Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 27 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 37 reviews
on August 5, 2015
I was Cuba:Treasures from the Ramiro Fernandez Collection.Nice little book,Binding isn't as good,Photos are superb except a few.The photographs that do not belong are a heartwarming (NOT to me)photo of the Massmurderers Che(With his daughter),Fidel with his Son,and a couple others of fidel and "revolutionaries" and Raul. Although the Reasoning according to The author for the interview in this book is because he felt the photography should be included despite his opposition.I believe it could be to placate the San Francisco Based Publisher of the book,Chronicle.There are some wonderful photos in here,I Love the Cuba Grand Prix racing pictures and the Sagua To Habana rally Race pictures.They should have made the binding better for the book if you are not careful it can come off the spine somewhat even if new and packed right.There is a follow up to the book which I will add,Overall I wish there would have been Pictures of Grau and Prio but it is a collection from the Author/compiler.
on August 7, 2017
Provocative photos from pre-1959 Cuba, which shows a glimpse of what life was there when it wasn't a prison camp. This is a good photo documentary that shows that Cuba was a beautiful and delightful country, not the Mafia run B-Movie that Hollywood so often portrays. Get this book, snowflakes, and get an education on history...
on February 12, 2015
Gorgeous pictures! I love pictures and this is what this book is about. Truly shows the real Cuba. I've always been intrigued by Cuba because my relatives on my dad's size used to go all the time with the Newport, Ky group of mafia. I will eventually go someday. They talked of the people, places to eat, colors, dedication of the people who owned the American cars to keep them in perfect shape. I just was mesmerized by their talk. A lot of their talk is in the 'I Was Cuba' book, that's why I like it so very much. My aunt would walk by the beautiful beaches and go into the homes of the citizens, they made they so welcome. The buildings were large and as I could tell, built by people who cared about them. Just a lovely island in the Atlantic ocean.
on October 23, 2007
This tidy little volume is worth much more than it costs. The nicely embossed cover has a "quality" feel, and the pictures deliver a unique experience.

I bought this as a birthday gift for the father of my fiancee -- he's visited Cuba on a business basis (he's in an industry that IS allowed to do limited biz with the island's current regime). Anyway, he was delighted.

This brilliantly chosen photo collection illuminates a Cuba that no longer exists. The thing to remember is, the "lost" Cuba is not dead, just slumbering beneath the surface of the modern Communist state. The Cuban past caught in these pix explains a lot of the present reality; it may be VERY relevant to the near future, when Castro is gone and Cuba's mixed history and modern experience recombine. Highly recommended. P.S. - I also bought, and he also loved, Es Cuba Es Cuba: Life and Love on an Illegal Island, a nicely written love-and-hate story of contradictions in contemporary Cuban life.
on March 13, 2008
I Was Cuba: Treasures from the Ramiro Fernandez Collection

This book contains an amazing collection of old photographs that essentially cover the entire island. It is a real TREASURE. The selection of images is excellent; subjects are representative of 'times gone by'. I have gifted the book to individuals who lived in Cuba and are familiar with many of the places included in the collections of photos. The response has been extremely positive.

The author deserves credit for such a good selection of subjects, relatively good images -considering the time that has passed. Younger persons have also enjoyed a 'virtual visit' to a country that is out of bounds for most people.
on June 12, 2014
Gave this and Cuba Then to my mother for Mother's day. Too bad that the captions were in the back of the book, making it difficult for her to leaf back and forth, due to her age and Parkinson's disease. Still, she was overjoyed with the beautiful photos within.
on May 30, 2014
Excellent book of photos both old and new of Cuba. Very romantic subject matter, well presented. Good buy especially at the low price Amazon offered this at when I bought it.
on April 28, 2015
Really beautiful collection of photos that I had no idea were part of Cuba's history. My dad loved this!
on December 7, 2007
A wonderful pictorial book on a Cuba that has now passed.

Having not been able to remember the country I was born in, this beautiful
book has been able to fill some precious gaps!

I heartily recommend this as a holiday gift for someone you know who may remember the images pictured here.

Also recommendedWaiting for Snow in Havana: Philadelphia Selection:book 1
on February 8, 2014
This small island was a paradise before the communism destroyed it a let everybody in ruins, fisically and mentaly. The baies borned after don't know what they are missing...