Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Waring DF200 Professional Deep Fryer, Brushed Stainless Steel
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 16 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on December 19, 2003
I've only had this a short time and only used it a few times, but here are my impressions thus far.
PROS:
Attractive, durable construction. Wire basket is excellent; handle folds inside basket for compast storage inside the unit.
Lid is well thought-out, with silicone lined notches on the handle end so it fits snuggly and you don't have to lift it to raise or lower the basket.
Cleanup is fairly easy. Toss lid and basket in the dishwasher, drain the oil reservoir using the convenient corner pour spout (use a large funnel if straining, because one gallon gets heavy after awhile) and put the reservoir into the dishwasher. Everything except the heating element is immersible. I put the element on a plate to let it drain and then wipe it clean.
Oil heats up rapidly. The deep reservoir keeps splattering to a minimum. Food cooks fairly close to times indicated in recipes or on boxes, so I assume temperature is accurate. Fries came out crisp, mozarella sticks were done perfectly.
Number one advantage: because this has an immersible heating element (it's big, not like one you'd attach to an electric skillet), the oil temp below the element is cooler; thus all the burned bits fall down there, so you can cook batches of fries without getting floating debris stuck to them.
Maximum temperature is 375, but the manual says it has a safety feature whereby it automatically turns off if the oil exceeds 525. The safety features are great, like the short magnetically attached cord. It's secure enough so that it doesn't come loose when you move the unit but if someone were to pull the cord, it would break away from the unit.
The basket hanger inside the unit is handy for draining.
Lid seems to catch the condensation.
CONS:
My cons are pretty insignficant.
My main one would be that the oil cools significantly when you add significant quantities of food (even unfrozen food) and takes too long to heat up. For example, I did a batch of fresh fries, and the oil cooled but didn't heat up to the correct temperature in the four minutes it took to cook them. When I did a very small batch of fries, the oil temp. never dropped.
When I set the timer for under three minutes, it never went off. Everything over that was fine, however.
If you make something like corndogs, lower basket first and drop directly into oil or it will definitely stick to basket. Sometimes it sticks to basket anyway. Then the basket is a little harder to clean. I had to use a fork to poke the crust out of some of the holes.
Biggest drawback: Filter in lid cannot be removed and replaced. The fliter in the lid isn't the greatest. It's not a charcoal one, for example, that would readily absorb all the cooking odors. It seems to be a steel mesh thing. It's welded in and although you can clean it through the "gills" on the lid, you cannot replace it. Being able to remove and clean/replace the filter would be better. This one doesn't seem to trap odors well.
But these are small issues. I really like the deep fryer and it's a million times better than the old "Fry Daddy" my parents had growing up. It never splatters outside the deep fryer, it's easy to clean, and the food comes out far superior to any deep fryer I've ever used, which I believe is because the crumbs fall to the bottom of the unit.
Definitely worth the price--it costs my family $20 each time we go to McDonald's, so this will pay for itself easily. Last night my kids said "Mom, we don't ever have to go out to eat again because you can make all our favorite foods now."
0Comment| 185 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2005
It is a good looking unit, built well. I'm happy with it, but have had issues regarding the heating element which sits in the oil. Battered food items dropping into the oil sometimes sink down into the heating element and get stuck. For instance when making funnel cakes, the batter had a tendency to get stuck on or under the element. You had to lift the element up (while hot) and try and clear the mess. I hadn't made funnel cakes in a long time and thought I'd try them in our new DF200, I would have been much better off just using my old fashioned cast iron skillet.

There may be other advantages of having the heating element in the actual oil, but I'm not sure if it is worth it.

My aunt has one of those white plastic exterior cool touch units, the heating element is under the smooth bottomed oil bucket. No food can get stuck in it.

Even so I'd probably still buy the DF200 again.
on July 7, 2006
I've always wanted a deep fryer, and finally decided to take the plunge. After doing quite a bit of research, I decided on this model - picked one up at Bed, Bath, and Beyond with a 20% coupon. In my opinion, you generally get what you pay for - so the extra cost vs. competitors wasn't a real concern.

I must say, overall, I am quite pleased. While I am new to frying, I found it extraordinarily easy (it is pretty hot though, so be careful). Only complaint would be that the capacity is a little on the small side, say if you're cooking entrees for a larger family (for example, you can really only fit 3 (MAYBE 4) pieces of chicken at a time). But since the chicken needs to cool down anyway, this wasn't such a major issue. It came out nice, crispy, and golden brown - not too soggy, not too crisp - perfect.

I figure if it can handle the chicken, vegetables and smaller portions will be a piece of cake. Although I've only fried a couple of batches, I am beyond pleased - but I'll let you know if I have any problems... Great item so far though.
on October 21, 2005
Hands down this is the best fryer I've owned. Temp. control is great, does a good job with fryes (especially the fry twice method). Only draw back is the limited capacity of the fryer basket. Having tried Presto, GE and others this is the best.
on October 16, 2005
It fries great ... oil temp stays uniform and buield up of flour and crumbs doesnt effect the raised elements . My only complaint now that we had it days under a year is the magnetic saftey electical chord now has to be jiggled and played with to make contact. Can be very annoying to have to play with it for 15 min to cook or loses contact while cooking
on March 2, 2006
Very Good Deep Fryer. Deep Fries the food in less time than most other deep fryers. We searched many sites to find this product in 1800 watts The only down side of the product is that the basket is alot smaller than we had thought from the description. All other features of this product are excellent. You can tilt the heating coil to allow the oil to drain off of it before cleaning. Clean up is so easy. Also there is a timer built right into the top mechanism along with the temperature guage. We would highly recommend this deep fryer over many other models. The price was great.
on July 28, 2005
All of the positive comments I read in other reviews prior to buying this fryer turned out to be correct. This fryer is very well thought out- cooks fantastic food. The first thing I tried was fried chicken tenders, and it was honestly the best fried chicken I have ever had!

I love the way that it all disassembles for simple cleaning. Only improvement would be an inner basket that prevents sticking.

Otherwise- got a GREAT deal, and am very impressed with this fryer. Buy this one!
on February 23, 2006
The fryer is easy to clean after you have easily cooked your food. I say easily because it maintains temp and the timer is handy. The only problem I have is foods with a wet batter. You need to drop them into the hot grease, do not set them in the basket and place it in the grease, they stick. Oh yeah, the window fogs up and you can't see the food, so use the timer.
on August 2, 2005
This is a very good professional style deep fryer. You can't find a better one for the price.
on July 24, 2013
The fryer works well, fries evenly and is a breeze to clean. The only problem I have with this appliance is the cord. The part that actually plugs into the unit. My husband has had to repair it 2 times since I've had it.

See 1 answered question