Wenger 16958 Pocket Tool Chest Swiss Army Knife Executive Micro Size 2.5-Inch
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- knife with 9 implements, 14 "
- 1.75" thin pen blade, stainless steel
- micro screwdriver, 1.8" springless scissor with serrated self sharpening design, screwdriver, cap lifter, wire crimper,
- nail file, nail cleaner, reamer, awl with sewing eye, cuticle pusher, toothpick, tweezers and key ring
- 1.2 oz.
The Wenger® Pocket Tool Chest Genuine Swiss Army® knife measures just 2 1/2-in, yet it contains 9 implements for 14 versatile functions. It's equipped with a pen blade, screwdrivers, scissors, a cap lifter, a wire crimper, and more.
From the Manufacturer
Swiss Army knife with mini tools
Top customer reviews
Here is what I can tell you:
1. The Main Blade came sharp from the box and after a few passes across a pocket whetstone I have it is as sharp as a razor blade. I like the length and shape of the main blade on this knife which by the way is very similar to the Victorinox Classic Blade. Edge retention seems to be very good on my example, but I have not really been punishing it. Cutting cardboard is probably the worst task I have put this knife to so far, but cardboard is really bad on dulling a blade.
2. The Nail cleaner blade Is acceptable, has a good curved point on the end that works well for me... and the grit on the file portion of the blade is nice and gritty and takes material off my nails very well. Very little if any wear at this point on the grittiness of the surface.
3. The Small 3/32" Flathead Blade is a nice size for many fine fasteners or for prying off battery covers and such. I have only used the opener maybe twice but it seems to be adequate for the task considering the thinness of the blade. I generally carry a little cast aluminum cap lifter on my key-chain so this feature does not get used much.
4. The Precision Screwdriver Blade is a perfect size and length for the tasks that it faces most often. The blade is chisel ground to fit small fasteners yet retain some strength. The steel of the blade on my example has enough flexibility to have allowed the tip to have bent slightly rather than break off.
5. The Sewing Awl Blade Is in my opinion of an optimal size for many tasks that are within the scope of this knife. I have used it to add a hole to my work belt and to wallow out a couple of other holes. Actually it is more useful in some ways than the awl on my Leatherman Supertool 300 because its smaller and more slender. Nice size thread loop also.
6. Tweezers are actually very nice to use though they can be difficult to get out sometimes. I will admit that they are not as heavy duty as the ones on my wife's leatherman style but they are still very serviceable and all metal.
1. Scissors have heavyweight blades, but I don't like the grind of the blades. The blades are not sharpened at all, rather they have little serrations cut horizontally into the blades making them cut roughly and also basically unsharpenable. But in my opinion that's not the biggest issue I have with them... The biggest problem I have is that they don't lock in place well so when you are cutting something the back-spring is not able to hold them locked in place. I do like the little pin that keeps them from opening too far and sticking you. If only one blade on this knife had a locking mechanism it should be this one. Bottom Line I much prefer the Victorinox Scissors to the Wenger or for that matter even a set of drug store collapsible folding scissors would be better than these.
2. Toothpick: IMHO the toothpick is a little too flexible plastic. I like the one on the Victorinox Classic better. I will say this is mostly a matter of personal preference.
1. Make the screwdriver tips from a carbide steel material bonded to the stainless shaft like high quality regular size screwdrivers. This makes for long wear under hard use.
2. Rethink the wire stripping notch on the screwdriver/cap lifter blade. The current notch is too big for this knife and has no sharpened edge to cut the insulation. Instead they should put two notches here just like on a pair of communications shears that are designed for stripping 19GA and 23GA wire. That would be perfect for stripping telephone wire and CAT5 inner conductors.
3. Nail Cleaner Blade: Make the gritty area totally cover both sides of the blade. When you want a file you want as much of the wear surface as possible.
4. Would be nice of there was an US specific version where the main blade locked but not if is sacrificed the thinness of the knife more than a little. Maybe the same lock could lock both the main blade or the scissors... that would rock.
5. Fix the frigging scissors! With better scissors like on the Vic Classic this knife would have been a 4.5 star knife as is.
In the end I am happy with my purchase and I am considering buying another as a gift to a friend. With a few small improvements and tweaks to the design this knife would own the class. Most designs always have room for improvement. I deduct half a star for the crappy scissors and half a star for all of the other little stuff I mentioned combined. For me to give a five star rating the knife has to be near perfect at what it was designed to do, this one is almost there.
+ Adds bottle opener/screwdriver tool to the basic "gentleman's knife"
+ The micro screwdriver tool is unique and useful; perfect for eyeglasses
+ The awl is also useful as a general light duty poking/prying tool
- The small phillips screwdriver/bottle opener on the Victorinox Rambler is a bit more useful than the small flat head screwdriver on this one
- The implements on Victorinoxes have a bit better "snap" than those of Wengers, although this doesn't effect functionality
In short, I'd buy it again. Models in Victorinox's line to compare to are the Rambler and Mini champ
I was well pleased with the product when it arrived. It was exactly what I wanted and just the size I was looking for. However, the thing that pleased me the most was the service. Both Amazon and the company delivering the product (partnered with Amazon) made the experience pleasant for me. The price was right, and the delivery time was VERY acceptable.
Thank you both, very much.