Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 16 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 23 reviews
on August 27, 2015
If you want a book that will instantly transport you to small town living in the 50's through the eyes of an11 year old boy, this is it. The author and his four buddies dub their bicycle-riding gang the Midnight Marauders, but the experiences that lead them to choose this name will have you howling with laughter.

By the end of the book you will feel as if you know each of the marauders, many of the people who lived in their small Iowa town, and just who the mysterious Walkin' Joe was. Reading it left me feeling gratitude for having grown up in a much different world than the one that exists today. I loved the book and highly recommend it.
on June 17, 2013
Waller does a wonderful job of blending the adventures of youth with the reality of life - through the unfiltered eyes of a kid. Walkin' Joe is set in a simpler time and exposes the joys and difficulties faced in the world today - from biking, swimming and festivals to abuse, homelessness and lost innocence. I laughed out loud, shed a few tears, and found great comfort in remembering my own childhood adventures and what God has blessed my family with throughout the years. Thanks for sharing the story, Denny and looking forward to following the Marauders as they hit their teenage years!
on December 20, 2012
I really enjoyed Walkin' Joe and The Midnight Marauders! Being from Algona made the book especially interesting, but the adventures of small-town boys in the 50's will resonate with anyone who grew up as a baby boomer in America. The book will make you laugh, but also bring a tear to your eye as you discover the story of not only Walking Joe, but of the boys who formed the Midnight Marauders. I highly recommend this book!
on January 6, 2013
The author and I grew up together in Algona, Iowa so Denny's memoirs take me back to the place I knew as home. But beyond that, Denny has depicted Anytown, USA in the 1950's where boys will be boys. The story is captivating yet refreshing and definitely a step back in time. I can't wait for Volume II.
on March 12, 2013
This book took me back to my childhood, even though the author was older than I. Many locations and people described were just as I remembered them. It was a delight to read!
on June 13, 2015
Funny, loved it.
on May 8, 2015
Like being in Algona 60 years ago. A well written book.
on February 21, 2013
Having grown up in Algona, with my father working for the newspaper, we knew the Waller family well and I couldn't wait for this book to come out. I just downloaded it to my Kindle and can't wait to start reading~!
on March 4, 2014
Walkin' Joe and The Midnight Marauders: A Memoir by Dennis R. Waller is a great read. Entertaining and fun to read.
on November 12, 2013
Completely enjoyed this book I have it both Kindle edition and hard copy. It brought me right back to my childhood memories thank you :)