Industrial Deals Beauty Textbooks Shop women's shoes nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. New LG Stylo 4 | $249.99. Save with Prime Exclusive Phones. Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Customer reviews

War Surrounds Us
Format: Paperback|Change
Price:$11.02+ Free shipping

on June 24, 2016
As an American-Israeli, like Michael Dickel, and having lived through several wars in Israel, I was very interested in reading Michael's book of poems "War Surrounds Us" and I wasn't disappointed. Robert Burns wished the gods would give us the gift to see ourselves as others see us. I think that poets like Michael give us that gift to see ourselves and to see ourselves wanting only peace with our neighbors but being pulled against our wills into a very frightening and disheartening war. Imagine sirens and missiles in Minneapolis Minnesota or Columbus Ohio. What is a gentle soul doing in a scorpion infested place like this? I especially like Michael's poems "The Roses" about the futility of words and ideas, "The Cost of Yellow" about the price of wind and the cost of yellow flowers when missiles and the rubble of buildings seem to be for free, the title poem about the Druze restaurant reminding one of Hinckley Minnesota except for the thunder of war just over the horizon, and "Here does not live in me" -- you don't know how to swim in the rock and sand or set sail on our heat waves. There are no easy answers here; only an exceedingly difficult question: why not peace?
on October 20, 2015
These poems are raw, intimate, personal, and beautifully written. Some of them even put tears in my eyes. Michael has really captured the essence of the beauty, strangeness, and pain that envelopes us in times of war.
on August 22, 2015
Jerusalem, Summer 2014: Michael Dickel and his family including Moshe (3 years) and Naomi (1 year) hear the air raid sirens, find safety in shelters, and don’t find relief during vacation travels. In a country smaller than New Jersey, there is no escaping the grumbling wars that encircle. So Michael did what writers and poets do. He bore witness. He picked up his pen and recorded thoughts, feelings, sounds, fears, colors, events and concerns in poetry. The result is his third collection of poems, a chapbook, War Surrounds Us.

While some use poetry as a a clarion call to galvanize war, Michael’s poetry is a cry for peace. He watched the provocations between Israel and Hamas that resulted in war in 2014 and he illustrates the insanity.

And the retaliation
Continues, reptilian and cold,
retaliation the perpetrator
of all massacres.

Though the poems change their pacing and structure, they present a cohesive logical and emotional flow, one that takes you blood and bone into the heart of Michael’s experience as a human being, a poet, a Jew, a father and husband. He touches the humanity in all of us with his record of the tension between summer outings and death tolls, life as usual and the omnipresence of war. Both thumbs up on this one. Bravo, Michael Dickel.
on August 22, 2015
Michael Dickel - I like the disphony in your poems. I like the way you introduced this device.

I like the metaphor of this device applied to your work, especially as your
book's front pages explain your work here as "peace poetry".

Your beautiful poetry gives not one word of beauty or glory to war.
That speaks volumes to me.

Your book is marvelous, & I treasure what you have publicly shared, therein. Thank you xs

Your work starkly and beautifully presents our problem, Peace's problem.

You are extremely useful and resourceful, it is clear.

Yet you mention no glimmer, no hint, nor suggestion - towards peace.

Perhaps amongst the peace poets the artisanal tasks include glimmers, hints, solutions?
on July 26, 2015
Reading Michel's poems gives you a sense of the time and place. You feel the warmth; you smell the roses. Very readable and understandable.
on July 6, 2015
The poems about one of the most profound conflicts between people are rooted in the everyday life of the author and his family who live in Jerusalem. Michael doesn't take sides. Arabs and Jews are represented equally. Through portraying his children he poses larger questions about how we are going to deal with the Other in our lives in the future. I would say that although this is about war, the poems sound hopeful to me. I realize that it takes a lot of pain for the poet not to harbor to convenient ready-to-use justification of Israel's existence as a state and instead face the injustices and acknowledge the painful truth. It must be taking a lot of energy from the author. But once he's done this job for us, we should use it. Once we acknowledge it, we can deal with it. These poems are food for thought not only intellectually. The words connect you to your body through emotions: the last lines of each poem literally give me goosebumps.
3 people found this helpful