Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 131 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 287 reviews
on February 10, 2016
This was my second book by Clive Barker after his "Books of Blood." I have always found his works to be vast in scope. Only "Imajica" rivals it in its successful attempt at describing a whole new world of magic and monsters. He frequently hints at or mentions aspects of the mysterious worlds he creates without fully fleshing them out. Leaving tantalizing threads for the reader's imagination to explore is one of his greatest gifts to readers. Is it not always the fantasy unfulfilled which remains richest in our daydreams and nightmares?
on October 28, 2016
I enjoyed this book thouroghly. I read the synopsis, thinking it sounded a bit juvenile and whimsical, which I would not expect from Clive Barker. I gave it shot because fans of the author seemed to enjoy. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised by many feelings and emotions this novel stirred inside of me. An epic of grand purportions. Feels, very much, like Clive Barker writing a Neil Gaiman story.
on March 1, 2013
I was 14 years old when I first read this book. It was another one of those books to which I fled during the war in Bosnia. I remember that I enjoyed the incredible landscapes of the woven world; magical characters, bizarre creatures, dark secrets and everything that has always attracted me. Today again, I open the pages of the new edition of adventure that will surely appeal to followers of the incredible work, and Worlds of Clive Barker. Today, when I live in a new world, where the sun shines, where there is no sniper fire and grenades, I'm gladly escaping again, into the magic carpet, to meet all of these wonderful creatures again. So, here goes the 5 star rating, because this book is simply so magical and dark.
on February 14, 2013
I first picked up this book when I was 15, a dozen reads and 25 years later it's still the strongest work of it's kind I've ever come across. Clive Barker did not merely write "Weaveworld" so much as he composed it, and it stands in many respects an epic poem stylistically and structurally the equal to Homer or Shakespeare.

In the most basic of terms Weaveworld follows Cal Mooney, a London banker living with his ailing father who one day, while chasing an escaped bird, "falls" into a carpet, a carpet it seems that contains a world. Though he dismisses it as illusion, he can't shake it and becomes obsessed with finding it. He's not alone, of course, a young woman, Susanna the granddaughter of the carpet's owner also becomes entwined in the search. All the while they are pursued by a ruthless salesman with a magic coat that can produce your greatest desire from it's lining and enslave you in the taking. The salesman, Shadwell wants to sell the carpet to the highest bidder, while his companion, an magic creature in her own rite wants to control those within it, or kill them all.

The lore of the story is that all magical beings, to escape the scourge of men, devised a vast loom where the brought themselves and possessions to be woven into the carpet for safe keeping until a place outside the world of men (or safely among them) could be found. Nearly a century later, they are nearly forgotten, but no the power the hold, or that binds them now.

What follows is an epic struggle to possess and save the carpet and it's inhabitants including the inevitable unraveling, a showdown with a millennium old force, a fantastical exploration of a world inside a world.

This 25th anniversary text is bound on heavy paper with stunning illustrations, the sort of experience every book lover longs for, an great, epic tome of never ending mysteries and adventures, horrors and loves, sex and violence, the magical and the firmly rooted. Weaveworld is a must read, though be warned it's graphic and not for the feint of heart. Part of Barker's style is that he holds nothing back, it's graphic, poetic, brilliant and impossible to put down.
on July 11, 2017
What I love about Barker books is that you can truly forget the real world while reading. You might need a dictionary for all the new words he puts out there, but that just adds to the story. While Weaveworld isn't my favorite, it's a must read. True imagination at work. Now I feel the need to re-read Imajica again.
on April 4, 2017
A famous fantasy classic. Not much more to say. Written by the Clive Barker of Hell-raiser fame.
I do recommend the book, though; it is a great read.
There are scenes of violence, but it is not gratuitous; it is very much part of the story.
You'll really hate the bad guys.
on April 4, 2017
This was the very first Clive Barker I was introduced to back in my 20s. I have been a hard core fan every since. He makes everyone else seem juvenile.
on February 18, 2017
I love Clive Barker's writing and Weaveworld hasn't let me down. It's an incredible fantasy world with a large array of fully developed characters. I'm still not done and will be super disappointed when then one comes to an end. Hope, darkness, retribution, forgiveness, love, terror, tragedy, beauty -- it's all in here.
on March 20, 2017
This is a GREAT book by Clive Barker. This actuallywas the first C Barker book I have read and it is the best book Ive read since 2016 . I will deinetly be buying more of this authors other books!
on February 28, 2017
A finely woven carpet using threads of love and loss, memory and imagination, fantasy and reality, in a fast moving adventure for the ages!