Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,026 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,461 reviews
on July 6, 2015
I think this "West Side Story" 50th Anniversary Edition Boxed Set is terrific. However, Amazon.com should be ashamed of themselves for failing to mention in their listing that a DVD copy is also included. I'm sure they didn't do it intentionally but I did waste some money on eBay buying a clearly marked Blu-Ray & DVD copy as well to get a DVD...which...unbeknownst to me was already included in the boxed set!!! Anyway, now you won't make the same mistake. This set includes a Blu-Ray AND DVD copy of the movie; a Blu-Ray Special Features disc; a Tribute CD;with 8 covers by different artists; a 5-5/8" x 7" hardbound book with pictures and stories about making the movie &, finally, a packet of 10 - 5 5/8" x 7" - movie poster reproductions (from around the world) on high gloss paper. All-in-all, a really nice set if you're a "West Side Story" fan I think you'd love this set..
on July 19, 2015
One of the most magnificent films ever made in cinema history. West Side Story is one of those films that just blows you away because it is so infinitely and magnificently stunning!!!!!!!!!!!! It's mesmerizing, powerful, stunning, poetic, beautifully filled with art, moving, lovely, and downright beautiful. I have never seen so much stunningly beautiful dancing ever in the history of film until I first watched this stunningly lovely and beautiful movie. One of my favorite and most beloved movies of all time. It won 10 Oscars and every one of them was infinitely well deserved. All that hard work those actresses put into their dancing and the beautiful songs and so what if it was dubbed; Natalie was fabulous as Maria no matter what those critics say and so was Richard Beymer and Russ Tamblyn and Rita Moreno and George Chakiris. I don't see it as "dubbed" I just see it as helping the actors and actresses play their roles to their best. I love this movie no matter what the critics say. It's fabulous and stunning this movie. It's a film that stunningly captivates your heart and soul especially when you behold the beautiful dancing and the beautiful scores. For me West Side Story beats both Titanic and Ben Hur by a zillion points. Love West Side Story. One of the most stunning and captivating films ever made in the history of cinema hands down.
on June 26, 2013
I've read some reviews that say the picture quality is no as good as expected. After watching this movie (which I bought for my wife as a birthday present), I can say that I DO NOT know what these people are talking about. The picture is so clear, I can see the original film grain. We also own the DVD and we did a comparison of the opening "flying over New York City" sequence. The DVD was very clear on my 55" HDTV. But when I played the same segment from the Blu-Ray, it popped out of the screen!! You can see the individual cars on the streets far below and can make out the extreme details of the crowd in Yankee Stadium!!! We were seriously impreed. The colors are stunning too. In the opening song where the boy slams his fist against a red wall prompted vocal reactions form everyone in the room. The red was so deep and vibrant. I'm very satisfied with the quality.

The packaging on the 50th Anniversary edition is quite nice. It comes with the Blu-Ray AND the DVD version and a copy of the songs reinterpreted by other artists. The nice touch is also a separate blu-ray disk with extras. Usually studios give you the extras on a standard resolution DVD, not blu-ray. That was nice. The book is interesting and the postcard size international movie posters are nice too. My wife is going to frame them together. Seriously though, its the movie we really wanted. So just he Blu-Ray will be great for most. But if you want the extra nick knacks, this set will please. But the picture quality will certainly please you!
on June 29, 2016
It is pure musical and dancing joy. The story,heartbreaking and so real. Hatred and the need to strike out rather than embrace our differences,told thru the eyes of the unconditional love of a young and romantic couple in love. While they can only see goodness and hope in their world,they find themselves in the midst of death and turmoil.
Romeo and Juliet as told in 1960's New York...BRILLANT!!'
on April 16, 2017
I finally go this Oscar winning musical drama about the Jest and Sharks. This jazzy and powerful version of Romeo and Juliet will make you laugh, cry, sing, dance, and think about prejudice in the urban jungle.
on July 4, 2014
This edition has a beautiful packaging: the DVD and Blue- Ray editions, a CD with songs from contemporary singers, and the Special Features Disc; then it has a separate booklet that talks bout the stars and producers of West Side, with beautiful photos; and a box of posters (about 5x7 inch cards) with the posters hat came out at that time. Warner Bros. is really getting fancy about packaging their classics. I've got the Blue-Ray Dr. Zhivago and WB did something similar to it.

As to the movie, it is as beautiful as ever. There isn't much I can add to what others may have said previously, except that it is enjoyable to watch this film over and over. If you love movies or musicals you will enjoy this one.
on May 19, 2017
Who doesn't love this amazing classic? I watched it again because I saw a more recent musical play production and really wished they would have done a faithful recreation rather than trying to put a modern spin on it, which just made it trashy. The great songs and story in this classic film are high art.
on April 12, 2017
Despite the lack of chemistry between the two leads the film still works. The score is one of the best. Every musical number is a triumph. Never boring but if you don't like musicals then please stick to football and tractor pulls
on November 13, 2012
The movie is, as we all know, fantastic. However, if the last time you saw this film was on broadcast tv in the 1970's, this blue ray disc will leave you wide eyed and slack-jawed. Mastered from the original 70mm film stock, the images are pristine, beautifully saturated, and tack sharp. Viewed on a 110" 1080p screen, this uncut, perfectly restored motion picture is stunningly beautiful to watch. Get it. Immerse yourself.
on August 14, 2014
West Side Story could have been just another remake of Romeo and Juliet. However, the combination of Leonard Bernstein's score and Jerome Robbins' choreography raises it from the merely competent to the sublime.

The excellence of the score is at its peak in the "Tonight (ensemble)" sequence. The motivations of the different parties (Sharks, Jets, Tony, Maria, even Lieutenant Schrank) each has its own variation on the theme, yet Bernstein blends them into an organic whole. The blending compellingly lets the viewer know that the outcome of the face-off will not meet anybody's desires.

What more needs to be said about the choreography than the fact that Robbins has us watching members of street gangs *dancing*, and finding it utterly realistic.

Sondheim's lyrics also deserve mention. I'll limit my comments here to the fact that the song "America" is every bit as painfully funny as it was over half a century back when it premiered.