Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Size: Stir Crazy Black|Style Name: Popcorn Popper|Change

Showing 1-10 of 3,559 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,229 reviews
I used the old West Bend popper for years, but like this new one better for several reasons. First of all it pops the same amount as the older model but has a smaller footprint. It seems to operate just the same as the older model but I find it's easier to turn over when popping is complete. I do transfer the popcorn to another bowl for eating since the steam that dots the popping lid/bowl would seem to make some popped pieces less crisp.

I like that this model has an on off switch where the other turned on when you plugged it in and you had to unplug it to turn it off, which in my small area, meant reaching across the hot surface. Now I can turn the popper off and wait for it to cool before unplugging it. That depends on where you plug it in however since the cord is relatively short and you still have to invert the unit to transfer the popped corn to the bowl so you have to have enough flexibility in the cord to do that.

This popper certainly looks smaller than the other one, but also holds six quarts and pops it all thoroughly and efficiently with almost no unpopped kernals. Because the popping 'well' is recessed (the other popper had a flat surface), it's easier for me to judge how much oil and corn to put in without measuring, another convenient feature.

When my old Stir Crazy popper gave out after many years, I wanted to save counter space and bought a stove top model popper. It took me one use to decide that I really didn't want to stand at the stove turning a crank for several minutes and that unit was hard to clean. You can wipe out this one very easily and if you don't use butter, either in the popping or the drip well above, that simple wipe-out cleaning is all you need time after time, year after year.

I was willing to give up the counter space again just to get the automatic pop and was extra delighted to find this newer model takes up much less space. I highly recommend this unit.
0Comment| 325 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 13, 2016
This is honestly the best compact and quiet popcorn maker I have ever used. Works perfectly and is not loud. Many of the other ones on the market are much larger than this one but this West Bend Mini one has a small footprint, isn't too tall, and fits perfectly on the shelf for storage.
on August 19, 2014
Love this thing. Doesn't leave many uncooked kernels. The butter melting tray is a joke. We melt our own butter on the stove. The key to using butter on popcorn is to boil the water out of it. That way your popcorn isn't soggy.
44 comments| 158 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 5, 2016
Best Popcorn Unit Ever invented.
This unit heats up quickly and finishes popping in about 4 minutes.
If this is your first time popping with oil and you want real movie theater tasting popcorn, please read the following.
Oil, not any oil can be used, regular vegetable oil will leave a bad flavor.
Salt, not all salts are the same. Regular table salt is too thick and has a bitter flavor compared to the right popcorn salt.
This is what I use:
Coconut Popcorn Popping Oil - I enjoyed "At-The-Movies-popcorn" pure coconut oil. Both Flavor and Color made it perfect.
""Premier"Flavacol Salt" - It's perfect - see pic. there is a difference between Premier and one that does not say Premier.
As for popcorn, 1/2 cup of popcorn to 2 tablespoons of coconut oil is all you need. I sometimes had salt to the oil once it's melted. Does all popcorn pop the same? Orvilles provides the largest kernel and you will fill the entire popper with just a 1/2 cup of orville. All others kernels will fill the popper to about 1/2 and 3/4 full. One more tip. Once the popper has slowed, don't be too greedy about popping ever last kernel in order to avoid overcooked popcorn. Simply turn off the unit and flip upside down and remove the cooker.
I've tried melting butter, but I feel the oil and salt offer all the flavor I need.
review image review image
on June 23, 2016
I'm so pleased with this purchase! It's so small but yet pops enough popcorn for four or possibly more. It popped every kernel. I like the fact that it's attractive enough to keep on the countertop but yet it doesn't take up much space.
I grew up with a Stir Crazy popcorn popper and it was a wonderful childhood memory. As an adult I was excited to find that West Bend was still making these poppers.

Well, I've been through three Stir Crazy poppers now. All three poppers have had the same two problems. 1: The plastic bowl starts to melt around the edges after a few uses. 2: The stirring rod scrapes the surface of the popper as it turns, which destroys the teflon coating. After a few months, there was a silver groove in the teflon of all three poppers. I even tried to readjust the stirring rod several times, hoping that would reduce the friction, but nothing helped.

I really hate to think of teflon being scraped into my popcorn. In any case, the non-stick coating is not necessary on a popcorn popper. The kernels do not stick to the surface while they are being stirred, so why add teflon? A stainless steel surface would be a much healthier option.

So, as much as I loved the Stir Crazy popper, I will not be buying another unit. If the West Bend company improves the plastic bowl and replaces the teflon with stainless steel, I will be first in line!
on September 19, 2014
Awesome popper and cleanup is a breeze. It pops most of the kernels and the bottom just needs a quick wipe with a damp towel to clean. I like the on off switch as well.
on March 19, 2017
This product is nothing like it was originally. Had to send one back because of a broken chip (plastic) out of the base. Used the replacement once and were unable to put the black cap on it after salting the popcorn. Also, the brown plate fits loosely over the heating unit, so it would likely not last after a couple of cleanings. The popcorn popper is a piece of junk! If companies are going to have their products made overseas, they need to keep a responsible representative to provide oversight. I found a newer version of the Stir Crazy at a local department store. We're hoping it's better quality. I strongly advise against buying this model. It's absolutely a piece of junk. I would return it, but since it's been used, I'm sure they would not take it back. In addition, I do not have the original packaging.
on August 25, 2016
Nice and compact popper. Great for home or work. It fills one large bowl at a time and takes about 2 minutes to pop all the kernels.

Smaller than I expected but true to description. Plus, great for storage. The top clear piece removes to store and to pour kernels.
review image
on December 25, 2016
I have only used it twice.
The annoying and a bit concerning are that it makes weird noises as some kernels get dragged by the stirring rod. Needs a design review to make the bends at the rod a bit bigger or even use a flat piece instead of the rod design.

The cap at the centre has too much gap and occasionally traps a popped corn. Had to clear that out during cleaning with a knife. Not s great hassle but could have been designed better.

I used half cup Orville kernels with 2 to 2-5 table spoons of paragon popping oil. Great results!!

Need to add the salt separately after popping as the oil does not have salt.
Tried using the butter well with s slice of salted butter. Not great results, still to adding salt after popping and then just mixing well.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.