BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ultimate Hits by Garth Brooks $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon drwho drwho drwho  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 17, 2011
I have been moving toward a full paleo eating style for the past year and a half and I literally own every "paleo" cookbook available on Amazon. I wish I had this cookbook when I was just getting started. It is the very best of my whole collection -- and that is saying something because I really enjoy a couple of the others. Well Fed is absolutely chock full of deliciousness. Every recipe WORKS. It turns out as described and wows my family. I am doing a "cookup" right now to stock my fridge and pantry for a week of healthy eating -- something I originally learned from John Berardi over at [...] -- and the ideas in this book are going to take my weekend cooking ritual to an even higher level of healthiness and diversity.

I have never before cooked every recipe in a cookbook. I am committing that I will be making every single recipe in this book before the end of 2012. Yes - it is that good. In fact, I have never reviewed any of the many books I have purchased from Amazon, but this author deserves a shout out. Her writing style is authentic and engaging, and the information she shares is fresh and useful (did I mention fun and edgy as well?). I will be buying multiple copies today so I can gift them to some very lucky people. Thank you for your hard work in putting this lovely book together, Melissa Joulwan. You are a kitchen goddess.
1717 comments| 752 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 4, 2017
I don't love it and I wouldn't recommend Well Fed to the novice, new-to-paleo cook. To be fair, I don't think Well Fed is particularly marketed to the brand new cook but I would suggest that someone new to cooking or paleo/primal focus on learning the basics: how to season/brine/dry brine and get a nice crust on your meat while a pan frying, learn how to braise or slow cook or pressure cook and how to saute, learn/find a good noodle replacement for you, what general ratios of fat, protein and carbs work best for you...do the basics first, they will take you faaaaarrr and build your sense of flavor profiles and what you like vs don't like. Then pick up Well Fed.

I bought this about five years ago, before I learned how to cook, before I did some world travel and before I lived in a big city. As a total novice in the kitchen, with a background from the American mid-west, I found the recipes quite foreign--not so much in the names, but what the flavors should be...and I didn't like many of them and was turned off to paleo in general because of it. Now, with a few years in the kitchen under my belt cooking up some delicious paleo/prmial meals for myself, family and friends, I feel pretty confident will my home-cook skills: having returned to Well Fed, I still don't like it all that much...but keep in mind, I'm just a home cook.

I think Melissa's recipes are a little intimidating to the uninitiated. I also feel they miss the mark and many of the flavors are unbalanced...for example, the sunshine sauce asks for 2 tablespoons of lime juice (!) and misses that balance between a little bit sweet and a little umami. The novice cook probably wouldn't know how to "fix" that recipe and still keep it paleo. (My suggestion: add only a splash of lime juice (plus more only to taste), some honey (start with a tablespoon and go from there, to taste), a touch more garlic and ginger and you have a pretty nice paleo sauce...maybe not exactly peanut sauce, but certainty inspired by. Almond butter, which you can find at most supermarkets now, is also a good substitute if you can't find sunflower seed butter.) But that's just me, you do your thing and adjust flavors as you see fit, like we all do with recipes. I think Melissa's ideas are a creative and an interesting spring board for those with experience in the kitchen with at least a basic palette to reference, but overall, they're off balance and challenging for the newbie. Plus, you can find many (most?) of her recipes in this book online now. Good Luck!
on April 4, 2013
My favourite cookbook so far. The dishes are easily prepared, delicious and the ingredients are easy to find (no goji berries grown on the south side of the Himalaya picked in a full moon night on Tuesdays here :)) The recipes might look simple, but don't be fooled, the spices she uses add complex character and make every meal a treat. I especially appreciate the section she calls "you know how you could do that?" where the author lists variations of each dish. So you can transform a Mexican dish into an Indian one in a second just by switching out the spice blend, for example.

One of my favourite recipes in this book is the cumin roasted carrots one (page 115). For that one alone it's worth buying the book. I'm truly well fed now and if you're following a paleo/low carb lifestyle I'm sure you'll enjoy the delicious meals in this book as much as I do. Even if you're not following any special diet this book is still worth buying, because who doesn't enjoy good food (healthy or not?)? I could hardly tell the difference between a traditional cottage pie and her paleo version of it. If anything, I liked hers more. So go ahead and buy the book and never eat bland tasting food again!
on February 24, 2014
I bought the Kindle version and I'm completely excited about it. For awhile it will be my go to for Paleo cooking (which happens every day for me since I am gluten and dairy intolerant, and do poorly with refined sugar and too many baked things.)

There are several things I love...
1. Deliciousness
The dishes I have tried so far have been delicious. Coconut Almond Green Beans, Citrus Carnitas (from pork shoulder), were amazing and I couldn't believe they came from my kitchen. I am eager to try a lot of recipes in this book.

2. Versatility
Melissa tells you how to make something basic and then lists numerous simple variations to reflect different cultures/flavors just by changing the protein choice and spices used... For example, Meat and Spinach muffins can be made Italian by using beef with pizza seasoning, Tex-Mex (Beef, chili and lime), Moroccan (lamb and spices like coriander, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg), Asian (Pork with Chinese 5 spice & coconut aminos), Indian (using lamb curry and raisins), and also Greek and Middle Eastern. Many of the recipes have these types of listed variations, so you should never get bored and have all cravings answered.

3. Pairings
At the end of most recipes is a list of a few other dishes that will compliment what you are preparing.
For example... a recipe for "The Best Chicken You will Ever Eat" includes a link to "Moroccan Dipping Sauce" and lets you know that the chicken goes well with "Baba Ghanoush" "Middle Eastern Cucumbers" and "El Minzah Orange Salad." Each complimenting dish has a link to it's own recipe.

4. Recipe Index
An index in the book that gives you all recipes that involve a certain food. Let's say I have a big spaghetti squash in the fridge that needs to be used. I look up spaghetti squash in the index and see a recipe for Roasted Spaghetti Squash, or Pad Thai. Roasted Spaghetti squash can be tossed with coconut oil and I get a list of 4 different spice combinations that give me options to 4 distinctly different flavors.

5. Learn Restaurant Type Prep for Hot Plates to save time.
Paleo people know that a lot of cooking is involved, so in order to handle this amount of work in a busy life style, the author includes a chapter to teach you how to prepare for "Hot Plates"... basically a bulk prep and store of your main ingredients/dishes for the week. I tried it this last week and it worked beautifully. I was elated to be able to make meals all week with different combinations of foods and dishes tailored to my palate. Even better that all the real cooking was done and all week my time in the kitchen was based on a quick "reheat" - and very tasty.

Other positives are recommendations on what to keep stocked in your fridge and pantry, and what types of kitchen gear/utensils etc will come in handy.

DOWN SIDES (what might deter some from this book)
1. Some recipes a lot of work
For someone not used to cooking these might be more than you want to engage in. But on the plus side, the more detailed cooking methods will educate you, better your cooking skills and knowledge, and are completely worth it in taste. I have also seen suggestions for simplifying recipes to make them quicker and easier. And- there are a lot of ways to save time and be quick shown in this book.

2. There are no baked goods or sweets-
Which honestly for me is another bonus. I don't do very well with lots of added sugars or when I bake with almond meal etc. So the FRUITS section- four recipes that include Fried Apples with Bacon and Pecans, and Caramelized Coconut Chips is perfect for me. But if you are looking for "Paleo friendly" cookies, cakes, desserts etc, they are not in this book. Elena's Pantry and Food Renegade websites are great for those, if you are interested.

3. No Seafood or Turnkey
Aside from one recipe I saw for salmon, and one for shrimp, there are no recipes in this book for seafood. Once I started looking at everything, this book is based around beef, pork, lamb, and chicken. I lean a lot toward fish and turkey, so I was disappointed not to see them included. I am adapting turkey into beef or chicken recipes, but the flavors aren't the same. I'd like to see more ways to include fish, shrimp, etc. in these recipes.

Definitely buy this book. After getting the Kindle version, I will be buying the paper back version as well.
on April 30, 2013
I love this cookbook so much that I emailed the author to let her know. These are the things that I enjoy so much about it:

Beautiful pictures for every recipe
Recipes are mostly easy and fairly quick to make
Even though they are easy, this accomplishes something few cookbooks do, which is to create depth and complexity of flavor using clever combinations of spices.
It has culturally diverse foods and flavors, made simply and with great flavor profiles
As a huge bonus, the author gives detailed instructions on how to use weekly cookups to lessen your amount of time in the kitchen, and two pages of ways to turn protein+vegetables+fat into delicious meals from multiple cultures in minutes. This was the part of the book that surprised and delighted me most. If you start out the week just by cooking off a couple pounds of protein and pre-steaming a few veg you can choose from a variety of cultures (Chinese,Indian,Morrocan, Italian, American, etc..) and create yourself a delicious hotplate dinner in minutes anytime during the week. I'm not explaining it well, but it is brilliantly done.

As far as who I would recommend this book to:
Anyone who is doing a whole30- all of the recipes (besides one desert) are whole30 approved. It has actually caused me to enjoy my whole30 this time around so much that I extended it. And I might keep going until I've eaten my way through her whole book! The recipes are seriously that good,
Anyone who is paleo, primal or low carb, dairy or gluten free.
Anyone who just likes darn delicious food.

I'm pretty sure I have never given a product this much of a glowing review, but I really am that happy with it. I'm hoping that by the time I have eaten all the recipes in this one a few times, she will be out with WellFed2- and I'll be well fed for half a year between the two of them! If I were to own one cookbook(paleo or otherwise) This is it.
on April 2, 2014
I purchased this book as well as her next book Well Fed 2 and was delightfully surprised. These recipes are easy. Some are a little more time consuming, but her creative idea of "Hot Plates" makes a very fast dinner when there's no time. My family and I (husband and 2 adult daughters) tried several of them before we made the commitment to the Whole30 plan. These recipes have great bold flavors. I especially love the olive oil mayo,( I will never eat store bought again) best stir-fry sauce ever, and the Scotch eggs. These recipes are about eating clean and wholesome, not about deprivation. My husband has never been able to follow a diet requiring calorie restriction for more than a couple of days in his entire life, but he has no problem eating Paleo because there is no restriction on the amount of food. He is a type 2 diabetic with about 70 pounds to lose. During the first week, his blood sugars began dropping. During week two they were down into a normal range and have continued to stay between 80 and 130. All family members have lost about 10 lbs. each, and we all agree, it was so easy. We are going to keep our clean diet. We feel better, we love the food, and we've lost weight. We really are healthier! This book made the difference. I hope Melissa Joulwan has plans for more Well Fed books. I'll buy them all.
on April 1, 2015
This book is so helpful. I have been trying to eat paleo off and on for about a year, but I'm single and don't really enjoy cooking, so it hadn't really worked out - until I got Well Fed Paleo. In addition to great recipes, Melissa offers a practical guide to shopping and cooking that lets you get most of the cooking out of the way one day a week. This is the most important part of the book for me as it has made eating paleo doable for me with my work and other responsibilities. As for the recipes, many of them are great. Some are not to my taste, and she seems to like spicy food a lot more than I do. But overall there is so much great advice and help in this book I couldn't give it anything other than five stars.
on March 25, 2016
The book was recommended to me, and when I bought it I could see why. It had everything on one page you needed to make that dish. A list of ingredients, how to cook the recipe, a list of other dishes this recipe would go with as compatible food items, and a picture of the finished recipe. If you needed to shop, just copy the page in the book on your printer and take it to the store. I loved the book, and have loaned it to several friends for their approval. I am glad I bought it.
on March 15, 2013
I decided to wait to review this book after cooking at least 3 or 4 recipes. It turns out it's been 2 months & I'm just getting around to reviewing this as I've been very busy cooking recipes from Well Fed on an almost nightly basis. True story.

It's not just the amazingly delicious recipes that make this the best cookbook I own (& trust me, I own several); The Weekly Cookup section (Hot Plates / Cool Salads) is so incredibly helpful for those entering the Paleo world and especially for those doing a Whole30 (HIGHLY recommend - see "It Starts With Food" for more info), because you will be spending a lot of time in the kitchen!

But I'll try to keep this semi-brief by listing some of the recipes we've tried:

Olive Oil Mayo - I kid you not, we make a double batch of this (3 cups) at least once a week. We're a family of 4 (two kids under 3) & the adults are dropping weight. It actually feels kind of wrong to be able to eat as much of this delicious mayo as we do.

Several hot plates - my two personal favourites are the Eastern European pork, cabbage, apples & mustard & the Thai pork, eggplant & basil. There are SO many options though. I have more experimenting to do here.

5+ star recipes (truly memorable):
Moroccan Meatballs - so incredible. We make these often as my husband & I love these & our toddlers go nuts for them as well.
Chocolate Chili - I've never been a big chili fan. I've just never gotten into it. But wow....this chili changes the game. We make a triple batch for freezing every time.
Ginger-Lime Grilled Shrimp - I will never cook shrimp any other way.
Salmon A L'Afrique Du Nord - so simple yet so delicious.
Cumin-Roasted Carrots - really? Can carrots be so yummy? Another hit with the kiddies too.
Baba Ghanoush (& the Tahini Dressing modification) - also a weekly staple in our home.
Caramelized Coconut Chips - such a simple, yummy snack.

4 star - really, really good:
Pad Thai - the best I've had but I honestly don't much care for Pad Thai.
Bora Bora Fireballs - unique flavoured meatballs
Scotch Eggs - an awesome make-ahead breakfast
Meat & Spinach Meatballs - they're too good to be so healthy. It makes me feel so warm & fuzzy when my kids gobble these up.
Velvety Butternut Squash
Coconut-Almond Green Beans
Cocoa-Toasted Cauliflower

The book is well put together. It's a cookbook & the recipes are delicious but it offers more than that. It's well written (great sense of humour), well bound / designed / formatted (I love that it's wider than it is tall & the layout is well thought out & easy to read). If there's one fault (it's minor), it's that I feel the prep times listed seem a bit light. Granted, I'm a slow chopper & I'm horrible about not having everything prepped & ready to go before I start, but I find these recipes take me a fair bit longer than the prep times indicated on each recipe. Not a big deal - just wanted to mention this. I'm hoping the author will keep this in mind for Well Fed II which I plan to ore-order as soon as its available.

Lastly, if you buy (& of course, use) this book, I must warn you that you will have a hard time going out to eat anymore. Nothing will taste nearly as good as your home cooking anymore! :)
on September 15, 2013
My favorite cookbook -Paleo or not. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed trying to eat Paleo(ish) and am in the kitchen ALL the time. But with some tips in the book on how to organize your shopping and doing some precooking, are helping. Every recipe has been solid. But what I really treasure about the book is the more interesting flavors/spices she introduces - bit more Middle Eastern/Indian/Asian. Tossing spaghetti squash with garlic, cumin and cinnamon would not have come to mind but it was delicious, different and exciting. For most recipes, she lists other spice blends or ingredients you can use to give it an Italian, Spanish or Tex-Mex flare. I plan to make everything in her book and can't wait for the second one. I wish her great success and hope she gets major recognition outside the Paleo circle as well - it's just good food.