Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by Luke Bryan Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 17, 2011
I have been moving toward a full paleo eating style for the past year and a half and I literally own every "paleo" cookbook available on Amazon. I wish I had this cookbook when I was just getting started. It is the very best of my whole collection -- and that is saying something because I really enjoy a couple of the others. Well Fed is absolutely chock full of deliciousness. Every recipe WORKS. It turns out as described and wows my family. I am doing a "cookup" right now to stock my fridge and pantry for a week of healthy eating -- something I originally learned from John Berardi over at [...] -- and the ideas in this book are going to take my weekend cooking ritual to an even higher level of healthiness and diversity.

I have never before cooked every recipe in a cookbook. I am committing that I will be making every single recipe in this book before the end of 2012. Yes - it is that good. In fact, I have never reviewed any of the many books I have purchased from Amazon, but this author deserves a shout out. Her writing style is authentic and engaging, and the information she shares is fresh and useful (did I mention fun and edgy as well?). I will be buying multiple copies today so I can gift them to some very lucky people. Thank you for your hard work in putting this lovely book together, Melissa Joulwan. You are a kitchen goddess.
1717 comments| 756 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 15, 2013
My favorite cookbook -Paleo or not. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed trying to eat Paleo(ish) and am in the kitchen ALL the time. But with some tips in the book on how to organize your shopping and doing some precooking, are helping. Every recipe has been solid. But what I really treasure about the book is the more interesting flavors/spices she introduces - bit more Middle Eastern/Indian/Asian. Tossing spaghetti squash with garlic, cumin and cinnamon would not have come to mind but it was delicious, different and exciting. For most recipes, she lists other spice blends or ingredients you can use to give it an Italian, Spanish or Tex-Mex flare. I plan to make everything in her book and can't wait for the second one. I wish her great success and hope she gets major recognition outside the Paleo circle as well - it's just good food.
on September 30, 2013
As a newbie to paleo and in the kitchen this cookbook has been a life saver and large part of my success at transitioning to a paleo lifestyle. I've made at least a dozen recipes from it so far and every single one has been a winner and has turned out perfectly. My boyfriend is not following paleo with me but has happily scarfed down everything I've made from Well Fed. You seriously won't miss the grain, dairy, sugar, etc. when eating these meals. I actually crave the chocolate chili and egg foo yong.

I also love her weekly cook up idea. I lead a very busy life and it has really helped me organize our weekly meals. I've been able to find all of the ingredients at the regular grocery store or Whole Foods and all the recipes really have been easy to follow.

I used her Basil Pesto recipe to make and freeze about a dozen batches of pesto with all the leftover basil from my garden this fall. I can't have walnuts so I used pine nuts instead and it turned out great. I also ran out of parsley about half way through the batches and they were still delicious.

I read in other reviews that people had problems with the binding falling apart quickly. However, I have been heavily using this book for the last couple of months and have had no problems with pages falling out or the binding coming apart. My only complaint is that we buy half a pig & half a cow so we have many different cuts and she mostly uses ground meats and chicken thighs in these recipes. I wish there were a few recipes using roasts, etc.
on March 22, 2017
It is just ok, to be honest. I don't use this as much as I thought I would. The recipe require a lot of time and a ton of ingredients. Not my favorite cookbook I own.
on February 19, 2013
I own a lot of cookbooks. I love food. And I love this book.

Melissa Joulwan comes from a restaurant family, and she knows how to cook. The thing I love most is that her recipes always turn out exactly as she says they will. That is not always the case with cookbooks, especially with some of the more unusual ingredients used in Paleo cooking. She provides notes on the method and what to expect, as well as suggestions for changing recipes, so that one basic recipe can become several variations.

She gives practical tips on meal planning for the week, such as her Hot Plates, which are dishes made up from ingredients cooked ahead and refrigerated. In ten minutes ot half an hour, with very little prep, you can have a delicious meal ready, by doing some planning and work once a week.

She has adventurous tastes and brings those into all of her recipes. I enjoy ethnic food and lots of flavour, and her recipes deliver on both those counts.

My only complaint is that the recipes are often printed in very small print, and I need to wear my reading glasses to read them. This is not always practical in the kitchen, so a change in format might be advisable for her next book or a second edition. But that's not enough for me to go down to 4 stars for this book.

I ordered two more copies and gave them as gifts, and I'll probably get more. This is not just for people following the Paleo lifestyle, this is useful information, great recipes, and good advice on making great food.
on April 2, 2014
I put off downloading the book for so long and now I don't know what I was thinking! I have made a LOT of dishes out of this book and it is by far my favorite paleo cook book. It is my go to book for planning most of my weekly meals.

Here's what I love:
Easy: the meals are not overly complicated. Most meals have only a few ingredients. Infancy the most ingredients are usually spices which I don't count because I already have them in my pantry! They are easy to prepare and I haven't had a dish yet that wasn't delicious!

I can make my own: I LOVE how at the end of each recipe is Melissa's "you know you could do that?" Section. I could more from this than anything else! Sometimes I don't have a spice or don't like a particular spice and Melissa gives suggestions for other ways to do things. Additionally my husband and I have a tendency of finding something we like and eating it until we are sick of it! But with these recipes you can make the same recipe 10 times and it can be different all 10 times!

I can't say enough good things about this book. When Well Fed 2 came out I downloaded immediately!! I also highly recommend that book as well. I'm completely addicted to the ginger dressing!

This book alone has made staying paleo easier for my husband and I. I can make uncomplicated yet delicious dinners and be totally satisfied at the end of our meal.
Recipes to try are the confetti rice and Moroccan meatballs. I made the meatballs for some non paleo friends of ours and was asked for my recipe :))

She hit it out of the park with this book!
on February 7, 2017
I love this cookbook! I own probably 20 paleo cookbooks and have perused many more from the library and at bookstores, and the Well Fed cookbooks are among my very, very favorites. Whenever I get a new cookbook I make a list of the recipes I'm most excited to try and the lists for this and Well Fed 2 are longer than any other cookbook lists have been by far. Everything I've made has been really tasty and each recipe has a beautiful photograph accompanying it. The style and layout of the book is fun. She gives lots of alternative options/directions you could take the recipes in so each recipe is actually like many recipes in one. I also like that the recipes (save maybe one or two?) are all Whole30 friendly too. I highly recommend this cookbook!
on July 15, 2016
Love love love this book. Started 6 week cross fit challenge and read reviews and had to get this book. First night made Egg foo young and non Paleo husband had two servings, it was delicious, especially the mayo sesame sauce for on top. If you need good tasting food to make for guests and family and your self, buy this book. It tells you everything, from grocery and spice list, and it reads easily and was quite entertaining and interesting as a new comer. No reason why not to do Paleo with this book in hand. You will not regret buying it.
on March 5, 2015
i was new to the idea of paleo when i bought this book. i had decided to do the whole30 for health reasons and wanted more than just chicken breasts and plain veggie or salad sides. i am so glad i did! i have loved everything i have made from this book. the recipes, while they can have somewhat long ingredient lists, are (mostly) easy to do. there is a nice variety of meat and veggies dishes and also sauces. there is also discussion of cooking techniques. thanks to this book i know how to make cauliflower rice (so easy and if you make it plain can be used to replace rice in most dishes) and roast spaghetti squash. i have been introduced to foods i didn't really know about, never mind know how to cook. she also gives really helpful hints for switching things up if you don't like a particular ingredient or maybe don't have it on hand.

the green bean recipe (which is kind of like a curry with lots of spices, coconut milk and slivered almonds on top) is my favorite recipe. i actually made it for my company's christmas potluck dinner and everyone loved it. the sri lankan curry sauce it awesome - i made a batch and it was great on anything i put it on, whether chicken, veggies or cauli rice. it does have a different texture since it's made with shredded carrot, but the taste was amazing. while the meat dishes in this book are really good, it's mostly the veggie dishes and the sauces that make it that make it earn it's place on my bookshelf. (take that people who think paleo is strictly about meat!)

i can't recommend this book enough for anyone, not just someone eating paleo. the author's background is italian/middle eastern and she grew up in a family that cooks and she really knows food.
on September 10, 2015
I love what I have been able to do so far. Some things are difficult to find when you live on a small island, so, some things that I'm sure I would love,I won't get to make. I do love the "Best chicken you will ever eat.". Initially, I just used the brine, then took a closer look at the chicken recipe and made that. It was great, and it does come out tender and not dry! Unti my husband gets ahold of his qnd turns it ro shoe leather, Lol.