Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Walking in Circles Before Lying Down: A Novel
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 27, 2006
I read this hilarious book in one sitting, laughing out loud and even snorting at times.

If you ever loved a dog, and talked to it, and wondered what all the whines meant, and what on earth they were doing, here's a highly entertaining book, especially from someone who always watched her own dog's reaction every time a new guy came into her life.

I recommend it to anyone and everyone.
on January 4, 2008
amusing, with a decent story line. the dogs have some good insights. would have preferred to hear more from them and less from the humans in the story.
on September 6, 2006
Markoe's writing is lovely, and so easy to tangle yourself up in. It flows nicely, and keeps you interested at all times.

Her characters are well developed... each one showing their quirky imperfections at just the right moment.

The dogs are fabulous. I can't even count the number of times I caught myself thinking that my own dog would absolutely say some gof the things Markoe wrote about if she could only talk. Fortunately, my dog cannot talk, which made reading about a woman who converses with her dog that much more entertaining.

I highly recommend this book, and fully intend to run out and buy another of Markoe's works as soon as possible.
on December 23, 2008
Being a dog lover (2 Great Danes) I was first intrigued by the title of this book. After reading it, I am so glad I did! It is such fun to be able to pick up a really good book just for the enjoyment of it, and not have to worry about the "whos" and "whys" behind the writing. After all, isn't that what books are supposed to do? Entertain us?
I worked at a bookstore for 3 years, and was asked for referrals of good reads daily. This was one of my top referrals after I'd read it. If you want plain enjoyment, read this. My hat is off to the author, and I can't wait to read more books written by her!
on March 19, 2008
I have to start out by saying - if you like dogs, read this book. But hang in there -- you have to get through the first 1/4 or so of the book which wasn't nearly as enjoyable & fun as the rest of the book. In the beginning the author sets up her life situation and introduces family members & friends, which can be a little lengthy at times. But once the dogs start talking I couldn't set the book down. An absolute delight, highly recommended!
on November 26, 2006
I bought this book on a whim after reading a review of it in a magazine at the hair salon. The idea of a book about a woman who can talk to her dog intrigued me.

I ended up having to special order it from my local bookstore, but it was definately worth the wait. Got it just in time for a Holiday road trip.

It's a fast read, but very entertaining. You will most definately laugh out loud at this one. The dogs are hillarious. I love the how they talk like us, where in most books it's usually very preschoolish language, these dogs have a fabulous vocabulary making it all the more entertaining.

I will warn you, there's a lot of cursing so if you're not a fan of that kind of language keep that in mind.

I love Dawn's crazy family and her tragic romances.

If you're a fan of dogs or animals in general you most definately have to get this book!
on October 30, 2013
Not going to lie... I was a little hurt when Amazon recommended a book to me about a single girl with a pathetic string of failed romances who goes crazy and starts hearing her dog talk to her.

That stung, Amazon.

Alas, it was a very funny book and Merrill Markoe is a comic genius. Great read.
on September 3, 2006
Merrill Markoe has hit the nail on the head - the advice that the brilliant Chuck provides always rings true. You need to be willing to suspend your disbelief in order to enjoy this book, but if you're looking for a light and entertaining weekend read, this is the book for you.
on July 16, 2016
I LOVE this book so much that I've spent the last 4 years looking for a second copy after losing the first one. Any woman who has been owned by a dog will relate. I don't know if Cesar Millan would approve or not but I almost imagined myself having these conversations with my own "furkids". It was this book that first gave me inspiration for my favorite line to my friends whose dogs find themselves suddenly pitted against the new boyfriends, " Heed the dog, because men are often wrong about dogs, but dogs are seldom wrong about a men."
review image
on April 20, 2014
I read this book several years ago - and have read it 3 more times since then!
I really related to the first part of the book where "our heroine" sets up the mess that is her life. (Been there, done that an embarrassing number of times!) But just when she thinks her life can't possibly get worse, she gets some unexpected support. Her dog starts talking to her! In fact, a BUNCH of dogs start talking to her. Some are brilliant - others, not so much. I particularly love the Golden Retriever who says "Dude!" everytime he sees her.
Being able to talk to dogs - and they to her - doesn't actually make her life easier...but it sure makes the book a pleasure to read. Full of empathy and frustration and an unexpectedly happy ending that isn't an ending so much as a new begining! This book doesn't take a lot of brain power to figure out and it is exceptionally satisfying to read. I love that!
The shipping was fast - the packaging was professional - and for less than the price of a movie ticket, I got this book that I love and it's in PERFECT condition!
The icing on the cake is that it's signed by the author!
I'm in dog heaven!!