Industrial Deals Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now
Customer Discussions > SimCity: Limited Edition forum

Welcome Back Maxis & SimCity! (Reboot)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 251-275 of 361 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 14, 2013, 12:00:02 PM PST
Grieger says:
@Kirk Well, with the pre-order bonus we're going to get, I just need to plant that Dr Vu's HQ in my city and you'd need to plant (or "plop" as the case may be) the MaxisMan HQ...I wonder if they'll interact across cities somehow...

@TheFrey I suspect they don't even know, to be honest. :( Complaints falling on deaf ears as the case may be...

Posted on Feb 15, 2013, 4:17:59 PM PST
Kirk Travel says:
@Grieger: I'm getting my Internet from Comcast this Saturday 10 am I will let you know how that goes. Let's hope I dont get ripped off. >:[

Short story I moved and have had crappy net. Now I'm getting Comcast cause AT&T is in the building but there is Vonage on the same line for that eating all the bandwidth like nuts. SO I'm getting my own line.

Also! :D That would be a cool idea to test this weekend in the beta if they have it, have you gotten in yet? Cause I can get on and test region play with you tomorrow if that's when it is. oh wait it is:

http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/simcity-closed-beta-2-faq

:/ apparently you can get into the beta using a Origin PreOrder.... huh?

Also read this blog article on Sups vs Vills:
http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/the-heroes-and-villains-of-simcity

Posted on Feb 15, 2013, 9:24:43 PM PST
Grieger says:
We don't have Comcast here (Los Angeles) but I get the bandwidth issue. As long as it's not Time Warner you'll probably be okay. :)

This weekend I'm definitely going to screw around a bit more. It's too bad they aren't enabling regions for this test. But, I want to see what you can get away with without regions. Problem is I don't think I can do much without balancing the different zones. It seems like the only way to make it work (and this was partially true in SC4 if I recall right) is to keep switching between cities. Build more residential in this city, then switch to the other city and build more industrial then switch to the other one to build more commercial.

I guess we'll see what that world marketplace does to the whole thing. Cities XL allows you to use that market to balance out a missing resource or two. So, as long as you can generate enough revenue from taxes and other measures, you can pay for the world market's power for instance and ditch your local power to make room for more industrial or something.

I'm still concerned about map size too. The beta map size is just small, regardless of what they say. I can fill it in no time.

As far as the second beta, I don't know. I haven't received anything about a separate code (they said you needed one). But, I'm thinking the new code is only needed if you haven't preordered and just picked up a code from wherever. I think we won't find out for sure until 6am tomorrow...which means I'll be glad to just install it and try later since I have a feeling we're going to see the same problems with queuing and the like this time around...the same thing I'm expecting to see at launch as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013, 12:12:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2013, 12:14:14 AM PST
Kirk Travel says:
@Grieger:

Time Warner or Road Runner DSL... I know of it. Heard some pretty nasty stuff about it.
but here is their Wikipedia link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Warner_Cable

Now compare it to this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comcast

Which is owned by Cox Cable:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cox_Cable

and I'm not too thrilled, I'll get AT&T U-verse sometime soon after 6 months though.

See why:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvVp7b5gzqU

and that is a true story the guy was there for HOURS and then just decides to do well, his own thing. Another instance was that a Comcast Tech Employee ate out of a fridge of a customer and slept on the coach, there was alot of food missing apparently most of it being the beer and milk. lol, just dumb if you ask me.

Yeah, I think they need to test regions, but they say that they are doing a full stress test over the whole single day. The mode of thought must be to invite as many as possible to see what will happen for the server's stress loads during high volume traffic and heavy loads.

Posted on Feb 17, 2013, 2:35:31 AM PST
Grieger says:
Actually, this beta they let you try out a region (you can go the Region and pick the city next to the beta one). It seems (though I suspect this was the problem with SC4's regions as well in a way) you can't really set up an industrial-only city for instance, from the get-go. You'd have to balance RCI at first to get things started then gradually introduce whatever zone you want.

Still, there are resources you can pull to fulfill needs locally and in the region like ore or garbage.

But, in the end, the maps are really too small. It feels so limiting...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013, 9:31:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 17, 2013, 4:59:52 PM PST
Kirk Travel says:
@Grieger:
It seems that I have lucked out and survived what could have been "A Horrible Night for a Curse". The tech was friendly enough and he had got me set up and running without an issue. The plus is he plays video games in his in his spare time. So I gave him my Gamer-Tag on the 360. I now have 50MB Down and 17MB Up. Which is a huge improvement over the 1Down/1Up MB I was getting before and it pays to have my own line. The only thing is now I hope to god almighty that I dont hit an issue that requires fixing unless that same tech comes back somehow.

As for SimCity, I played multiple times the other day and rather enjoyed my experience I only had a small issue with the mouse's scroll wheel sensitivity. The map size is not something that bothers me because I always try to fill the entire map anyway. So it just got abit easier to do that now. Although the only partial downside is now you have to plan and watch what you place down and where. I think it just makes it more challenging and less daunting but it can still be a bit chaotic if you let it do so. I digress though its not that big of a deal as you just need to watch the growth a bit more. The RCI does need balance as I suspected but when that is done the city can lean another way almost entirely. I built a few Industrial city's, a few gambling ones, and a balanced city. It was all pretty fun :]

edit:
(I just referenced Castlevainia II Simon's Quest there)

Posted on Feb 17, 2013, 2:19:41 PM PST
Grieger says:
Nice, big bandwidth is something I can't get enough of. I've got FiOS and it's great to see 1GB updates download in minutes. Seems a necessity these days with gaming...

I only got to play an hour...unfortunately work trumped gaming yesterday (and likely will somewhat today too). My problem is when I see that sort of thing with the RCI balance being required first before you can slant a city, it switches from a sim to a strategy game. A + B = C sort of simplicity. Sure you can get there different ways but in the end, it's the same thing...lay down RCI in the require proportions and just watch your budget. The whole idea is to have some sort of challenge brought on by the fact that you're given a simulation sandbox of sorts. It's like one of my favorite sims: Capitalism 2. It wasn't the most beautiful game but you were given one or more cities and $X millions to start with. Do whatever. If you wanted to corner the market on resources and make your money that way you could (I used to corner the market on a specific resource required for electronics, keeping the higher quality stuff for myself and selling the lower quality stuff to the AI competitors). If you wanted to buy real estate and maybe run a retail empire, you could. If you wanted to just focus on manufacturing electronics, you could. You could even just play the stock market (though that was both boring and crazy speculative).

And, I know, all the SimCity games before this were the same in a way...you had to start off building balanced RCI then you could at a later point start slanting one way or another based on how you grew your zones (i.e. you could go green and focus on electronics--high wealth industrial--and could do high density, high wealth residential). But more importantly, the idea with SC4 was you could create unbalanced cities that favored one thing or another. And, yes, you probably could do it faster if you just ran it balanced up to a point then migrated over to a particular slant but you could connect those cities up and go nuts. And because the city maps were big enough, you had the room to build around the original RCI zones.

Anyway, I guess we'll see. In a way, the more I play the game and watch the various videos and read the blog entries, the more I think the game is going to be a short term thing. It'll be fun for a bit but then it'll get boring fast.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013, 4:43:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 17, 2013, 5:07:24 PM PST
Kirk Travel says:
@Grieger:
At this point I feel like "shut-up and give me my product EA." It's nice to have had the Beta, but they need to focus on polishing network issues and the mouse wheel thing. There are other issues I have heard of and most of those seemed to be fixed, the rest is balance and preferences by others.

The Devs are actually active on their forums which is interesting, I like the approach but I haven't the time to ask them in a thread manner. I played SC4 and the only thing I can say is that it didn't draw me as much as say 2000 and even 3000 did. The whole "cities are connected" idea is what makes this game so great and alone your probably right that you might get board with it but I'm not as I will likely play it off and on like every SC for me, just that this one will gain a little more attention for being so well put together since 2000 in design. I play the weekends normally from Sat-Monday w/ Tuesday by requests. March 4th at 12mid Eastern (launch night) is gonna be great cause this game did something that no other SC has, it found me some really cool maxis fans ie you, Charles, Drew, E. Pascal, and Heather even if Heather did not join us she was still cool. For me that is a hard thing to do, especially before as the more you go back with SC. I'm just happy to have a group to play this SC with, which it's about.

PC titles don't usually have a launch night either unless its a big title like D3 or Guild Wars. I can't say I have been to a Game-Stop or any retail brick and mortar store for PC games, as I usually get them online anyways. I understand though if at some-point your like I'm done with this SC game but I don't know what else you got and I do know I have a HUGE library. lol, needless to say I'm sure after the wake of this memorable SC game and experience we'll be still playing other great games together. After all I'd hate to lose a friend like you that I met on PC and is this dam cool. :D

Edit:
Your lucky to have FiOS, I'd have it if I could. They are cheaper than Comcast is with better Internet Packages fursure.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013, 10:01:54 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 20, 2013, 10:06:49 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 20, 2013, 10:56:22 PM PST
Kirk Travel says:
@Dustin Banbury:

"Deleted by the author 12 hours ago"

Well, I guess you changed your mind and got the awesome game or saw my many posts pleading to our inner-child and deleted your comment cause you didn't want a reply about it. Tough I just replied and I Hope you got the game! :p

Thanks to the power of Amazon and e-tracking! ;]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013, 1:04:45 AM PST
Grieger says:
Yeah, I agree in a way. SC4's version of regions didn't get as much play out of me. Might have been because I hate waiting for loading screens. Same thing is going on here though my computer this time around is a lot faster so the loads are pretty short. Even so, that sort of break in the immersion bugs me since I don't feel like it's entirely necessary (okay, it is in a way but I'm still annoyed :) ).

We'll see how launch goes because I figure it'll likely be rough. It's a pet peeve of mine when it comes to online multiplayer-based games (usually MMOs, though Diablo 3 counts...luckily I wasn't really interested enough to play it on launch day). They've been at this for almost 15 years now (I started with Asheron's Call though I played for a short bit with Ultima Online until I decided the world was going 3D, despite my love for Ultima). Yet, each MMO launch (though I think TERA was relatively smooth) has the same issues of load and what not. It's not like they don't have tons of other MMOs to look at and see past failures.

We'll see. I'm trying to be optimistic but I suspect my time might be better spent giving them a day or so to work out the queue. I could be wrong (Saturday's beta wasn't bad but I wasn't able to play until 11pm so that isn't a really good measure).

As far as other games, I'll drop into BF3 here and there to get my FPS/military fix (just really hard to find good squads and teams that play the objectives). I got Crysis 3 so I'll likely dig into that in the short term as well. Hunter mode can be fun...especially since I love hunting snipers. :)

By the way, I didn't realize it but Ocean Quigley worked on SC3k and SC4:

http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/simcitys-gone-gold

Oh, and by the way, the game's gone gold so let's hope they got everything right after that last beta. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013, 1:28:43 AM PST
Kirk Travel says:
@Grieger:
Indeed, I can dig the problems and feel your concerns overall. SC will be fun though and I did notice the load screens being kinda like TheSims-3 in retrospect but quicker. So that didn't bother me much.

As for Battlefield 3 I have it but I still like Battlefield BC2 Vietnam better :]
&
Crysis 3 has yet to DL, I haven't had time to put in the code yet from Amazon and I do have the 360 version too but I suspect that Crysis 3 on PC will not be too playable unless I get my SSD replacement over the current HDD. Which I'm doing soon.

Wow, I didn't think he did SC3k but I know for a fact that they had him on-board for SC4 entirely.

Posted on Feb 21, 2013, 1:33:48 PM PST
KKuse says:
You guys are blowing this whole DRM thing out of proportion, lets be honest here..in today's day and age everyone is always connected to the internet so that trump card is pretty much null and void.

This game will be awesome...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013, 2:21:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2013, 7:49:10 PM PST
Kirk Travel says:
@KKuse:

I share you enthusiasm but I respect their opinion. Even if most folks have internet, not many here across the US have High-Speeds like Verizon FiOS can offer and some still have Dail-up out there in the country areas. Which means that they can only do so much and are limited by their net speed. For those people I do sympathize but for the rest of us that have good net speeds around 12MB down and 6MB up constantly then yeah games like SC will be fun to have and play.

In fact it will be an awesome experience, at least that I feel it will be! :]

Edit:
We made it to 11 pages of conversation of SC and now there are 11 days and counting to the US release. Thanks be to everyone who has participated and to those of you still adding in your comments, I will be back after launch night to post comments and share game feedback. This does not mean that the thread or discussion is dead, just that I will be elsewhere until then.

Posted on Feb 26, 2013, 12:56:35 PM PST
OceanGuy says:
Note to EA:

1. Not buying it until the on-line requirement is reconsidered.
2. Make sure the cities are large, like in SC4. That seems to be a common complaint.
3. Unlike SC4 where you have to have regions to make it look like one big city, PLEASE just give us ONE HUGE MAP. I don't like having to jump from "region to region" to build the game.
4. Add tsunami/tidalwave/flooding/hurricanes to the game if not already.
5. Add snow, ski resorts, etc.
6. Lastly, give us a CREATIVE MODE, where money is unlimited, with access to all buildings. Sometimes I just want to build a city and be creative. That helps relax me.

This game should make SC4 look like an old dinosaur game. Come on....you have plenty of fans who will buy it but do the game right! We're not going to waste our money renting your game, nor do we trust your servers to always be working. We've heard about your customer service. Thank you for your consideration!

Posted on Feb 26, 2013, 2:41:15 PM PST
Grieger says:
@OceanGuy To reiterate: there will be a sandbox mode that lets you do #6.

Posted on Feb 26, 2013, 4:48:25 PM PST
justaguy says:
I'm not at all a fan of games that require you to play online (even when playing single player), I was very ready to donate 50 buck and the better part of 3 months of my life to simcity. No longer, has nothing to do with my internet, works fine. I don't like that they think they can monitor me at all time because I bought their product. And EA has a tendency to shut down game servers after a few years so the game wont even be playable at that point. Not buying

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013, 2:19:39 AM PST
R. Waller says:
My thoughts exactly. Such a shame.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013, 11:40:27 AM PST
Grieger says:
I also hate that I can't manage my game saves. I want to be able to go back if I screw up or to save my city in stages in case I decide to go back and try a different direction at a certain point in my city's evolution...

Posted on Feb 28, 2013, 1:16:38 PM PST
Grieger says:
By the way, I just noticed this on the Wiki for the game:

GlassBox is the engine that drives the entire game -- the buildings, the economics, trading, and also the overall simulation that can track data for up to 100,000 individual Sims inside each city. There is a massive amount of computing that goes into all of this, and GlassBox works by attributing portions of the computing to EA servers (the cloud) and some on the player's local computer.
-Lucy Bradshaw, SVP Maxis

Unbelievable. So, the simulation is so complex that they need to use servers to process...you know, when developing games that involve players connected to a server (e.g. MMOs, multiplayer components of FPSs), the server is there usually to be the "authoritative" game logic administrator. In other words, by hosting the calculations that make the game progress on the server, you can eliminate (or at least reduce) the potential for cheating and, yes, piracy. More often than not, though, the servers aren't that much more powerful than the client...unless the client is really out of date.

Just points more and more to the fact that the game was engineered from the ground up to be online-only and to act as a DRM. The argument that cities don't exist in a bubble seems silly when you consider that SimCity 4's cities and regions actually did...and it worked just fine there. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013, 2:57:30 PM PST
OceanGuy says:
Grieger, thanks for the information. Very informative. The only shot we have of EA going back to the drawing board and taking their time to make SC5 a phenomenal game, blowing SC4 out of the water, is that everyone just not buy this game.

I've emailed headquarters with these postings/threads. Who knows if they're reading them.

I hope they reconsider and make SC5 what we fans know it COULD be if they just took the time to do it right AND did away with the on-line requirement. Fingers crossed....

Posted on Feb 28, 2013, 3:25:09 PM PST
d-tech says:
It's a PC game. Piracy is rampant. Every PC game (besides indies) are going to use some type of DRM.

And this game is going to sell well. My friends and I all played the beta and it locked in preorders from all of us. The majority of complainers on here are the minority overall. As much as the few are sending emails, ranting, etc, nothing is going to change. This game plays great and I'm looking forward to region play with another 15 friends.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013, 3:39:08 PM PST
Grieger says:
Unfortunately, knowing game development these days, I seriously doubt they'll start from scratch. My guess is they'll spend the next 2-5 years expanding the game and when the game is ditched say 10 years from now, they'll just shut it down and that'll be it. Maybe we'll luck out and they'll release some sort of API or the source itself so someone can build a server you can run locally.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013, 11:58:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013, 12:02:07 PM PST
Anonymous says:
Diablo 3 uses "NPC not appearing/stupid NPC" to eliminate local servers. How does this game do a similar thing? Not let "agents" work?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013, 2:07:24 PM PST
Zoophilian says:
You can always grab a NO CD crack as they are called, Its basicly a edited game exe that blocks the games access to internet and lets you play it all the same, Lots of people used it for things like EA's C&C Red Alert and even Spore.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  53
Total posts:  361
Initial post:  Mar 8, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

This discussion is about
SimCity: Limited Edition
SimCity: Limited Edition by Electronic Arts (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
1.5 out of 5 stars (4,130)