Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
Walnut Hollow Unfinished Wood Classic Box with Hinged Lid for Arts, Crafts, Hobbies and Home Storage
Get free shipping
Free 5-8 business-day shipping within the U.S. when you order $25 of eligible items sold or fulfilled by Amazon.
Or get 4-5 business-day shipping on this item for $5.99. (Prices may vary for AK and HI.)Learn more about free shipping
|You Save:||$4.16 (28%)|
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Perfect for many arts, crfats and hobby projects. Create the perfect gift.
- Basswood box has hinged lid and is ideal for chip carving and woodburning
- Ready to stain, paint, decoupage, cover with fabric, wood burn, wood carve, embellish, or stamp
- The approximate outside dimensions are 6.46 by 5.06 by 3.08 - in Inches
- Made in the USA
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers also shopped for
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
From the manufacturer
From the Manufacturer
Walnut Hollow is the nation's leading provider of wood surfaces, tools, and accessories for the craft, hobby, art, and hardware industries. For over 45 years, our family-owned company has been recognized for its commitment to quality products and superb customer service.
Walnut Hollow Unfinished Wood Classic Box with Hinged Lid
For Arts, Crafts, Hobbies, and Home Storage
About the product:
- High quality construction
- Handmade in Wisconsin, USA
- Ready for any finish
- Use paint or stain to add colors or designs
- Perfect for craft room storage, gift wrapping, keepsake storage, and so much more
|Walnut Hollow Unfinished Wood Classic Box||Walnut Hollow Unfinished Wood Keepsake Box||Walnut Hollow Unfinished Wood Tissue Box||Walnut Hollow Unfinished Wood Rounded Trunk Box||Walnut Hollow Unfinished Wood Playing Card Box||Walnut Hollow Unfinished Wood Card Keeper Box|
|Dimensions ( W x H x D )||5.1 x 6.5 x 3.1"||7.3 x 10.7 x 2.5"||5.1 x 5.1 x 6.2"||3.8 x 6.1 x 3.1"||4.7 x 6.1 x 2"||5.7 x 6.5 x 6"|
|Wood Type||Basswood||Basswood & Baltic Birch||Basswood||Basswood & Baltic Birch||Basswood||Basswood & Baltic Birch|
|Lid Style||Hinged Lid||Hinged||No Lid||Hinged||Hinged||Slide Lid|
|Creative Ideas||Home storage, gift box, and keepsake box||Home storage, gift box, and keepsake box||Tissue box (will fit most tissue boxes)||Home storage, gift box, and keepsake box||Playing card storage, wedding ring box, and gift box||Greeting card storage (fits size A2 envelopes)|
This American made smaller trinket box with hinged lid has many uses and is easily decorated to create a useful gift. The top and sides are made from basswood which is ideal for many forms of decoration such as wood burning, chip carving, painting, staining, stamping and decoupage. Cover with paper or fabric to match your home décor. Approximate external dimensions are 6.46-inches (164mm) by 5.36-inches (136mm) by 3.00-inches (76mm). Proudly Made in Wisconsin, USA.
From the Manufacturer
Basswood box has hinged lid. Ready to stain, paint, decoupage, cover with fabric, woodburn, woodcarve, embellish, or stamp. Made in the United States.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
(1) UNIQUE SIZE: The dimensions on this box are rather unique. I looked for some time for a box of this size, and wasn't really able to find these exact size specifications. Specifically, the exterior dimensions of the box is 12 inches long, 9 inches wide, and 3.75 inches deep. The interior dimensions of the box is 11 inches long, 8 inches wide, and 2.75 inches deep.
(1) PLYWOOD: In the product photos (and from the seller's description), this box from the photos appears to be higher quality or at least a non-plywood construction. However, its simply textured plywood (i.e., walnut plywood). Since this box is plywood, it has unsightly blemishes in the wood. These blemishes appear more pronounced when the box is stained. (Please see the photos below to see the blemish that I am describing).
(2) SPLITTING CORNERS: When I stained the box, the corners of the box split because they were only glued together. Generally boxes are held together using corner joints. I have never seen a professionally sold box that was simply glued together on all sides. Because of this unprofessional construction, the box split on the corners once it was stained. Also, glue doesn't stain--so the edges of the box appear white.
(3) UNEVEN HINGING: The box, likely as a result of the splitting corners, does not close evenly. Essentially, the hinges appear to be off by about 1/4 of an inch.
(3) WEIGHT: The box is extremely light weight because its made of plywood. Since I was hoping for a sturdy box that I could store a game in, the boxes weight posed a real issue.
OVERALL: This box may be great if your intent is to paint it because the paint may provide re-enforcement to the glued together corners. However, if you intend to stain the wood or leave it untreated, I suggest you look elsewhere. The box is cheap plywood and I am sure you can find something better suited for your needs.
The box opens easily and the hinges are secure. It is nicely finished, no splinters like you can get on unfinished wood, but it would need a light sanding before painting to make it perfectly smooth.
I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. For one the build quality was excellent; the box was very clean, it wasn't warped, and was free of burrs and defects in the material and workmanship. I was easily able to convert one of these into a custom arcade stick for home video gaming, and will purchase more to do the same.
A word of caution however, if you plan to drill this box, go carefully and slowly. The wood is very thin on the top and bottom and subject to fracture. If you put screws in it, drill pilot holes first. If you are drilling a large hole, (greater than .125") I recommend using a step bit or a unibit. For all other drilling, use a bit in excellent condition and drill slowly.
Hot glue will adhere strongly to the material which is also a nice plus for those that are modifying this box.
I have to say that if I had the proper tools and enough space, I could produce a box like this for a mere fraction of the cost. Unfortunately, that's not feasible in my situation. I must buy pre-made boxes for my projects. Considering that, this is one of the best products I've found in that regard.