Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,338 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,852 reviews
on April 25, 2016
I purchased this to replace the Kettle Crazy model which lasted many years until the teflon wore off. By comparison, the Stir Crazy is terrible. Here are my complaints:

- Cheap, thin metal cooking pan. Heats quickly, but also very quickly burns the popcorn if you don't immediately turn it off and flip the thing over to remove the corn, and I'm talking within 15 seconds or you'll have scorched corn. The Kettle Crazy is heavier metal, and you can therefore wait until the pops die down a few seconds.

- Cheap, thin metal stir rod. Doesn't sit evenly on the cheap plastic center pivot, which means it doesn't move corn on 50% of the sweep. No way to bend it down closer to the pan, because of how it already bends from the pivot. The Kettle Crazy has a thick aluminum bar to stir, and it rocks, plus bendable because the angles are different.

- Cheap, thin nonstick coating. Already at the edges I can see where the coating didn't quite get applied. Seriously? Very poor quality.

- Cheap plastic bowl material. Again, comparing to the Kettle Crazy, the bowl is very flexible at the handles when it gets heated by the machine during popping. The handles and bowl feel like they're approaching putty softness, although I haven't seen them deform permanently. When I take the bowl off, it's surprisingly supple, let's just say.

- There is a gap between the metal pan and the plastic inside edge of the housing for the burner. Predictably, water and popping oil will enter this gap when popping or cleaning. The oil then smokes and burns off during the next cycle, which is a complete house-filler. A ridiculous flaw that should never have survived the first draft of the plans for this unit. Your option then is to wipe down the unit with a wet cloth, and somehow rinse away the residue without subjecting to a stream of water, or to orient the gap so that water runs away from the housing (upside down in the sink). The Kettle Crazy is a continuous pan, teflon coated, and easy to rinse in the sink without fear or water entering the unit.

- Cord needs to be 1 foot longer, at minimum. Another inexplicable decision, probably a result of the corporate legal team and the UL conspiring to reduce wire gauge to a minimum while ensuring no one will be able to pop more than a couple feet from an outlet. Irritating.

I can't believe the difference between this product and the Kettle Crazy, both by West Bend. Obviously not a collaborative effort.

Here's what I do like:

- Pops quickly and reasonably few unpopped kernels
- Bowl shape on this has a little more side bulge than the Kettle Crazy, which allows the popped corn to expand and the unpopped kernels to fall back down more easily. It's a minor difference, but I did notice it during use.
- It is somewhat lighter overall than the Kettle Crazy, undoubtedly due to the inferior quality of materials chosen, however.
on August 14, 2015
this makes amazing popcorn! I got this for my dad for his 70th birthday and he and my mom loved it. It makes it so easy to make fantastic popcorn without such a huge mess. You just need this popper for popping, and then you also are able to use it for seasoning (butter or that coconut popcorn oil) You don't need an air popper for the popcorn then a little pot for melting butter and then yet another bowl to eat from. Its all in one!
My dad and I used 2 TBl Sunflower oil to 2/3 cups kernels ( walmart brand) and then of course used the butter area to melt butter. It worked great and the popcorn was the best i have had! Let it cool a little before trying because when you first try it, it might be a bit chewy, but that's because its still steamy from popping. I will update on how well it pops mushroom popcorn, because those kernels can be a bit trickier to pop perfectly. It took forever to get here! took it 7 days to ship out, and another 2 to finally get to my door, but that's more on amazon than the popper. Also the popper did have a few scratches on the bowl part (hopefully they do not become more than that)
*UPDATE* it pops mushroom popcorn perfectly! But you need to heat it up with the oil and three kernels, but once the 3 kernels pop stop it take them out and add the rest of the kernels.
review image
on September 27, 2016
This was the 2nd West Bend 82306 model we've had and the 1st one lasted us for over 10 years; and we make popcorn 3+ times a week! It's easy to use, pops quickly, and makes delicious healthy popcorn! Clean up is a breeze - bonus.

The only advice worth mentioning to existing or prospective buyers is: Don't screw the stirring rod on too tightly as creates extra wear and tear on the hot popping surface, and makes a noise. Fear not, the stirring stick won't come off with a light to medium attachment to the base.
on July 1, 2016
I purchased this popcorn popper in December 2015 as an outlet for healthy snacking. I experimented with olive oil, walnut oil, and grape seed oil. Grape seed oil seemed to yield the best results in both taste and ability to quickly heat and pop all of the kernels. I used this machine an average of 5 nights per week. Also note I followed the instructions carefully and cleaned the heating area with great care after each use.

At first, it popped literally every single kernel. This is the kind of performance I hoped for and I reduced the amount of each batch. Around February, it was barely popping half of a batch and then only one-third was popped. I thought the kernels weren't popping because the kernels had grown stale, but subsequent batches from freshly purchased stock yielded the same disappointing results.

I'll have to follow-up on the warranty information to see if it still qualifies. I would not recommend this product due to its short performance life.
on July 19, 2016
I wanted to like this, really I did. Unfortunately the device is flimsy and broke the very first time we used it. The base is thin metal, but everything else is thin plastic. Maybe because of all the heat generated by the base, one of its side handles softened and broke off when we tried to lift the machine the very first time. As a result we now fear burning ourselves on the hot base when flipping the machine over to put the popped corn into the clear plastic bowl lid. That bowl lid is thin and flexible, just a bit firmer than a Tupperware container, so can be easily bent with your hand. We've tried to use the machine occasionally with hot mitts since then, but hate that we threw away money on this. And because plastic leaches chemicals when heated, we wonder what this would be adding to our popcorn if we used it more often. My recommendation: don't waste your money on this cheap option like we did. Instead, get a higher quality one. Or just use a big covered pan like everyone used to do years ago.
I grew up with a Stir Crazy popcorn popper and it was a wonderful childhood memory. As an adult I was excited to find that West Bend was still making these poppers.

Well, I've been through three Stir Crazy poppers now. All three poppers have had the same two problems. 1: The plastic bowl starts to melt around the edges after a few uses. 2: The stirring rod scrapes the surface of the popper as it turns, which destroys the teflon coating. After a few months, there was a silver groove in the teflon of all three poppers. I even tried to readjust the stirring rod several times, hoping that would reduce the friction, but nothing helped.

I really hate to think of teflon being scraped into my popcorn. So, as much as I loved the Stir Crazy popper, I will not be buying another unit. If the West Bend company improves the plastic bowl and cooking surface, I will be first in line!
on November 22, 2015
Seems like everyone thinks this popper is great. Well, I disagree. The base is not removable and cannot be washed in the dishwasher. The butter didn't melt in the top compartment even though I put it in from fridge at beginning of pop cycle. The lid, lid cap, rod and rod screw and base all have to be hand washed. You have to pop the corn in oil, I believe. I couldn't find any verbage on whether or not you had to use oil or not. I ended up taking the butter patties out of the lid and melting them in a small pan. I bought this based on it being rated the best seller. I will think again before doing that next time. Very disappointed.
on April 18, 2015
It still pains me to be eating popcorn without salt, but then that was one of the primary reasons for buying the popper in the first place. Doc says that is what must happen and so it does.

About performance: I think I have experienced most the of the bad and good comments on the other reviews. When it is working correctly it is flawless and when it does not is is generally my fault.

Important points: Measure everything. The little booklet gives one the guidelines as to how much of what and it really makes a difference. I cook a great deal and am pretty accurate on guessing amounts of things, but not accurate enough for the popper. Who would have thought too much oil could be a problem. Also be sure and use fresh popcorn. When I started, I bought a new jar of Orville Redenbacher's popping kernels and it worked perfectly but as the corn aged it pops less thoroughly. There is only two of us and I pop 1/3 cup at a time. I have also discovered before you pour in the popcorn, if the oil heat is left to heat up a bit along with a couple of kernels and when they pop pour in the corn and put the cover in place, it results in a more thorough pop. This is especially true with older popcorn. The product was a advertised and I have not complaints, fact is I am please with it. Cleanup is a snap. I hand wash the dome and it easily gets squeaky clean. I just wipe down the base with a small amount of slightly soapy water followed by a good wipe down with a paper towel.
on December 20, 2015
I have been using an air popper for years and it finally died. I was hoping for a flavor close to what you get when you pop popcorn in a cast iron skillet. I however ended up with oily tasting popcorn because you had to use oil and couldn't use butter to pop it because it would burn. I ended up giving it to my dad and he loves the popcorn that it makes and the flavor. I was using the Orville Redenbacher butter flavored oil.
on May 2, 2016
This is my second unit. Got my first one as a "prize" 5 years ago since I volunteer in my kid's school making popcorn for some 300 kids (using a big tilt kettle).Last month I was asked to make popcorn for a community event for some 100+ kids and since my popper has been heavily used the past few years, I figured I should buy a new one as stand by just in case. The old unit popped just as fast as the new one. Glad we had 2 units to work with.
review image review image