Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 51 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 73 reviews
on August 26, 2012
I really consider this a three and a half star book, but there isn't an option for that. What I loved: The author links to some fabulous sites that you didn't even know existed -- she must know every place online for jeans, and it's worth going through them until you find the perfect pair. Believe me with all the sites she references, you will get a pair that works for you, I did! I also was crazy about the custom shoe site Milk and Honey that she reccs. You can design your own shoes there, a little pricey, but nowhere near what you'd pay for the equivalent quality in a dept store. I designed my dream shoes, and was thrilled. Her skin care recs are also great (at least the ones I tried) On a final note, she has a chatty, friendly style that is accessible and charming. What didn't work for me" the wears and tosses fall between so obvious no one would go there (un ironed shirts, harem pants) and personal taste. For instance, she recommends a one shouldered gold lame top. Not for me, and that's fine, but it should probably be labelled, I love this top you may not, it is not a universal do. Anyway, worth buying, you'll get some valuable info.
on February 24, 2011
What a great book. I LOVE the visual format, the easy style of the writing, and I am laughing at how often I read a bit and say to myself, "OF COURSE! Why didn't I toss that darned thing a year ago... Never did feel good in it!" The author points out the things you can't put your own finger on -- why something doesn't look quite right. She also tells you how to appropriately pair things, something I struggle with especially when it comes to shoes. There's a great section on what types of outfits various types of shoes/boots will complement, and what NOT to pair them with. All the solutions are uncomplicated, practical, and completely do-able. This book will make a great "girlfriend" gift too. In fact I'm going on a girls' weekend next week and I'm bringing a copy for each of my pals!
on August 1, 2012
My problem is twofold: loading up on clothing and shoe bargains I "HAVE to have", and being 48 with a trendy sense of style. As a result, I have wound up with the proverbial closet stuffed full of clothes (many, never worn) and shoes (also never worn) and never have anything to wear that makes me feel GREAT. Despite being beautiful, Amy Goodman is not only a fashion/closet-decluttering genius, but has had me laughing out loud throughout this book at the sheer ridiculousness of our tendency to hoard clothes and shoes we never wear! I recommend the hard-copy version - well worth the mailing time, since it's loaded with valuable, full-color wear this/toss that example photos. The book is broken up into sections, easy to read and digest, full of great ideas, and in my opinion, the only fashion book you'll ever need. So get the goodwill bags ready - this book will finally get your closet, and wardrobe, in total shape!
on July 30, 2013
What a waste of money. I could have hired gorgeous models and done the same thing. I was looking for help for my not-a-model body. Are we supposed to crawl in a hole or wear a paper bag over our heads? Impossible to imagine the "tips" for other body types. I want to see it. Get real. We are not all 6'1" and weigh 110 lbs. Waste waste waste. Do not buy.
on July 18, 2013
Wow! This book is so definitive and descriptive. Amy covers every aspect of your wardrobe from undies and in-between to outer wear as well as an excellent short synopsis on makeup. Pictures throughout keep you on track and Amy's comments and fashion guidelines were what this above average size gal needed in finding the perfect places to purchase every new article of clothing. As for what I presently had in my closet, well....many pieces went out for donation and others were (you guessed it) tossed! I discovered that I could wear some things I thought I couldn't, and that I was wearing other things I shouldn't - what a difference that made! Now, I'm saving money (Amy tells you where to shop for best buys), time (I'm organized), and looking great. Love this book!
on November 8, 2013
It is a good book for a woman who needs to focus her style and de-clutter her wardrobe. The author understands the woman who feels a little bit overwhelmed or insecure about style. Her tone throughout the book is reassuring without being condescending. The book is packed with pictures and is full of good advice. A great surprise for me was the fact that it gave some great advice on hair, accessories (including the perfect bags for your body type) and beauty products. It's a good buy. The only reason I did not give the book 5 stars is that I did not agree with a few pieces of style advice but those are just a matter of personal taste.
on April 23, 2015
Regretably, I have to agree with the other negative reviews on this page. the author seems to just be listing fashion tips that work for HER. And as you can see from her picture on the cover shes a slim woman that a plain blue ehsath dress with high heels and some modest silver jewlery looks good on. (Proving once and for all pretty much ANYTHING looks good on you if you are thin). If you are over the age of 27 or larger than a size 10 I cant imagine many of the items she recommends working for you. I have bought many of tehse fashion books and so far this is the only one I feel huglely disappointed in. I prefer WHAT NOT TO WEAR and IN STYLE guides
on June 28, 2011
I love this book! The author not only gives great tips on how to dress but she also reveals the basic essential items that every girl should have in her wardrobe. Even better, she includes advice on beauty and hair products too. She actually included interviews from makeup and hair professionals. This saved me a ton of time from trying to read magazines, reviews and blogs about cosmetics, and hair products. She has it all right in her book, organized and easily understandable. She uses a common sense approuch to writing this book, which makes it an easy but exciting read. The full colored pictures enhance the overall appearance too. I absolutely think this is best book on fashion period! Speaking of fashion, the author also has done her homework and offered clothing suggestions based on design concepts that are timeless and very classy. She does not offer advice based on the latest fads that may have already changed by the time you receive the book anway. She realizes that women of all ages are sized and contoured differently.

To my dismay, I had put on about 20 pounds, and doing a terrible job at trying to hide the extra baggage by wearing my hubby's Ts over a pair of cotton capris (all black of course). I just felt this was a temporary problem so I refused to buy bigger clothes. However, after running into a patient in a home and garden center whom said "Oh my, you look awful, you should be ashamed of yourself looking this way in public" (we were buying plants and garden soil). Needless to say, I was humiliated and I told my husband I feel like I had let him down with the way I was presenting myself as his wife so I ordered the book that night! I felt I needed the book to help give me an edge on how to dress with styles that flattered my new fuller figure. It has helped me get out of a rut.Even though, I am working on toning back up and slimming down, the book will still have lots to offer me. Like I said before, the author recommends styles for all shapes and sizes. Thank you for this wonderful book!
on February 15, 2014
Overall concept may be good IF you are young and have a decent figure. Too bad there isn't an experienced view of many body, style, age and taste issues addressed. Not very helpful at all.
on July 23, 2014
If you happen to be younger than 40 and smaller than a size 12, you may get some good advice in this book. For mature, fuller figure gals, don't bother. All style and shopping references/suggestions are for the young woman.