Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animespring animespring animespring  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 31 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 35 reviews
on December 30, 2009
Unlike so many books about writing that try to be "The Definitive Guide to Being a Writer," this book does not overreach. Instead, just as the title suggests, it offers 102 project ideas and business avenues that writers can explore. This "cut to the chase" approach makes the book more useful than other writing books that waste paper and time with a lot of boilerplate material about bookkeeping, taxes, time management and other stuff that's mostly common sense or, if not, can be looked up easily in any general business reference book.

The ideas presented here are broken down into broad categories, such as magazines, newspapers, and corporate writing, with each specific "gig" numbered and given its own writeup that includes an introduction as well as detailed advice in a question/answer format. The Q and A sections answer such questions as how to get started, whom to contact, and how much to charge for a writing job. Other helpful advice is provided where appropriate, often in the form of interviews with writers or editors who specialize in the type of work being profiled as one of the book's 102 featured writing jobs.

For someone who actually wants to make money writing, I recommend this book over most any other writing book on the market. It's readable and well organized, and it contains many ideas that a motivated writer can use to get his or her material into print.
0Comment| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 28, 2010
I.J. Schechter really does present exactly 102 ways for the freelance writer to earn income from writing, and the book announces loudly each one with large, bold, white-on-black numbers. The cleverness continues. The "102" puts the number of goodies one higher than the more humdrum 101 (...Ways to ..., Cook Artichokes, Do Your Laundry, etc.). The "1,500 Words" tells the serious writer that Schechter's ideas are each large enough to weed out the duffers, but short enough so that a good writer could secure many, many gigs for pay.

Choice of title aside, "102 Ways" ranks at the top of writers' how-to books. The author's straight-shooter style sometimes gets called "non-nonsense," but one will find enough humor sprinkled throughout the text to make the book flow smoothly. In fact, most of the book's charm lies in the matter-of-fact way which the reader sees that writing for income is quite a do-able thing. Chapter 4, "Corporate Writing," is easily worth the price of the book just by itself.

The author plainly states what "102 Ways" does, and does not do. The book does detail what each of the writing area topics entails as to whom to contact, what to offer as service, how much effort usually goes into it, etc. The book does NOT name what specific gig charge rates should be. Schechter tells us to find this crucial current information in several places, e.g., Writers Market - excellent, excellent approach. Most books are vulnerable to criticism, or at least a few cautionary words. This one does not. "102 Ways" gives you plenty of money's-worth. Buy the book.
VINE VOICEon March 21, 2011
I found myself totally engrossed right from the first page of the introduction to the last paragraph of suggestion 102 "Grant Writing. "At first glance I thought "this is not what I expected from the book. So I was amazed when I found that the very first suggestion tied in directly with a project I am working on.
I have already picked up on several suggestions tailor made for my writing style, whims, and work in process.

The book is divided into five sections: Magazines, Newspapers, Literary Outlets, Corporate Writing, and Everything Else under the Sun. I love Schecter's sense of humor.

Each of the individual "ways to earn money" includes suggestions on where to start, who to contact, and what to charge. The index itself is an excellent "brain storming exercise" for experiencing "aha" moments.

Five Stars and Two Thumbs Up for I. J. Schecter's "102 Ways to Earn Money Writing 1500 Words or Less."
on December 30, 2013
This book Had a lot of writing ideas I hadn't even considered. It also showed contacts and steps to take in order to obtain these writing jobs.
on March 19, 2011
I've been a professional writer for many years, but mostly within government agencies and my own home health business. Recently, I have "gone freelance" and am looking for ways to make a good living with my writing as an independent contractor.

I. J. Schecter has done an outstanding job of targeting people like me in providing an informative snap shot of the many avenues available in building a successful freelance career. He covers magazines, newspapers, literary outlets, corporate writing, and "everything else" which should address the interests of most readers. In fact, I sat down with "102 Ways" to learn more about corporate writing but, after reading the book, I now realize that I don't have to limit myself to just one genre. I'll be exploring other types of writing in the coming months which has expanded my horizons and enthusiasm for freelancing.

"102 Ways" is written in an easy, optimistic fashion that caught and maintained my interest. It's also clear that I. J. Schecter really knows the freelance writing field and environment which made it a credible and enjoyable read.

I've read numerous books on freelance writing over the past year and I rank this among the best. You won't go wrong by buying "102 Ways" if you want to learn more about the many ways to become a successful freelance writer.
on September 7, 2013
I found some of the ideas interesting. If anything this is a good starting point book. Additional research required. If I could do it again, I highly doubt I would have gotten it. But like I said, if you're looking for a starting point and are not sure where or what to turn to AND you know you like to write--this may be the "start of the journey" kind of book you need.
on January 21, 2013
I give this book 3-stars because the book does fulfill its aptly titled promise of giving you 102 Ways to Earn Money Writing 1,500 Words or Less. What the book doesn't do is give you a lot of details on each way to earn money. The author spends 2-3 pages on "each way" of making money and while it gives a summary in each section, it doesn't give much detail on who to contact or how to contact these people to increase your chances of getting the job. This isn't necessary a bad thing, for it will encourage you to delve into further research upon seeing an idea that you like from this book. I also appreciate the author's honesty regarding what articles or article ideas that editors decide to publish. There's no magic bullet and no way of determining a surefire way of getting hired to write an article the author says (keep in mind that I paraphrased here). I appreciate that kind of honesty, but I can only give this book 3 stars.
on November 3, 2013
This book gave me the courage to go out on my own as a freelance writer. I read and thought, "I can do that!" Not rich and famous yet, but I've been making it for almost six months, now. I LOVE my job.
on August 8, 2011
This item came used, and seemed a bit worn, but perfectly functional as books go. The information is slightly out of date as computers and internet have made such a difference in how we writers submit things and find things and etc. But it has good ideas and reminded me of opportunities I'd forgotten about, so it was worth a few dollars to get a boost in creativity.
on October 19, 2013
Lists markets you don't normally think of, what they require, and how to approach them. Solid advice and interesting short interviews with people in the business.