Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Welcome to the Velvet Elvis forum

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2005, 7:31:43 AM PST
Be the first to start a discussion below! Ask questions, share insights, and express your views on your favorite books and authors. Read what others are saying about popular books. Join in the fun!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2005, 1:52:22 PM PST
Tony Myles says:
An interesting trend... "The Purpose Driven Life" is the top selling book among Baby Boomer pastors (according to Barna). If everything I'm reading about Velvet Elvis is true in the publishing world, it is the top selling book among next gen leaders. I wonder what the contrast of values is that each generation is digesting.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2005, 3:08:12 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 27, 2005, 7:28:12 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2006, 8:19:42 PM PST
ne mo says:
As an educated, born-again Christian, I find the line of thinking behind "The Purpose Driven Life" to be lazy and thoughtless. These are small questions for small minds, and the book has vague goals, to assert self-esteem without actually understanding anything. Quite frankly, reading these reviews of Bell's work, it's obvious (as if I didn't know) that most Christians don't understand church history. I like that Bell takes it back to the actual context of the stories- whether he's right or not, he's making a case. And you can't find this in a Bible Concordance. Most people are missing it, because they're in one of many safe, suburban, rich churches like Warren's. Nowadays, Christianity is about safe actions and safe messages - but Christ wasn't.

What really struck me this year in my Bible studies is that Christ was breaking the rules. That's hard to reconcile with most Evangelical teachings, but not with Bell's. From what I read of Bell, Christ was a rabbi and a savior. He doesn't spend much time discussing Christ's divinity, but neither did Jesus. That's a paradox, not a corruption of the Word. Paradoxes ARE the center of our faith. If you're more doubtful of Bell than Warren, then you have problems. Understand, I'm sure Warren is a fine person and a good teacher for many. But he's not impressively knowledgeable, and he's just one more in a long line of popular Christian teachers slicing and dicing the scriptures to find vague answers to non-problems. Bell is not right, but he's more right. Everyone who's challenged by his view of scripture need to consider that normal Christians chose what would go into the Bible. And that's where rigid doctrine arguments fall apart. Because the only rigid doctrine that affirms that historical fact (that the church defined the scriptures, not vice versa) is that of the Catholic/Orthodox churches. If we can't challenge orthodox views of the scriptures even a little, we can't very well belong to a church other than the Catholic one. The scripture DOESN'T interpret itself, it was written in at least two other languages on other continents, 20 centuries or more ago. It's important to know a little history. I think we can all be Christians, even if we can't read. But I don't pretend that 'growth' is measured in the number of souls saved or the amount of time spent reading the bible.

Finally, when Bell refers to Eastern religions, he's obviously using the terminology of Ancient history, i.e. Jewish religion was an Eastern mystery religion at the time of Jesus. He's not speaking of Buddhism, even if he finds the philosophy useful, he's far from selling it here.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2005
Latest post:  Feb 5, 2006

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about
Velvet Elvis: Repainting the Christian Faith
Velvet Elvis: Repainting the Christian Faith by Rob Bell (Hardcover - July 31, 2005)
4.2 out of 5 stars (545)