Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services themissing themissing themissing  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Showing 1-10 of 130 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 133 reviews
on December 23, 2009
This clock is cheaply made compared with those made in the U.S. decades ago. Just about everything is plastic, including the lens. If the lens were glass, one could see the numbers and hands easily. But instead, the lens is plastic -- smoked plastic. As a result, there is little contrast between the numbers/hands and the surface behind them. So the clock is difficult to read, even in a well-lit room from just a few feet away. The picture shown on the item description page is totally misleading!
on December 15, 2012
Again, as with the "Baby Ben" I ordered, this one is JUNK OFTHE HIGHEST ORDER! I am SO disappointed
with both these so-called clocks! Alarm didn't work, and only ran a few minutes when wound.'Authentic? I
DON'T THINK SO!
on August 7, 2013
I was a bit leary of purchasing this clock due to other poor reviews and problems others had with the clock, but I took a chance and purchased it. Unfortunately the alarm on the clock only worked the first time I tried it, but hasn't worked since. I was very disappointed as we use this type of clock when we travel and when our electricity goes out. We had a Westclox for many years, and as other reviewers noted, the quality wasn't as good on this one either. I kept the package in case I had to return it. I will say that the return process was very good and easy. I will be returning the clock today for a full refund.
on February 10, 2013
The newer Big Bens are not as good as the older ones, especially the winding and time-setting mechanisms. Older models' keys are set far enough apart for regular-sized fingers and in a layout that is intuitive (example: combined time set vs. alarm set pull-out buttons rather than two separate buttons). The old models did not require a separate winding key for the alarm. The old models also had an alarm volume adjust which is now just LOUD. The mechanisms feel cheap and tinny, too. Made in China like everything else.

I like non-electric, non-battery wind-up clocks. If I had known how this one operates, I might not have purchased it.
If you have an older model that is overwound or needs oiling, it might be worth it to go to a clock repair shop and have them tinker with it rather than replacing with this new model.
on January 19, 2014
Case back is made from very stiff, sturdy plastic (I guess these days it's almost impossible to get anything made out of metal) and all of the knobs and attachments in. The back are made of a nice metal material, even the post that you pull outfor the alarm. I thought the hands were supposed to be luminous but they don't work very well for me, I can't really tell that they are luminous at all in the dark. My clock ran very fast when I first wound it but it has a speed adjustment on the back which is fairly sensitive, it took me several periods of +\- adjustment and I finally got it within a minute over a 24 hr period; like I said, the adjustment screw is sensitive but that's not a major problem for me since I will mainly use this alarm clock as a backup during potential power outages or when it is critical and I absolutely must wake up at a certain time. The alarm is a good loud bell. All in all I am happy with this clock (made much better than my last Big Ben which was made whith much more (and cheaper) plastic; although it worked for quite a while. Deducted one star for the poor luminous hands and the too-fine adjustment screw; otherwise I feel that this is a fine wind-up clock.
on March 11, 2013
This clock has been hard to find since multiple power outages force people to find more self reliant tools. This clock has done just that for us, by keeping proper time and waking us to the time which can be set accurately. Thank you for a wind up product that does not need batteries or electric.
on July 9, 2016
We have used both Big & Baby Ben wind up alarm clocks happily for many year. This clock is NOT a Westclock Big Ben. Is is a CHEAPLY MADE KNOCK OFF from China... And certainly NOT WORTH the $38 we paid for it.

The alarm setting pin repeated fell off into the clock case requiring disassembly to retreave it. The winding keys on the back are too close to the time & alarm adjustment knobs so even my very closely trimmed thumb nail got caught on them with EVERY TURN.

Finally on repeated occasions it didn't even run for 24 hours.

This clock will now be a $38 donation to Goodwill Industries.

Suggestion to others... Instead of buy this piece of junk... Check out then Sharp SPC800 selling for $7.88 as an Amazon Prime item. We did and, while it is not as pretty as the FAKE Big Ben it works perfectly. Quartz battery powered with a mechanical bell that will wake the dead. We would give it an enthusiastic 5 star rating.
on March 3, 2015
This is a piece of crap. Lasted one day before it began stopping, The alarm kept going off and unable to stop it by pushing in the flimsy plastic stem, Can't wind up alarm with out holding stem in or it rings on & on. Plus most of it is plastic unlike the description. Don't waste your money. Very disappointed.
on June 11, 2016
The Big Ben clock I received did not indicate mfg by Westclox either on the clock or on the paperwork....nowhere to be found. The clock is not like any Big Ben or Baby Ben I have had in the past, and I have had a lot of them over 60 years. This one made in China and is of extremely poor craftsmanship. The pull out on the alarm is simply a piece of plastic tube stuck over a post. It came off the second day of use. Both wind up knobs (clock & alarm) are finger killers. I have to wrap them in tissue or fabric in order to wind the clock . I do not recommend this clock..
on March 10, 2013
This clock buy was a real debate for me. I wanted one to match closely to the one my Mom had as I grew up. I read many reviews and was really confused. BUT! I went with my own thoughts and ordered it. I am very pleased with my purchase. I have had it a few weeks and it is a real charmer! The soft tick-tock is very nice to sleep by and the alarm can definately wake even the deepest sleeper. The soft "glow in the dark" hands make it nice to see the time without glaring at you. I love it and do recommend it!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.