Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ $3.60 shipping
+ Free Shipping
Walnut Hollow 3219 Wood Box, Classic
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Perfect for many arts, crfats and hobby projects. Create the perfect gift.
- Basswood top and sides are ideal for chip carving and woodburning
- Easy to decorate with paint, stain, fabric, paper, attach stickers, decoupage, or stamp
- The approximate outside dimensions are 6.46-inches (164mm) by 5.36-inches (136mm) by 3.00-inches (76mm)
- Proudly Made in the USA
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
This American made smaller trinket box with hinged lid has many uses and is easily decorated to create a useful gift. The top and sides are made from basswood which is ideal for many forms of decoration such as wood burning, chip carving, painting, staining, stamping and decoupage. Cover with paper or fabric to match your home décor. Approximate external dimensions are 6.46-inches (164mm) by 5.36-inches (136mm) by 3.00-inches (76mm). Proudly Made in Wisconsin, USA.
From the Manufacturer
Basswood box has hinged lid. Ready to stain, paint, decoupage, cover with fabric, woodburn, woodcarve, embellish, or stamp. Made in the United States.
Top Customer Reviews
(1) UNIQUE SIZE: The dimensions on this box are rather unique. I looked for some time for a box of this size, and wasn't really able to find these exact size specifications. Specifically, the exterior dimensions of the box is 12 inches long, 9 inches wide, and 3.75 inches deep. The interior dimensions of the box is 11 inches long, 8 inches wide, and 2.75 inches deep.
(1) PLYWOOD: In the product photos (and from the seller's description), this box from the photos appears to be higher quality or at least a non-plywood construction. However, its simply textured plywood (i.e., walnut plywood). Since this box is plywood, it has unsightly blemishes in the wood. These blemishes appear more pronounced when the box is stained. (Please see the photos below to see the blemish that I am describing).
(2) SPLITTING CORNERS: When I stained the box, the corners of the box split because they were only glued together. Generally boxes are held together using corner joints. I have never seen a professionally sold box that was simply glued together on all sides. Because of this unprofessional construction, the box split on the corners once it was stained. Also, glue doesn't stain--so the edges of the box appear white.
(3) UNEVEN HINGING: The box, likely as a result of the splitting corners, does not close evenly. Essentially, the hinges appear to be off by about 1/4 of an inch.
(3) WEIGHT: The box is extremely light weight because its made of plywood. Since I was hoping for a sturdy box that I could store a game in, the boxes weight posed a real issue.
OVERALL: This box may be great if your intent is to paint it because the paint may provide re-enforcement to the glued together corners. However, if you intend to stain the wood or leave it untreated, I suggest you look elsewhere. The box is cheap plywood and I am sure you can find something better suited for your needs.
I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. For one the build quality was excellent; the box was very clean, it wasn't warped, and was free of burrs and defects in the material and workmanship. I was easily able to convert one of these into a custom arcade stick for home video gaming, and will purchase more to do the same.
A word of caution however, if you plan to drill this box, go carefully and slowly. The wood is very thin on the top and bottom and subject to fracture. If you put screws in it, drill pilot holes first. If you are drilling a large hole, (greater than .125") I recommend using a step bit or a unibit. For all other drilling, use a bit in excellent condition and drill slowly.
Hot glue will adhere strongly to the material which is also a nice plus for those that are modifying this box.
I have to say that if I had the proper tools and enough space, I could produce a box like this for a mere fraction of the cost. Unfortunately, that's not feasible in my situation. I must buy pre-made boxes for my projects. Considering that, this is one of the best products I've found in that regard.
The box opens easily and the hinges are secure. It is nicely finished, no splinters like you can get on unfinished wood, but it would need a light sanding before painting to make it perfectly smooth.
I bought 2 of them, one for me and one for my wife. My wife's box I stained and modge podged a picture of us as well as our wedding vows on the inside.
It looked really good after treating/staining/modgepodge, and my wife really loves it, even though the base box is a pretty cheap product. :)
Worth the price, especially if you use your own time to make it look a little nicer!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Good wood, not off center and well made.