Your Garage Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animestrike animestrike animestrike  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 25 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 159 reviews
on September 27, 2015
Still one of my favorite books. Do yourself a favor and instead buy Dangerous Angels, which has five of the Weetzie Bat books in it (including the first, Weetzie Bat). I don't mind supporting the author and buying both but if you have a limited budget, get the Dangerous Angels book instead.

This is a sweet little story of what I can only call a punk-rock-hippy girl finding love and family in Hollywood/Los Angeles, California. Francesca Lia Block's immersive storytelling and unique descriptive narrative drew me in even though I am not a fan of punk rock, hippies, or storybook romance. There is something compelling in this simple and relatively short book. The definition of whimsical, there are touches of fantasy amid liberal splashes of glitter, feathers, flowers, and vivid colors.

It only takes a few hours to read at a decent speed. Definitely give it a try.
on March 13, 2017
Love this book and fast delivery!!!
on January 16, 2017
This is a book I had to buy for college - I don't own it anymore, which says that I didn't enjoy it enough to keep it. I do remember liking the story - although I thought that they were actually fairies, making the story a bit confusing...I read a lot of fantasy.
I wanted to love this book, I can't say that I did, though I did like it. It was an odd mix of fantasy and reality, which is why I should have loved it, however I think in this case this story would have been better served picking - real life or a fairy tale fantasy and sticking with one or the other. The blending of the two worlds didn't really work for me. I felt as though things like witches and genies were in the story just to justify the quirkiness of the characters or to make some the storylines just fall into place without having to work them out the way they'd really have to occur for real people.

That said, I did love the characters and the realness of them. Take away the fantasy aspect and I'd probably have loved it, and I do actually love fantasy, it just seemed out of place here. And oddly enough, that aspect only show up in the story here and there but what it adds to the story is so huge, I can't give it a higher rating. I do think at some point I will read the rest of the series though. I did like it at least that much. It deals with birth and death and everything in between in such an honest way that I can't help but wonder what else that author has to say about these characters.

On Amazon it's listed in children's book categories with a reading level of Young Adult. I'm an adult but I have no doubt that my own mom would not have objected to me reading this book when I was young, however this book includes a homosexual couple that are completely accepted by everyone in the book, a threesome (no details), cheating, drinking (it's not really clear if it's by minors or once they're of age), mentions drugs, etc. I can see why some parents would object to the content in this book even if I wouldn't, so if buying this for a child, keep that in mind.
on May 23, 2015
Beautiful and perfectly written. Describes the bubble gum patina of youthful innocence flawlessly, including those dark things that break through the surface as inevitably happens in real life. This book is my teenage dream.
on July 10, 2014
I read this in one sitting, like an hour train ride. I hated the annoying names and the story. I have no interest in reading any other books in this series.
I orginally ordered this book as a possible option for a teen "banned book" club. As such , I had really high hopes for it. I wanted to like the book. I just couldn't.

Let me preface this by saying that I have no objection to the topics n the book. In fact, for a discussion group, it brings up many possible discussion topics for teens, and that is not a bad thing. I just couldn't stand the book. The main character is very privileged and spends the entire book doing whatever she wants regardless of how that may affect others, and she has the financial means to do this. She doesn't struggle. She doesn't overcome obstacles. She wants something and she gets it. Whch, in itself, could be a great discussion point. However, the writing feels very spastic and disjointed. It was a very quick read but it defnitely wasn't enjoyable or thought provoking. I kept turning pages in the hopes that it would get better. It didn't.
on December 27, 2014
Short, interesting, easy read! I've never read anything like this book before. Recommended for anyone looking for something completely out of the ordinary.
on December 22, 2016
This book was just odd and then tried to have a meaningful, but too on the nose, message at the end
on May 27, 2016
The clip at which this book reads is breakneck. Short, sharp, beautifully painted. I love it.