Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 102 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 128 reviews
on January 5, 2015
The Book was practical, down to earth, real, and encouraging! As a mom of two little girls I recommended you read it even if your girls are not Tweens yet (mine are 3 and 5). Lots to still learn and apply and tons to prep yourself before hand. Easy, quick read. Great gift for another mom!
on August 19, 2014
A very practical book for parents looking for practical solutions. Most would agree that active participation is foundational to succeeding as a parent and this book is full of ways to be involved in the life of your daughter from the earliest ages. It has an admitted and obvious Christian bent, but make no mistake; this book is sound and straightforward, and aligns up-to-date approaches with up-to-date research.

I don't want to belabor the good since there are plenty of positive reviews available and many of them provide enough substantive material to let you know whether this would be a good book for you to pick up.

I do want to make a point that the title was a little misleading for me. "How to raise your daughter for marriage" would be a more appropriate title for the book, since that seems to be its aim. This seems to be the only approach that many Christian authors appear to be able to take on this point and so I don't want to single out Gresh as if she is alone in this matter. I do, however, think she should share the burden of criticism with the masses who perpetuate this "marriage-only" culture. They are characterized by battle-cries that cherry-pick Old Testament verses that talk about the blessings of physical children and a physical marriage while they willingly ignore and neglect many of the New Testament verses that talk about Christ fulfilling the marriage picture, Christ's declaration that his followers are born through spiritual means, and somehow consistently miss the connection between Paul's encouragement to single people to remain sexually pure and to devote themselves to God through a single life.

Dannah Gresh deserves a huge 'thank you' for a book that is simple, accesible, and much needed in a society that hyper-sexualizes young girls. Though she alludes to it in her opening chapter, most readers will not be able to fully appreciate the sheer volume of research consolidated into this very-easy read that is really just shy of 150 pages (with a good chunk of the space being taken up with pictures and insightful tips)

Gresh seems genuinely and unselfishly concerned about girls in our society and so I can't help but wonder if she will develop a more balanced response when future generations of girls realize that, after all the tactics have been successfully employed, Christians have raised a generation of girls whose motivation for maintaining sexual purity is riding on a promise that "God has a special man out there for you" when it is becoming clear that this is a promise borne out of a parent's desire and not a promise that Jesus gives to any of his followers.

Overall, a very good read and highly recommended.
on January 23, 2017
A quick read with relatable stories and easy to implement ideas.
on August 30, 2012
My 8 year old has recently started asking some of the hard questions and not letting things go with just the most basic of answers. She has also started liking boys and asking about dating and kissing. I ordered this book and it has helped me realize that I am not alone. Little girls are growing up way to fast these days and it is our job as their mothers to help them grow up to be the women God wants them to be.

It also helped me realize that I let them have too much screen time and that I need to make myself more aware of what my daughter and her friends are watching a listening to these days. It had wonderful ideas for staying connected to my girl and keeping the lines of communication open.

I am now reading the companion "8 Great Dates" book. I plan on doing one of these dates a month with my little girl over the next 8 months..and after that we might just start them all over again!
on February 18, 2012
I can't say enough good things about this book, I've recommended it to all my mom friends. It's an easy read, and the author backs up her messages with scripture, which I love. She provides examples from her own life and gives very helpful advice on how to talk to our little girls. I'm anxious to read the book she just wrote for boys, Six Ways to Keep the Good in Your Boy, as well as 8 Mother/Daughter Dates. I'm also working on getting the Secret Keep Tour to make a stop at our church!
on October 22, 2011
I really enjoyed reading this book as a grand mother to two grand daughters. One is already approaching this age and the other has a few years to go yet. I purchased this book for each of my daughter in laws after I had read it because I did think it was very good. I also purchased three of the Secret Keeper books for the older grand daughter but am returning them after reading just a bit of the one called Call me Kate. I do not go for the modern kids language (totally is used a lot, and we don't really like yeah either, yes is better) so they are going to be returned. I am kind of wondering about the Secret Keeper use as the series title too but will need to investigate that furthur before commenting. Praises for the Six Ways though!
on April 25, 2016
I love, love love this book! Dana is a blessing to new girl Mom's. I have an 8 year old and with a biblical worldview I wanted some guidance on when to talk about her period and sex etc. She also covers modesty and she is so fun to listen to! Definitely worth the buy! I would say if you have a girl between 7-11 you need this ASAP!
on April 20, 2017
Excellent resource of valuable information in mothering your tween (and younger) daughters!
Full of practical insight and projects as well as fun activities.
on January 30, 2013
Some reviews mentioned this book is really for Christian moms. Truthfully, all moms should want to keep the "little" in their girls. Today's girls are bombarded with inappropriate images/info via music, tv and friends at school. I love this book and I know I will go back to it again and again. That being said, if you are not Christian, you need to know that the entire message is peppered with scriptures and Christian viewpoints. This is a great resource for moms who really want to protect their daughters and open up the lines of communication. This book shows you how and has some eye opening true stories. LOVE this book.
on June 26, 2013
Dannah Gresh looked at how children are being raised and what they are being exposed to and she tells us as parents we don't have to just shrug our shoulders and say "it is what it is". We don't have to allow the media to shape our daughters, we can step up and take a more active role in shaping girl's values and morals, and as parents, isn't that what we should do. After reading this book I immediately went back to the beginning and read it again, it was just so full of great information and advice!