Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by NERD PCB for Musical Instruments $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on April 28, 2016
Insightful. I came away with a new, more intimate perspective of Anonymous. I work for a hosting company packed full of very brilliant and slightly off-color individuals so I felt somehow connected to this community. 4Chan is not my cup of tea (hell, I barely reddit), but I couldn't help but laugh when serious chants turned into "long cat is long." Lovely.

Sometimes they made decisions I wouldn't agree with and sometimes they stood for something wonderful and powerful. I think the general population tends to see a stark division between us and them in regards to this collective of "nerds" but they are the equalizer - the average individual that refuses to be made inferior by those with greater means, pedigree, and greed. Today, the most powerful tool for good and evil is the internet and anyone can learn to wield it. This documentary illustrates how that's both a beautiful and a terrible thing.
on May 1, 2013
I'm not a hacktivist--more like a technoklutz--but I recognize the need for accountability in the technology industry and corporate world among so many others. The story was really captivating, and I felt the POV was neutral enough that I didn't feel like I was being given a lopsided view of the hacktivists among us. I've started reading up on the plight of some of these hacktivists and the struggles they face. I am of the opinion there are many sympathizers who are probably quite passive (like me) in the world at large but care about the subject matter when it's presented in such a thought-provoking way.
on March 10, 2017
I knew very little about Anonymous before watching this documentary. I learned about the organization and its history, but I learned more than that. This is truly a revolution, one organized very differently from others.
on December 11, 2016
This documentary movie covers a few of the key events that occurred within the Anonymous movement. It is entertaining and informative. I liked it quite a bit, but some might find its documentary format boring or some of the comments by the people interviewed off putting or offensive. I would have liked a bit more coverage on the operations that have been successful and why they were carried out and what sort of consequences occurred as a result, but this covered about 4 major events and you know what... that was enough to get the point across. Get it if your are curious about Anonymous or Hacktivism.
on January 5, 2013
'We Are Legion' is a fascinating study of modern cyberspace legends. It reminds us of two important concepts - first, that there are real lives and powerful forces behind and beyond the worlds of electronic shopping, social networks, and video games, and second, that public commerce, politics, and discourse have moved significantly away from the streets where historically we could have mounted a soapbox to address our neighbors, or picketed an unfair business if we saw social injustice.

By turning on our computers do we give up the civil right (many would say social responsibility) to object to the wrongs we see in the world? How should we respond when the audience we want to address and the actors to whose actions we want to object have shielded themselves behind the remoteness of cyber-isolation? It's easy to picket a store or business, but how does one draw similar public attention directly to the activities of a presence accessible primarily over the web?

These and more are the issues explored in 'We Are Legion'. It's a fascinating film about an important spectrum of issues.
on September 28, 2015
Disappointed that it's free on YouTube, but I hope that a small part of my rental fee benefited a worthy group. Aside from that, it was very interesting to learn about a subculture that I knew almost nothing about (until now) and am not technologically qualified to join. It will be interesting to see what these folks cook up in the future. Kind of like ambulance services--you don't think about them a lot, but you might need them some day.
on March 10, 2017
Great movie. Empowering.
on February 10, 2014
This is a great documentary on Anonymous. It's very engaging and intriguing. It asks some important questions regarding freedom of information Online and the use of hacking as a form of protest. It highlights the nebulous quality of Anonymous and the wide range of abilities of the hackers involved. The director interviewed Anons (members of Anonymous both past and present); people hacked by Anons; and people studying Anons and hackers in general like Dr. Garbriella Coleman. If you are curious about Anonymous and the role of hacking in creating social change, this is a great place to start.
on April 23, 2017
Awesome!
on September 8, 2013
Not really anything new or groundbreaking, but was definitely worth the time and money to view it. All of the information contained within the film is easily available, but I enjoyed the way it was presented and it provided enough material to result in a debate between my boyfriend and I regarding Anonymous and their ethics in comparison to laws regarding hacking and the information that is obtained through it. Any movie that results in a conversation that requires thought and the defending beliefs, along with dissecting why you hold those beliefs is worth viewing in my opinion.