Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 31, 2011
Get ripped in 7 weeks. The aim is to get lean and mean, like the person on the cover of this book.

To start this program, you must already have a solid foundation of strength.

Pass the "Power 4" test listed below and you can go.

1. Pull up: 6 or over
2. Squat: 10 or over
3. Push up: 15 or over
4. Plank: hold for 30 seconds or over

Did you pass all 4 tests? Are you ready for the exercises? But first, please note that a pull up bar and a medicine ball are required for the program.

Here are most of exercises. In general, the exercises are based on using your body weight.

Push up
Diamond push up
Wide push up
Medicine ball push up
T push up

Pull up with grip variations
Commando pull up

Burpee
Inchworm
Wood chop
J-up

Tabata intervals with various exercises

Here's a basic and very minimal outline of the 7 week program. It is divided into two levels. Work out 3 days a week, with a rest day between each exercise day.

Level 1

Week 4
Week 5
Week 6
Week 7

If you can not pass the pull up test, and thus, need to build up before you can do the program, there is a 3 week prep program to establish your foundation. Personally, I have to work on my pull ups, but I'm fine on the other components, including a decent improvement on push ups.

The prep program includes these easier exercises.

Knee push up
Wall push up
Assisted pull up
Australian pull up
Half squat

The book is easy to study and understand and moves quickly. I understood the workout plans and exercises quickly. All photos, with the author and one lady demonstrating the movements, are in black and white. The book also covers a few other things, including a very short nutrition chapter, a little bit on the author's history and motivation, warm up, maintenance and some fitness games to keep it interesting.
1111 comments| 164 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 19, 2012
Intensity is the name of the game for this one. As a moderate fitness guy. I found the beginning workouts too easy and the last workouts challenging. What I loved about this workout is it hits all the necessary groups (back/pullups, chest/pushups, legs/squats, core/abs) for a military person to stay in shape, and it does it fast. You go hard for fifteen minutes then your done.

If you need to up your level of pull-ups or pushup this is a good routine. I would suggest shorter breaks and try and do as many rotations within the 15 minutes as you can. You will notice the difference in a week or two in your strength and the numbers you can do.
on September 11, 2015
C'mon man. 7 Weeks? Yes if you were getting paid to be in movie and had a personal trainer every day, 4 hours a day, then yeah! And if you monitored every ounce of food you ingested they you could get ripped in 7 weeks.
This book offers no secrets or special exercises but it does contain lots of body weight exercises and I am a proponent of body weight exercises.
on August 11, 2012
For some of the core exercise movements alone this book might be well worth the price of admission and for beginners or those not used to exercising in this manner it is great.
I am not quite following his plan as I use his workouts as my sessions on the days I am not lifting free weights and I exercise six to seven days per week however, using his plan as a variation and change of pace is fun and I can see and feel the differnce.
I had been looking for a book of non weight exercises. This has that however, it is a bit limited in that regard.
That having been said I would recommend this for those looking for the same.
on September 24, 2014
This book is not all that helpful. The topic is too broad, and the information is too light and not specific enough to really be helpful in my opinion. I hold other of the author's books in much higher regard than this one.
on March 6, 2013
If you are ready to start working out after a long time of rest, or even if you've never worked out before, this book will definitely get you there. This is NOT only a book full of exercises, it actually has all the detailed programs to help you accomplish any goals you have. I wish I found this book earlier, its easy to understand and what's most important it really gets you ripped in 7 weeks.
on July 24, 2017
Grandson loved this book!
on January 17, 2013
Not the best book I've seen, but definitely worth the money. I like his gym-free approach (as the title states). I'm on week three and each workout pushes me in some way. I'd say it's a good buy for an easy to moderate workout. After I finish this book I'm moving on to another, more challenging book but this will help get me to that point.
on January 19, 2017
I bought this book to change up my workouts. I was most impressed because it did not involve actual weights.
on May 4, 2013
Have not started yet, but I passes the test and now this will help me transform over the summer. Yeah boy.