YED MagazinestoInspire Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 STEM Valentines Day STEM Book House Cleaning nerdculture nerdculture nerdculture  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Beat the Cold with Outdoor Clothing on Amazon NYNN

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 3, 2005 10:38:24 AM PST
Be the first to start a new discussion in this forum. Share questions, insights, and views about your favorite books and authors. Read what others are saying about popular books. Join in the fun!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2005 11:29:02 AM PST
My name is Michael Gross and I'm the author of 740 Park and have been following the clash of customer reviews with considerable interest. I invite some of the anonymous critics to actually engage with me here and I'd also be delighted to hear from anyone who's read the book or might be interested in it. I'll try to answer any questions, too. Fire away!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2005 7:15:19 AM PST
Michael,

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2005 7:28:51 AM PST
Yes, Richard?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2005 4:22:13 PM PST
Anne, NYC says:
I am mid-book right now and I love it!
a) why the lack of photos? I have to say I was google-imaging every name, just to see what they look like:
b) are some of the snarky reviewers also subjects or relatives of subjects? I have a hunch a couple are motivated by personal "issues"

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2006 4:32:32 AM PST
Hi. I haven't read the book yet, but it looks fascinating. As a former New Yorker, I've wondered about 740 Park ever since I learned about it in one of the many Jackie O biographies I've read. I wonder could the "Georgette" who reviewed this book and claims she met her husband at a party in the building possibly be Georgette Mosbacher? If so, Georgette, you should write your own book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2006 6:03:12 AM PST
Thanks Anne. If you visit my web site at www.mgross.com you will find interior photos, floor plans, an interactive "cast of characters" with many photos, including some real shockers, and even a copy of the original schedule C from 1929. Why no photos? The book is very long and was never intended as a coffee table book, and I always planned the web site. Also, to be frank, photos are very expensive--and an author must pay for them! Re the snarky reviews, I have my suspicions that you are right, but speculating on the motives of others strikes me as a waste of time. The thing that pleases me is how many positive reviews have that "real name" logo under them! I wish the snark-meisters had the courage of their convictions. But regardless, it's kind of fun to see that the book has provoked such strong reactions. Makes me think I did at least some things right.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2006 6:05:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2006 8:08:33 AM PST
I don't know who the Georgette who posted that message is (it's on barnesandnoble.com--not here) but the great Georgette Mosbacher, who hosted my book party back in October, has written two books and both are available on amazon!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2007 10:29:50 AM PDT
Michael, thanks for mentioning your website. The photos, floor plans, etc. are of definate interest. Amazon.com recommended this book for me based on some purchases I've made, and it looks like a great read!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Nov 3, 2005
Latest post:  Sep 1, 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

This discussion is about
740 Park: The Story of the World's Richest Apartment Building
740 Park: The Story of the World's Richest Apartment Building by Michael Gross (Hardcover - October 18, 2005)
3.8 out of 5 stars (169)