BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Russell Dickerson PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 23, 2013
....if not better than the high priced Nikon battery. I've had no problems with this "generic" battery, and,in fact, it seems to be outlasting the charge of the Nikon. I'll be buying another one for back up

Review update: 5/20/2013

That is what I said back in February, 2013. As I have seen others state on here, this battery does not work with the Nikon D5100. Oh, maybe for a few times, but then it mysteriously becomes incompatible with the camera.

Don't get caught off guard as I did. I was 3000 miles from home in a foreign country and in a fairly remote area. I had made a special trip to an area at night and was HIGHLY disappointed when after a couple of shots I got a camera error stating, "this battery is not compatible with the camera". At that time I did not have a back up battery with me (my Nikon battery was charging at the time) and I lost the opportunity I had made for this special trip.

Don't be fooled by the lower price. If you have a high end or semi high end camera, spend the extra $15.00 and get the real deal.

I'd hate to see others fall into the same situation I did.
55 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2012
I'm using the batteries in a Nikon D5100 and they work flawlessly. I haven't done an exhaustive comparison, but these batteries seem to last as least as long as the Nikon battery. The charger is taller but otherwise smaller than the Nikon charger and it comes with an adapter for using with a 12V outlet, like you'd find in a car or a boat (which is what I need it for). The charger is easy to read, the led is red when charging and green when done. I think that's easier to remember than the Nikon flashing/solid led system. I'm very pleased with the purchase, especially the price. For about the same price as the Nikon brand, I get two batteries and a charger.

Full Disclosure: Blue Nook called me and asked how I liked the batteries and charger. I said I was happy. They said if you write a review we'll send you a another battery, free. I wrote the above review and I got the free battery. But what I said in the review are my true feelings about the product.
on September 29, 2016
This battery works on a lot Nikon cameras. I have personally tried it on the Nikon D5100 and D5500. I did a lot of research before buying the Wasabi brand battery and found that over all the ratings were excellent some lasting many years with no problems. The battery fit inside the camera smoothly and since it is rated at a higher amp hour (1500) it actually lasted longer approximately 10% more according to use. If you are interested in this battery then go to some of the photography sites (such as Ugly Hedge Hogs -[...]) and do a search and find out what the professionals opinions are. That's what convinced me. Compared to the price of the OEM battery this one is a bargain and maybe an even better battery. Make your own decision. I did and am very happy with it.
on January 31, 2015
Less than one year of owning these batteries, and my Nikon D5100 now gives this error when trying to use them: "This battery cannot be used. Choose battery designated for use in this camera." Just buy a real battery and save the grief.
review image
on July 27, 2017
They work fine with my Nikon D5500; However, I don't think they last quite as long on a charge as the OEM battery - perhaps 25% less. But for the price paid, you can get 3 of these for the price of one OEM so it is not much of a tradeoff.

If you look as the reviews for the OEM battery, folks will blame the non OEM battery for all sorts of problems: Don't let that stop you. It is a battery and as long as it is the right physical size and the same volts/amps, it will work fine and will not destroy your camera. About the only thing you could worry about is if it starts leaking battery acid - yeah, that could destroy your camera. But that could happen to any battery so it is always wise to not store the camera with any battery installed - not even for a few days.

These will even work in my Nikon intelligent charger.
on August 21, 2017
I got this for my Nikon D5500 DSLR camera and knowing that Wasabi Power is a well known third party battery company. It's been good to me for over 6 months and I havent had a serious issue with it. I rarely got the error for "wrong power source or battery" from my Nikon camera.

PROs:
- Battery can last me all day if I don't record videos.
- Comes with a charging station
- YOU GET 2 SPARES!

CONs:
- It's rare on the Nikon D5500 but, I get the error sometimes for when my camera thinks its power source is incorrect.

SUMING UP:

This has given me flexibility to not care how much I shoot per day if I were on an ALL DAY adventure and forget to turn off the camera. I can pretty much shoot all day with one battery and if I want to, I can put this on a battery grip!
on March 7, 2017
Wow these batteries last a long time in my Nikon D5500.
on May 4, 2016
For the price you can't beat it for a pair of batteries. I use this on my Nikon D3300.

How does it compare to the OEM Nikon battery?

They are identical in size obviously, so they fit in the Nikon charger and all. They DO NOT hold as much juice as the Nikon brand battery. They get maybe 65%-75% recording time compared to Nikon brand when doing HD video. For just taking regular photos, this may be a bit different, but I'm not taking a lot of photos so I don't know exactly. I would assume it's the same sort of thing, just the HD video knocks out batteries way faster. While running video, constantly pressing record on and off and getting many files of footage whilst the camera is turned on in between shots, the battery goes quick - like maybe 1.25 hours of the camera on, while capturing maybe 40 minutes of footage at 1080p 30fps for my Nikon D3300.
on September 25, 2012
About a year and a half ago when I bought my D5100, I decided to look for some spare batteries since you never know if you'll lose one or you just need some extra juice on a particularly long day. I looked on eBay and bought a couple that said they were EN-EL14 compatible, but did not specifically list the D5100 (though they did list the D3100 and, as I recall, the D5000). To make a long story short, I paid the $14 for two batteries (along with shipping) and received something about a week later. I eagerly charged them up only to find out they didn't work. I contacted the seller and I was pretty much out of luck. They agreed to give me a refund, but the return shipping would have chewed through that money; I kind of think that's what they rely upon. So, I bit the bullet and bought a spare at Best Buy for $50 which I thought was outrageous. I've always used generics in the past and they've worked fine, but I guess Nikon has a monopoly to protect. A couple weeks ago someone posted on a photography forum that they looking to save some money on batteries for the D5100. I shared my experience looking for a cheaper alternative to Nikon-branded batteries. Shortly thereafter, I was contacted by a representative from Blue Nook who told me about their chipped "Wasabi Power" batteries which were recently "chip" decoded to work with the D5100. After a bit of skepticism I agreed to test out his battery which I was able to get for less than half the cost of what I paid in Best Buy. The best part is that it arrived in 1 or 2 days. I put it through its paces and it holds a charge at least as well as the Nikon-branded EN-EL14s. I've only shot a couple hundred photos with them, but I haven't been able to run them dry yet. They're rated at 1300 mah whereas the Nikons are 1050 mah so I imagine they last a little bit longer. So far, I am pleasantly impressed with my experience using these batteries. They have not gotten unduly warm or exploded in my camera so there's something to be said for that. From my admittedly limited experience with D5100 after-market batteries, these are the only non-Nikons that work with the D5100. There may be others, but I'm done looking around and I'm pretty happy with them.

P.S. For those interested, the Blue Nook rep told me he also had batteries for my NEX 5N, but I'm covered on that front. I get the impression they make a wide assortment of after-market batteries so they might be a good source if you're looking for a hard-to-find item.
on September 4, 2012
I've been using Wasabi batteries for several months in my Panasonic HDC-HS900 video camera. I've been very, very pleased with their quality and perfomance. Recently, I purchased the Nikon D5100 and I was pleasantly surprised to find that Wasabi was just about to release their newly de-coded batteries for my camera. I pre-ordered them and they arrived a few days ago. I'm finding that these batteries are better than the original Nikon battery because they have more power and last longer. These are de-coded and can be used directly in the camera just like the original Nikon battery which means they can work directly in the camera and not just in an external battery holder like other similar off-brand batteries have to be used. Since they are de-coded, they work just like the original Nikon battery and WILL NOT give error messages when they are put into the camera unlike other off-brand batteries. The charger is well-made and comes with a car lighter adapter if you need to charge the batteries while on the go. The price for these batteries/charger as compared to original Nikon batteries/charger is significantly less but the quality is equal to, if not better. I highly recommend these batteries and charger. They are an excellent choice! And 5 stars to Blue Nook customer service too! Ultra-fast shipping!