For me, trying to select the capsules while walking was also quite difficult. Even trying to figure out the game concept was rough.

Day 2: Thankfully, I don't give up easily. Figuring out this program became a challenge in and of itself. The next walk went much better. Things began to fall into place. It was still a bit confusing, but I was walking around to the music, collecting some chips and managing to hit a few capsules. Wow. Look at that: a palm tree popped up, a car, a deciduous tree. "Now this is kind of fun." I got so involved with working on the area around the stadium that I forgot the time. That NEVER happens to me during exercise. I made it a mile. "Hmmm. I'm too tired to go on, but I WANT to!" (" Unheard of, unthinkable.")

So, the days have walked by. I've been using the game for several weeks now. I rarely miss a day of walking. I feel like the island is taking shape. Maybe I am too. Yesterday I walked 3.9 miles which isn't bad for me. I have unlocked most of the routes on the island. I've gotten a couple of areas of vegetation completed. I've collected some music. I've even collected quite a few medals. I have never enjoyed exergaming so much. This game allows me to make progress. I've logged around 30 miles! The music isn't really my "thing", but as others have said, most of it is pleasant, fast, and great for mood elevation. Finishing a session on the island leaves me humming away and smiling. The little Wii figure that I follow around the island is filled with positive energy and joy.

This game offers so many options for input devices that most individuals could find something that works for them. I actually like the nun chuck the best, but it leaves me very sore because I like to walk, dance and jog around while using it. In my case, it is also less accurate than the balance board. I don't use it every day. I offset it with the balance board which gives a less robust workout, but still helps me use some different muscle groups. I walk without problems on the balance board. I even use my sneakers. I find that heel walking does work best to match the beat, but I have not found any issue using light steps or even marching while while on the board. I've also tried the dance pad. That was fun, but I could not get it to work well. There was too much sliding around and the mat wasn't accurate enough. It became frustrating. My guess is that regardless of the input device that you use, you will feel your muscles talking to you the next day.

I do suggest changing the game setting to "easy "so that you won't be penalized for missing beats. I worked with the penalty for a week or so. It wasn't bad that way, but I found it somewhat frustrating because NONE of the input options (nun chucks, balance board, or mat) recognize my steps properly. Turning off the penalty, helps relieve that frustration.

That brings me to my primary "gripe" about the program. It is still rough around the edges. That is, the input devises don't always work well. That interrupts the fantastic feeling of being a part of this game. When the devices are working, it is as though you have stepped into another world. The island is a happy place. You want to be there. You forget that you are exercising. However, when the input devices don't register your steps, it sometimes goes beyond frustrating.

Several reviewers have also mentioned the difficulty of using the Wiimote to select the capsules, CDs, clocks, etc. The hand bounces all over the screen as you are walking and trying to hit the capsule. That can be maddening. However, as one reviewer stated, it adds another dimension to the game. I now tend to look at it as a part of the game challenge. In fact, I felt very proud of myself yesterday when I finally managed to snag a CD that hovers above Spirit Mountain.

There is such a diversity of input options for this game that they offer a gentle way to start exercising for some of us, but also offer levels far beyond easy. The game takes some getting used to. My guess is that the people who have given it poor reviews didn't stick with it long enough to get a real feel for it. That is the primary reason that I waited quite a while before offering an opinion. That said, Walk It Out isn't going to be the game for everyone. People, who are very fit, might not enjoy it. A traditionalist who loves "real" workouts in a gym might also want to look elsewhere. For older people, like me, I highly recommend it (after talking to your doctor if you have any medical issues).

If Amazon had a rating of 4.5, I'd give it that. I'm rounding up to 5 because I find this game is close to what I've always wanted to find. It isn't perfect yet. I wish it had a way to record your weight. I REALLY wish the input devices worked more accurately. I wish there were more choices in the types of songs. It would be great to have sections of choice. Like, 40s,50s, 60s, 70s,....2010 etc. That way, everyone could choose the songs that appealed most to them. I'd love to be able to walk to "Zippity Do Da lyrics". I warned you that I was old. LOL.

All in all, I'm happy with Walk It Out, and like so many others here, I am looking forward to more of this type of game genre. It is refreshingly different and addictive. Anyone, young to old, can find a level that fits. It is the closest thing to the Holodeck that I've found yet.
2727 comments| 645 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 7, 2015
Don't be fooled by the cover graphics showing kids. This great game is probably more suitable for the "older generation" than for kids (who could likely find it boring). It'll get you walking when the weather is too bad to enjoy going outdoors (or when it's too dark when you get home from work). I struggled a bit at first when I thought I had to click on all the icons goodies the minute I saw them (thinking if I didn't get them fast, that I'd never have a chance again) . I was clicking so much and so fast that I was too busy too even notice what a click on an icon actually did. Then with the help of a web tutorial, I learned to just build up the points you get for each "with-the-beat" step and casually hover over an icon until you find one representing something you'd like to "purchase" with your built up points---then click on it and a item to build your city pops up. Building up my "piggy-bank" to be able to purchase a bridge, and then hunting down the icon for the bridge purchase resulted in tallying 4000 steps in what felt like no time at all. I have to admit that I even enjoy some of the hip-hop tunes now-----they sure do keep you on the beat to rack up those points!

[Hint: in settings, turn off "deduct a point for each off-the-beat step" (at least until you are no longer a newbie), or you'll have a hard time getting enough points to buy anything.]

I play with my balance board, and it's worked out well.......

I play with my balance board.
on June 7, 2016
Great game if you are needing a way to get a walking workout when the weather is lousy outside (and even when the weather is nice but want more of a workout than a leisurely walk). The more up beat songs on this will have you jogging in place and really get your heart pumping. Its also fun to explore the virtual island, and to spend your steps earned to help bring the island to life (clicking on places adds in cars, plants, buildings, bridges, etc). As you also walk, you will find more parts of songs that then get added to the collection. As you add more, you can then customize the songs that you want or don't want during your walks (I've started getting rid of the slower songs as I find the pace on those much too slow for me). And for those curious, this does work fine on a Wii-U. I use the Wiimote and Nunchuck, but it also will work with the balance board and a Wii dance pad. For me, this is by far one of the best workout games.
on January 12, 2010
This game was worth the wait.
In this game you have a choice of multiple types of controls (nunchuk and wii mote, DDR Dance Pad, or Wii Balance Board). Songs, environment elements, and walking paths are all un-lockable as you step in time to the music tracks.
While you are walking, rather than jogging in front of your TV, the 'walk' is rather fast paced as you have to keep up with the songs. You can adjust the speed so you don't have to keep up with the full beat of the faster songs if you don't want to.
Since there is so much to unlock, it is easy to stay motivated since you can't unlock everything in one walk, and I found that although I was sweaty and tired, I was already looking forward to my next session. I really enjoyed being able to go different directions and walk different paths, and part of the fun is getting enough 'credits' to unlock various different paths.

I will say that the 'trainers' are a bit annoying with them saying 'amazing' or 'wow that's great' at each unlock or accomplishment.
But that was the only draw back for me.
I enjoyed getting updates on my steps walked, distance, and calories burned - and the review at the end helps you to set goals for your next walk as well.
This game is more light hearted and it is a bit 'young' audience wise, but if you just want a challenging walking game that will give you music and a change of pace from the other Wii Fitness games, I would suggest picking this one up.
33 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2010
I got this game today. So this is an early report.

First of all, the game is a great idea, because it takes some of the "addictive" nature of some of the simulation games where you earn points to buy things and applies it to fitness. Just like in the past when I'd be playing Sims or SPORE and think "I'll just play one more [level/day/bit]", this game had me saying "ok, just 100 more steps and i can get that new route." 10,500 steps later I was tired and had walked 2.8 miles. Not a bad addiction.

It's fun to see the different objects come to life and the night time for the game is different that the day time, with different objects to unlock (for instance you can unlock constellations at night). Also, the game requires more coordination than you think because if you see a bubble you really want to "hit" (by shooting it with the wii mote), you have to keep walking in time to the music beat, use the numchuck to swing the camera angle around, and then use the wii mote to accurately shoot what it is you were aiming at. I'm just glad no one was watching me.

I used our Dance Dance Revolution pad and sometimes it was frustrating because even when i walked in time, it's like the pad wasn't responsive enough after a while. I solved this by switching my feet to different pairs of buttons when it didn't seem responsive any more. It wasn't bad changing my feet up a little anyway.

The graphics are pretty cool, the map is a little difficult because it only shows you a tiny bit of the over all map at a time and I have no sense of direction so i felt like i was going in a circle sometimes. Finally, I really wanted to have only fast music. The slow music didn't earn points as fast as I wanted it to, so I guess I need to gather more of those CD bubbles to get more songs. But there is a good variety of music and once you have all the songs, you can select a genre (to begin with you don't have enough songs to get a long enough "set" to walk to and you're better off using the "All" songs setting.)

I agree with another reviewer that the "trainers" are annoying. But i think the guy is a little less annoying than the girl. Just an opinion.

Overall, a great game and a cool concept for getting people to do "just a few more steps..."
on June 6, 2016
Love this game!! It's great because I am walking and getting my steps in and I am building an island. I am not a gamer person, be this game makes walking fun. You have the distraction of building your island. I play mine every morning before work. Now getting my 10,000 steps in daily is so much easier because I have a jump start playing this game every morning.
on December 14, 2013
Yep it is true. I look forward to walking on the island.
While this game was marketed to kids mostly and is cartoon-y looking, As an adult, I have come to love this game.

I am now on my 4th tour of the island (basically I have completed the game 3 times and have started over again).
When I started I was obese. I didn't like exercise and was unmotivated.

I have since lost all but about 20-30 lbs above my goal weight. Was WIO the only reason? No but it was helpful.
Here's why.

I can create strategies on how I am going to get through the game.
Everyday my goal is to complete the rainbow task which takes about 20-25 minutes. So I am focused on completing the task not exercising.
I find myself having to get off to go to work or whatever but staying on to just finish one more item or section. Which is crazy to me b/c I have never been one to say "uhhh... just five more minutes of exercise please." WHAT? Crazeee talk!!
There is also a great community of WIO fans on Facebook so it is fun to share our experiences. The WIO Facebook page offers support, hints on strategies for completing the game as well as maps etc and there are silly times when we talk about our made up stories about the characters in the game.

I think this would also be a great game for kids and a parent b.c there is an option to play together. I imagine that just like reading with children leads to adults who enjoying reading that the same would be true for exercising.

Anyway this would be a great gift for adults, kids or even yourself.
on January 13, 2010
If you are looking for a low impact walking exercise, this fits the bill. I got it yesterday and did it right away and again this morning. I was somewhat confused the first time but I got the hang of it this morning. I don't understand why the publishers don't put out better instructions. If they don't want to incur the printing cost they could always point us to a web site. I got a good walk in and the time sped by.
EDIT UPDATE: Konami has a full manual on their web site [...]

The game starts with creating a profile. Your character will look nothing like you. You pick male or female but they look pretty much the same. You can change hair color, skin color and clothing color. It asks your age, height and weight but it doesn't change your avatar. No big deal. The program makes you confirm each entry several times which would be annoying except that you only have to create a profile once.

I have tried all 3 methods of walking: Wii remote and nunchuk, Balance Board, DDR Mat. I like the mat the best even though they all worked. The remote and nunchuk seemed to occasionally miss my movement. The balance board is a hard surface and does not work with the whack-a-mole game (1 of 3 games). I started using a mat from the Wii Outdoor Challenge game which I liked because it had 2 rows where buttons were next to each other but I switched to a DDR mat when the Outdoor Challenge mat wouldn't work with whack-a-mole. I walked on the top row of buttons.

Here's the premise of the game. You start by walking on a track in a stadium. Then you walk outside into a barren land. As you earn chips by stepping to the music you can buy items such as buildings, bridges, street lamps, fire hydrants, bushes, palm trees, additional routes, additional songs, etc. The items are represented by "Event Capsules" that are round tokens. If you have already accumulated enough chips to buy an item you can click on the token and it will morph into the item. If you don't have enough chips when you click on a token it will be placed in a 3 token holding area. When your chip count rises past the first held token value, you will buy it and the item will be created. A 4th held token pushes out the 1st one. On my first try of the game I started walking around and clicking tokens, not understanding why they sometimes became items and sometimes just disappeared. Now I get it.

It takes a lot of walking to unlock enough items to make it interesting. The game allows you to reduce or increase the cost of items. Halfway through my second time I decided to reduce the cost so that I could see more progress. The game has 5 levels of cost: Normal, 50% less, 75% less, 50% more or 100% more. This is a nice feature. Another nice feature allows you to change how it measures your steps. You can choose not to lose points if you miss a beat. You can have a more lenient margin of error. Or you can choose to make the game harder. I might choose to use the options that make it more of a scoring game while my wife just wants to keep occupied while she walks and will choose the easier settings.

There are 3 games. It took a while for me to figure them out:
1. Whack-a-Slack is the standard Whack-a-Mole game but you need the DDR mat to play it.
2. Psycolo was confusing. You are a cube with colored sides. You are on a board with colored squares. There are hearts on some of the squares. You rotate the sides of your cube to match the color of a surrounding square and then move onto it. A Slack roams the board. Try to reach all the hearts before the Slack gets you. You can play for the length of a song or a group of songs. Future levels have more roaming Slacks. During the game you step to the music.
3. Smash and Run is on a soccer field. You step to the music and get a bigger hammer. There are different sized Slacks on the field. You walk around and smash them before they walk into you 3 times (I think that's it.)
I think it was the uninspired games that stopped me from giving Walk It Out 5 stars.

Every time you come back it picks up where you were before. I'm curious to see what the land will look like as I progress. You can earn records and medals for how far you walked in a session, how many steps were in perfect time, etc.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.