YED Save up to 90% on textbooks Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 New Year, New You Valentines Day STEM Shop Popular Services nerdculture nerdculture nerdculture  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 116 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 124 reviews
on November 17, 2010
I've been using a friend's old therma-rest inflatable sleeping pad on camping trips for the last two years. I finally decided that I needed my own sleeping pad, instead of borrowing one all the time. My only criteria was that it was relatively affordable.

I found the Wenzel Convoluted Camp Pad randomly on Amazon, and for the money it seemed like a product comparable to a lower end offering you might find at a REI / Blue Ridge Mountain Sports / Dicks, etc. On the same note, I feel like this portion of the camping market (sleeping pads) is saturated with overpriced gimmicks. This product was clearly not one of those.

The pad comes rolled up with two elastic bands on the outer ends. I was overwhelmed with how light it was. It was about as heavy as a small cardboard box. In a stiff wind, it might roll or tumble away! While light, it is a little large, so if you don't have loops big enough on your backpack, I'd just clip some lines around the elastic bands that keep the pad rolled up.

Moving on to the most important part, sleeping comfort. While it wasn't quite a plush hotel experience, I did notice that many fine details of the terrain were instantly smoothed. The texture was likened to thick wet suit or a thick/firm yoga mat. Small rocks and stones disappeared under my back, while still remaining comfortable. The pad absorbed small obstacles, but conformed to the curvature of the earth; try and find the flattest land possible. Additionally, this might not be the ideal choice to put in a hammock, (I used mine in a tent and hammock) because the curve can cause slight buckling at the edges. Regardless, for the price you cant complain much.

Overall this a total recommended purchase. Considering products like the Therma-rest NeoAir? the only benefit is that product is small; even then you have to wait for it to inflate. With the Wenzel, there is no worry of puncture. In conclusion I promise you'll be happy... regardless if you're car car camping or doing a week long trek in the snow.
22 comments| 130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 1, 2011
Pros:
It's affordable and lightweight. Not too wide so fits my 75L pack well. Decent R value for the 20+ degree night I used it on.

Cons:
And this is only a con for an older side sleeper like me. If you are a side sleeper, look into a thicker self inflating or air pad. My hip bone was sore for 2 weeks after sleeping only one night on this pad.

Bottom Line:
Took my 9 year old son on his first camping trip and he had no issues with comfort on this pad, so it's a good product for minimal expense if you are a back sleeper. Side sleepers should look elsewhere in my opinion.
on February 2, 2013
I purchased the Wenzel convoluted camping pad about a year ago, and have used it many times since. I own three foam camping pads, as well as an inflatable Air Core pad from Big Agnes. By comparison, this pad is the most comfortable foam pad that I own. To be fair, the other pads I own are 3/8" while this is 1/2". In contrast to my other foam pads however, this one is by far the stiffest, meaning I feel less of the ground beneath me. I prefer this stiffer pad when I'm sleeping outdoors on the ground, because sharp pointy rocks become just annoying little bumps that I can deal with. With a more compliant pad, the rocks will be felt as sharper points such as with my Ridgerest and Alps Mountaineering pads, both 3/8" thick. In comparison to the Big Agnes inflatable pad, this is not quite as comfortable (1/2" vs. 2.5" thickness), although staying on top of foam pads is much easier. With inflatables if you move around in your sleep, you will likely need to glue rubber strips or velcro as I did, to hold your sleeping bag in place. Otherwise in the middle of the night you could wake up sleeping next to your pad. Another consideration is the weight. I haven't weighed it on an accurate scale yet, but on a bathroom scale it weighs about a pound. It feel around the same weight as my Big Agnes mummy cut Air Core pad (18 oz.).

Another very important issue with sleeping pads is how well they insulate you from the cold ground. Insulation is rarely an issue in the summer months, even in Minnesota where I live. When fall and winter come rolling in with below freezing temperatures however, it's nice to have a sleeping pad that doesn't leave you shivering, even with a 20 degree sleeping bag! For instance, I was sleeping on my Big Agnes Air Core pad in early November, when I woke up shivering due to my back feeling like I was sleeping on bare concrete! Adding this Wenzel camp pad on top of it made me feel much warmer. Since that cold night I have been using this pad on top as my Air Core pad as an insulating barrier to stay warmer. I have done a little research into the R-value of this pad, since Wenzel doesn't specify one, but similar polyethylene closed cell foam has a K-value of 0.25. R-Value = thickness/ K-value. 0.5/0.25 = 2.0 R-Value. This value is probably a little off, but I believe it is a good comparison to start off with, when looking at foam pads.

In my opinion, if you will only be camping at temperatures to around 30 degrees Fahrenheit, then this pad is a good solution to getting a good night sleep. It's both affordable, comfortable, and weighs in at around 1 lb. If you will be sleeping at colder temperatures 20 degrees and below, you will want to add insulation below you so you don't wake up in the middle of the night shivering because you are not properly insulated from the ground. Another important thing to note, is that this pad is waterproof! This foam is closed-cell and as such does not absorb any moisture. I hiked through an all day shower with this on the outside of my backpack, and at the end of the day I just shook the water off and was good to go. Overall I have been very satisfied with this product, and would recommend it.
on June 6, 2010
Found this item perfect for backpacking and it being a light as a feather product, I feel this added comfort when sleeping to be well worth my taking it along. It maybe a large piece, but you will not know its on your back. Campers can put it to use for the shear extra feel out in the woods
on October 15, 2011
First and foremost, look at the price of this thing, 20ish bucks. Now, go to a website like REI or Campmor and type in therma-rest. You will get very expensive versions of this thing. And don't think I don't have a therma-rest, cause I do, and I love it, but it's mearly a fancy version of this thing. I bought mine over a year ago now in order to get into camping a little more. This thing is AWESOME for what it is! It's not a $100 fancy, cushy air mattress to put under yourself to make yourself sleep like a king. It's a very efficent and lightweight way to keep your body warm and make sure you can max out your sleeping bag's temperature rating. Like I said, I bought this thing last year (fall), and used it winter camping on a 7 degree F night. When I woke up in the morning, I was not only warm, but I felt as if I had a heating pad under me. This thing rocks at it's intended purpose, KEEPING YOU WARM! And truthfully, I don't think it's camping/backpacking if you carry your whole house and all of its comforts on your back. Here's another issue I figured I should address. I read a few reviews saying that this thing was slippery and the people fell off of it over night. TRUST ME, a therma-rest is 100 times more slippery than this thing. I actually think the opposite, it's got a quite grippy texture and surface to it (and I have slept in a tent pitched on the side of a mountain peak, making it hard to not roll to the bottom of the tent).

BOTTOM LINE: If your looking for a great, warm, lightweight pad to strap to the outside of your framepack, this is for you. If you have the extra money to spend on a cushy therma-rest, go ahead. But this thing WILL NOT puncture, and will always provide you with the reliability and durability you need to trekk and camp any trail.

UPDATE: 02/06/2013- I've had this pad for 3 years now. Still extremely impressed with it! I have now evolved from a normal camper, to a backpacker, to an Ultra-Light backpacker and this pad still fits my needs. Light weight & extremely durable (its been on rocks, snow, dirt, everything!). This pad will keep you warm down to about 10-15 degrees (F), then I would add another pad to keep yourself warm. I have also used this pad in my hammock for about a year of testing hammocks to get into hammocking instead of tenting. Still my best pad I have owned (being a now experienced and active backpacker and hiker). One of the best value driven purchases I have ever made!
on December 14, 2012
I did not get this product for the reason it was intended. I was looking for a litter box mat to place under the litter boxes for my cats and one guy mentioned that he used this and cut it in half as they were plenty long. It was the same material (if not thicker) than the advertised litter mat, but way cheaper. I even got a lower cost in that I picked the ones that were "damaged" (it must have been the packaging; the mats were fine). Why pay more for a litter box mat? I can't comment on it as a sleeper, but if you need a great litter mat, this is it.
on June 10, 2012
Pros - lightweight, cheap, durable, warm

Cons - uncomfortable, large, hard to roll up

On a scale of 1-5; 1 being the worst, 5 being the best:

Price: 5 (cheap as can be)
Value: 4 (definitely worth ten bucks)
Comfort: 2 (provides less comfort than most other pads)
Durability: 5 (indestructible)
Weight: 5 (it doesn't get much lighter than this)
Size: 5 (71" X 24", which is bigger than most other pads, especially pads of a similar weight)
Packed size: 2 (bigger than any other backpacking pad I've used, but still manageable)
Warmth: 4 (the closed cell foam insulates you from the ground very well)
Ease of use: 4 (just pull off the elastic straps and drop the pad on the ground)

This pad is great for someone who's looking for a cheap alternative to the more expensive pads and who doesn't mind sacrificing some comfort for the lower price.

My experience with this pad:

The pad unrolls easily, and it's great not having to wait on it to inflate like the alternative inflatable sleeping pads. I'm 6'1" and it's plenty big for me. The high density of this pad smooths away the bumps and sticks and rocks, but offers little else in the way of comfort. When laying on my stomach or back, it works just fine, but when I accidentally turn on my side in my sleep I wake up with sore hips. When it's time to roll the pad up, it's difficult to get it to roll tightly. I will continue to use this pad for a while, but eventually I'm going to upgrade to a Therm-a-rest RidgeRest and keep this pad for a spare when I backpack with friends.
on April 4, 2011
I recently used this under my bag during a night at a campsite at Wolfden, Pine Mountain, GA. It's not a bad pad, but I think I'll go with an inflatable one. I purchased it for its light weight and good reviews, but I think that my 195 lbs may be a bit too much for this pad, especially at pressure points. There's just not enough give there. I can't give it a bad review, only that it's not right for my weight and frame.
on September 20, 2011
I purchased two of these camp pads for $13 each from Amazon. As other reviewers have mentioned, it feels similar to a yoga matt, albeit a tiny bit thicker. After camping with these for a weekend, I can say it does exactly what you'd expect after examining it. It's very light and the foam material is fairly dense/firm. What it will do for you is bring you a step above sleeping on the ground/floor of your tent. What it won't do is allow you to comfortable sleep on your side. Your hips will dig into the ground quite a bit. I am thinking that next time I will get a small air mattress/camping pad that I saw on Amazon here for $20 by Stansport. Stansport Backpacker's Air Mattress, Brown (72- X 29-Inch) I'd also imagine that if you were to lay on two of these on top of each other, it would solve the problems it has, but obviously at double the price for this solution, there are better alternatives.
on August 11, 2013
I bought this after reading reviews by other cat owners that it can be cut up and used for litter box mats at a much lower cost than mats for this purpose made of the same material . It's working very well after a few weeks of straightening out. The mat is delivered in a tight roll and edges curled initially but have flattened out nicely and now catch most of the litter that used to be spread over the floor in front of previous plastic mats. Basement floor is MUCH cleaner!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.