Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 161-170 of 733 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 947 reviews
on April 19, 2017
Chernow is an amazing biographer. The best! - exhaustively researched and a compelling read.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 30, 2016
Detailed history, with engaging incite into Washington's personality and thinking.

Great book too on early founding of the U.S.

One flaw, the full texts of speeches by Washington as well as key letters were not included in the book.

Would have added greater flavor.
on January 13, 2015
Not a page turning read, but a thorough and scholarly view into the life of a great man. I have a new appreciation for a real man who was fated to a great responsibility, and did not shirk from duty.
on April 16, 2017
I needed a bulky book to read that I could really dive into. The incredible life of George Washington's life is masterfully told by Chernow. Whether you already know American history or not, anyone can indulge into this book and learn something new.
on April 26, 2014
This work by Ron Chernow deserves very high marks for not only providing very detailed historical insight into Washington as both a military and a public servant; but also in review of his private life. This author presented documented proof about his inner most thoughts, and/or opinions; which were masterfully intertwined with the historical events, and other well known personalities he was in contact with, throughout his highly historical life.

At times, in the latter few chapters, it would almost seem as though too much detail was provided.
on July 13, 2012
I ordered this on December 20th as a Christmas present for my dad with Amazon Prime. I saw it being talked about on the Today show and saw that it was recommended by Bill Clinton. I did not realize how thick the book was (my dad reads very slow) but he loves it! He reads sections of it every day and talks about it constantly! He feels a real connection with the people in the book. We went and visited the Biltmore Estate in Asheville and he started getting emotional in the Library because some of the books in the library were written by who my dad is reading about! I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in History. It makes a great gift!
on July 18, 2017
The life, great accomplishments and dismal failures of George Washington are told in a solid and merciful voice. This biography is a testament to research and great writing. Well done!
on January 27, 2016
This book was enlightening in so many ways..the conflict between the federal government and the states is as bitter today as it was at the time of the birth of our country. But somehow we can survive and thrive...it makes me realize that we really live in a fabulous country even though there are times why can't we do better...everyone should read this book!!!!!
on June 8, 2016
For those interested in George Washington, Chernow hits a home run!! This is the volume to read. Writing style is a breeze and surrounding events and people are brought into context.
on March 24, 2017