Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 7 Weeks to 100 Push-Ups: Strengthen and Sculpt Your Arms, Abs, Chest, Back and Glutes by Training to do 100 Consecutive Push-Ups
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Showing 1-10 of 52 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on August 4, 2009
I recommend this book to ANYONE who wants to get in the best shape of their lives. The book is so fundamentally sound that it puts any other bodyweight workout book to shame. The plan is brilliant: Take a "test" to see how many pushups you can do with proper form and then use that number to find the PERFECT workout to get you to 100! The workouts are very well balanced and don't feel like a chore to do.
I read the book and took the challenge seriously and was able to crank out 100 consecutive pushups just when the book said I should! On my 48th day of the program I was able to do 101 pushups and was so pleased to nail my goal.
I still follow the program even AFTER completing the "magic number" because pushups are such a great exercise for your core, arms & chest! There are so many variations that you can learn to keep your workouts interesting & fun.
Challenge yourself & get this book!
33 comments| 127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 24, 2009
I first came to know of the author, Steve Speirs, independent of his book, and the first thing that should be said above all else, is that Steve has dedicated his life to helping others enjoy the fitness and health that he himself enjoys.

I myself and a swimmer/cyclist/runner/triathlete/singer/website creator/podcast host, and in keeping up with these activities on top of living as normal a life as possible, I am quite often hard pressed for the time I need to do smaller, stabilizing workouts. I should also say that, having somewhat of a background in lifting, and thus having quite a bit of muscle mass, in order to make myself a better endurance athlete, I needed to abandon weight training and become more lean while still maintaining the strength necessary for the myriad event in which I participate.

When I first began using "7 Weeks.." I forgot for a while that I was supposed to put down the book and put into practice the techniques within. The book is such an easy and informative read, I felt like I was gleaning just as much knowledge simply from reading about the advantages and different methods of "push-up-ology" (my word, I don't want to put such language on the author!) that I was getting a workout sitting and reading! Of course, that not being the case, I had to try the program for myself.

I began in one of the "advanced" programs set forth by the book, which was based on how many push-ups I could do prior to beginning the program (I believe I did 50 before crapping out). Without going into the minutiae of my personal journey (after all you need to read the book to see for yourself), let me say that the hardest part of obtaining the goal of reaching 100 push-ups in 7 weeks was stopping at the numbers given by the book! It was so incredibly simple to understand and follow that I truly believe that even some who claims to have no upper body strength would be able to complete the programs (from beginner to advanced) with no problem at all.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention one of my favorite parts of the book; the little snippets of push-up trivia, scattered throughout the pages. They give you a sense of not only how long push-ups have been around, but how they have had a positive impact for so long.

I cannot recommend this book enough. I think that any person, young or old, male or female would have a great time reading and using the programs in "7 Weeks to 100 Push-ups" and would have a healthier, happier and better toned life for it.
11 comment| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 19, 2009
This short book is all about one thing and it makes no illusions about what that one thing is...so if you have no interest in integrating pushups into your workout plan, then this isn't the book for you.

If you _are_ looking for an easy and cheap to implement training plan to build up some strength, then the plans contained in this book are great. Suitable for beginners just getting into strength training or for experienced lifters that just want to try something different, this book contains a schedule for you.

I've been following one of the schedules for a few weeks now after about a year off from any non-running workouts and I'm already starting to feel the benefits of reintegrating strength training into my weekly life.
on January 15, 2010
My husband and I have only just started on this program, but already we are seeing a difference. What I like about it that it is very simple and straight forward: The exercises are well explained, it includes a proper warm-up and streching element to avoid injuries. I also like that it has a program for those that cannot do a single, proper push-up. For those, like me, there is a 4-week program before starting the 7 weeks to reach 100, which also works very well.
For those, that are already at 50+ push-ups, it includes good information on how to advance to 100+, as well as variations on the conventional form to target different muscle areas.
I also like the 'fun facts' of record achievements to illustrate how far you can go with the simple push-up. And, last but not least, it gives guidelines on maintaining the achieved level of fittness, after the 7 weeks are over.
As a fitness enthusiast and someone who spends a lot of time lifting weights and getting and staying in shape, I found this book well-written and the program easy for anyone to work into their lives. Push-ups are the perfect exercise. They work all your muscles. They are a compound exercise, which is the best kind. Moreover, you get one great cardio workout. Push-ups are tough. But if you work with this program, you'll work up to 100 plus push-ups and have lots of fun while you're at it.

Everything you need to do push-ups is in this book. You'll also discover how many a person your age should do to be in great shape and you'll learn the shape you're in now. (That might be a bit depressing.)

The author tells us on page 20, "Push-ups are functional, multi-joint, multi-muscle movements that mimic the actions and movements we perform on an everyday basis." I find this the very best form of exercise because it gives us a better quality of life while giving us lovely muscle. We also get useful muscle and a body that performs everyday tasks for us easily.

As the author tells us, "Push-ups don't have to be a chore and, in all honesty, they can be a lot of fun while also providing tremendous benefits. For this reason, the humble push-up is the most basic exercise used in civilian athletic training or physical education and, especially, in military physical training. Push-ups not only develop the upper body and the midsection as a whole, they also provide an effective cardio workout."

Now, I ask you, what more can you ask of an exercise that only requires one thing --- you?

- Susanna K. Hutcheson
on January 19, 2010
I am doing the intermediate 2 program and I am on my seventh week and I must say this book has really made a world of a difference for me. I use this book not only for push-ups but I also use the work out routines in the book for sit-ups and pull ups, and it works well. I can see the transformation over the last seven weeks taking a toll on my body. My upper body is getting huge, and when I do push-ups my form has improved significantly too. I asked my girlfriend to do the program with me and when she started she could only do three push-ups total, but now seven weeks later she is doing thirty on her last set! She commented to me how she has lost as she puts it her "bus driver arms" I don't even feel the need to go into the gym anymore because I get a full body workout following the book. I have even convinced my parents to get into the act because they have seen the results. I cannot say enough about this book.
on November 1, 2009
The push up has been much maligned in the fitness community of late ...yet it is an element of most fitness programmes.Here the author lays out a simple to follow plan that just requires some dedication .
I am 45 and in good shape and so I used this book to help me work towards 100 hindu push ups.The point is you can adapt the workouts towards any similar goal.To much of the internet is taken up by people pushing their fitness ideas to the masses.Whilst some are very good,many are not.
If you purchase this book and follow the programmes and maybe cycle or run on the non push up days then you would be in very good shape indeed..and you do not need a Phd to read this book.
Honest,clear and to the point.
on June 22, 2009
Steve Speirs did an EXCELLENT job in compiling a systematic, progressive bodyweight training program. I decided to buy this book after browsing through his following 3 websites:

[...]
I've read the book through the very first evening after I've received it. I always wanted to do a hundred pushups, but I never knew HOW to reach that magical figure. In this book, Steve Speirs shows you exactly how. Step-by-step (or should I say push-up by push-up!). All I can say is: Check out his 3 websites and if you like what you see ... buy this book!
44 comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2010
I started the program using the hundredpushups website and then midway through the program I bought the book. I wish I had bought the book first. There are way more workout plans for beginners in the book and good info on how to do proper pushups.

The book is a little light on details during the program but I also bought it for all of the post-100 maintenance content.

I highly recommend this book to anyone attempting this program (especially beginners).
on May 23, 2011
Summary

I am 52 years old, started the program 7 weeks and 2 days ago. In the beginning test, I was able to do 20. Today I did 100 pushups. Program is not fancy but tailored to your ability at first and, bottom line, it worked.

The book is fairly basic but has you start out seeing how many push ups you can do. I did 20. Based on that it had a program that started me out at the right level.

The program reminds me of a saying from Jim Rohn, author and success coach, who said, "If you can only do 20 push ups, and you do 20, can you do more?" The answer is yes, if you wait a little bit. The program has you do a certain number of push ups, wait a minute and do a certain number more. It is set up in a proven, tested, progression that takes you to the limit every week and then builds.

Many times a session was tough to complete, but I never missed and pushed hard. After I completed the 7 week program, I waited 2 days for my test. Thought I was not going to make it when I hit 90, but persevered and completed all 100 and then basically collapsed (in a good way). But I did it and I believe most can if they follow this program.

On the downside, if you are looking for a highly technical book that goes into detail about muscle groups, how they work, etc. probably not a book for you. This is written for the average person with an easy to follow program.

I recommend this book, easy to read and understand. Hope this helps you.