Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Weeknight Fresh & Fast (Williams-Sonoma): Simple, Healthy Meals for Every Night of the Week Hardcover – March 1, 2011
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
From the Author
From the Back Cover
* Ideas for rounding out the meal with quick sides and fruit-based desserts
* Tips offer time-saving strategies, ideas for using leftovers, and more
Top Customer Reviews
When I review a cookbook, one can always tell how much it appealed to me by the posts-it tags I use to mark the recipes I want to try and my copy is now full of tags. I made the Chicken With Sugar Snaps and Asparagus and really enjoyed it, and look forward to trying Penne With Mushrooms and Turkey Sausage, and Black Bean Tacos With Avocado Salsa, to name just a few.
This cookbook is organized by season to take advantage of what is freshest at the market, and includes recipes for vegetarian dishes, fish and seafood, chicken, beef, and other meats. There are soups, casseroles, salads, and meat with vegetable dishes. Things like breads, side dishes, and desserts are not included; just recipes for everyday supper type entrees and I like that focus. For me personally this isn't a negative, but some of the recipes do require more preparation and cooking time than what the title would indicate. In other words, these aren't the 30-minute from start to finish type recipes some cookbooks promise, but the ingredients are simple and with some planning and preparing ahead, I think most of the recipes are doable for a busy cook.
This is a cookbook I can happily recommend to anyone who wants some new everyday recipes that use fresh and healthy ingredients.
I received a copy of this book for review from the publisher but the opinion of it is my own and was not solicited, nor was a positive review required.
1. The recipes are, as the title suggests, relatively quick. They take anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour, but you end up with pretty gourmet stuff at the end. And they're easy, too, which brings me to...
2. This is a great cookbook for someone of just about any level. I'm a competent cook, but I'm not great, and I can make these recipes without messing them up. Plus, the recipes are pretty adaptable, so someone of a higher skill level can use them as a base and add their own flair. For example, I don't have an herb garden, and I don't use herbs very often, so I will cut them out of the recipes sometime. Even though they are important, the food still turns out great without them. (Though when I do manage to include them, of course it tastes much better.) Often the author gives suggestions about how to adapt the recipes, which novice or advanced cooks can use as they wish, which brings me to...
3. The author includes lots of suggestions for what to serve each entree with, what to do with leftovers, how to make it vegetarian, substitutions. This is really helpful for me, since I cook only for myself; leftovers are key, and I can really make a nice healthy meal with her suggestions, which brings me to...
4. These recipes are healthy and they taste good! I am still not sure I believe it. Lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, but cooked in ways that are delicious. Plus the herbs and spices she suggests means I don't need to add a lot of salt or cheese (my favorite food) for flavor. Often I've eaten a meal from this book, and it hasn't been until I really thought about the recipe that I realized, "Wait that was really healthy!Read more ›
I don't know whether I just didn't do enough research but what I expected was:
- quick, fun recipes
- basic ingredients
- not too expensive.
Most recipes are fairly quick, though definetly not "15 minute meal" quick. Most take at about half an hour or are the type of recipe where you put something in the oven for an hour and just have your hands free whilst it's cooking.
What bothered me most though is the ingredients used. Most of them are what i would call "fancy". I don't expect every recipe to be brocolli or bell peppers, but this isn't a cookbook you pull out to see what you can do in a hurry with the random leftover ingredients in your fridge. You have to shop specifically for the ingredients in this book (most of them anyway) and they aren't always easy to find and quite a few of them aren't cheap at all. Also the recipes with these fancy ingredients weren't imho very innovative. But perhaps i just already own a few too many cookbooks and am a bit too hard to impress.
Also the lack of nutritional information bothers me since this cookbook advertises itself as "healthy". Although that doesn't necessarily means low calorie i do feel alot people who aim for "healthy" cooking might also be interested in the nutritional stuff... At least i know i am.
All in all i won't say i won't get a single good recipe for this book, but given the glowing reviews i'm definetly a bit dissapointed in what i ended up getting. But like i said before, that might be my own fault. Clearly my own expectations did not match the contents of this book.
the pictures are fabulous though.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Beautifully designed book. Though, I would not consider the majority of the recipes as "everyday", "easy", or "cheap". Read morePublished 1 day ago by Lik
Ok but no very original recipes... Would have returned if I was not living overseasPublished 9 days ago by fabi
Organized by season so if you prefer to cook in season this is a great resource. It has two pages at the beginning of each chapter with seasonal recommendations and tips too so you... Read morePublished 1 month ago by Liz
Fantastic recipes! I am super picky about cookbooks. I have 10 great ones, some 30 years old that are high quality recipes. This book is a keeper! You will not be disappointed!Published 2 months ago by Mardie Reed
Absolutely amazing and delicious recipes. I purchased 4 or 5 new cookbooks and this one has been the biggest hit.Published 3 months ago by jeffrey
Trying to eat healthy but miss great taste? This book will give you everything you need to satisfy your taste and stay healthy.Published 3 months ago by VIOLET
I love this cookbook. Just received it today. Speedy delivery. The book hardbound has complete easy to follow recipes accompanied with beautiful photos.Published 4 months ago by Reese