Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

VINE VOICEon June 27, 2013
I don't travel a lot (3-4 times a year), but when I do, I really like to have a travel clock - checking the time when I wake up in a strange room in the dark is somehow reassuring to me! I used a clock for ages that was ok, but on a recent trip, every time I used the "light-up" feature to check the time, it reset itself to 12:00 am. Argh. I went off to target and bought the one travel clock they had, but from the get-go it did exactly the same thing! Travel clocks here on Amazon don't get very good reviews, so I took a shot on this as-yet-unreviewed Westclox model, and as it turned out, it has worked beautifully for me. The stand is very solid and transforms into a cover to protect the clock face and setting buttons in your suitcase. It's easy to read, and setting the time and alarm is completely straightforward (did clocks become so tricky when everyone started to use their phones instead?). It uses a button battery, so there's not much weight to it, and I like the temperature feature, which seems pretty accurate. All in all, I've been very satisfied with it.
50 helpful votes
51 helpful votes
on September 16, 2013
Original review 3 stars: I bought this travel alarm clock to take camping with me. I didn't want an alarm really, I wanted the time and temperature. I was very disappointed that the button for the Snooze/Light was not there because any time I wanted to see the time in the dark I had to use a flashlight. If the button for the backlight was there I would give this travel alarm clock 5 stars.
Update:Just this weekend I found the Snooze/Light button. It's a very thin curved button. I thought it odd where the button is and then finally realized that when you set the clock up on its "stand" that the end of the stand rests on the button perfectly and that's how you "PUSH" the snooze/light button, just push down on the top of the clock when the stand is in place. I actually spent this weekend away, took the clock with me, and was not going to give up until I figured out where the button is. It may be in the instructions but admittedly I didn't read them thoroughly. I now give this travel clock 5 stars.
19 helpful votes
20 helpful votes
on October 2, 2013
At first, I thought the clock did not have a backlight (or any light)! I read this about it in one review, but thought Amazon would certainly straighten it out before selling any more. But, after some experimenting, I found the backlight, and the clock also has all the other features I want.

The secret to finding the backlight is to set up its self-contained stand to use the clock in normal desktop operation (i.e. set it on a tabletop). Then, to see the backlight, push the top of the clock towards the back. If the clock slides backwards, you may find it easier to lightly grasp the two sides of the clock between your thumb and ring finger, then push the top of the clock back with your index finger. The light is bright enough to read, but not so bright that it wakes up your sleeping partner. It only stays on for a few seconds - GREAT, in my opinion.

The clock is very easy to set and operate, although the setting buttons, which are on the back, are fairly small, and require either good eyesight, or good glasses. After you set the alarm, you can see on the display that it's set, and for what time (this feature alternates [by your button choice] with the date - you choose to see one or the other). My eyesight's not too good, so I'd prefer a larger screen display, but all of my desired features (exactly what Amazon says) are there.

UPDATE - 2/10/2014

I've now had this clock for a while, and am not quite so thrilled about it. Its marginal lighting makes it hard to read in the dark, and the small size makes it hard to read even in the light, unless you have young eyes. I've found that it's harder to set than I first thought - the buttons are small, and somewhat "hidden" on the backside. This is still the best all-around clock that has a temperature that I've found, but I'd like it to be bigger and easier to set.
10 helpful votes
11 helpful votes
on December 20, 2013
Does what it's supposed to do but it has some flaws. The backlight only lights when manually pressed but it only stays on for what seems like 2 seconds, not enough time to read IMO. Additionally, my night table is even with my bed and at that angle it is impossible to see the display without either picking up the clock or almost sitting up. The last con is that to activate the light and the snooze the folded back cover actuates a "hidden" button but there needs to be some type of non-skid on the bottom of the clock so it doesn't slide all over when the button us pushed. This last fault is hard to visualize until you see how the snooze/light feature works.
8 helpful votes
9 helpful votes
on January 30, 2014
This is a really nice looking little travel clock at a great price and I was so hopeful that I would love it. Unfortunately, there are some design flaws that I find to be very frustrating.

On the positive side, the clock is easy to set and use - you won't need to keep the instruction manual handy to use it. It has a nifty little cover/stand that flips over the front of the clock to protect it when you travel. I also like that you can set the temperature aspect of it to read in Fahrenheit or Centigrade. The numbers on the face of the clock are a nice size and easy to read during the day.

On the negative side, you have to strategically rock the clock backwards on its stand to get it to light up at night. The light is a fairly dim blue color and if your eyes are fairly level with the clock (as they are when you are in bed and the clock is on a night stand), you cannot see the numbers. This forces you to grab the clock, get it to light and then try to look downward at it to see what time it is. In addition, the light only stays lit for about three seconds, sometimes forcing you to repeat the process several times to view the time. I had read the reviews stating the same thing and thought, "how bad can it be?" Well, to me it is pretty bad. It renders the clock almost useless for me at night time, which is such as shame, since it is a nice clock. I decided to keep it since I really needed it for an upcoming trip and my old travel alarm will no longer let me set the alarm time. Another, more minor irritant for me is the actual alarm sound. Most alarms will initially beep at relatively slow frequencies, allowing you time to pick up the clock and turn it off. Usually they only go into hyper beeping if you ignore them. This clock gives but two beeps before escalating to an annoying fast beeping frenzy.

In conclusion, this may be the travel alarm clock for you if you never check the time during the night or need to see the time in the dark, and if you need fast, loud beeping noises to wake you up. I, for one, will be looking for a new travel alarm. This is with some regret since I love the looks of this clock. I would have been willing to spend a little more for this clock, if the lighting problems had been rectified. It's still a good value if you can put up with the problems.
on December 8, 2013
It was much easier to set everything than I thought it would be. The alarm isn't all that loud, though, if you're one to sleep through noise----you might want to consider a louder alarm clock. The settings are all on the back, and so you have to keep flipping the clock back and forth, to see the display and then the buttons, while you set it. No big deal.

The black digital numbers could have been darker. The other comments made by people about the display light at night were all spot on. You have to learn how to push down on the clock from the top, and the clock HAS to be on a solid surface. Then, you have to tilt the clock so that you can read the numbers. You gotta be quick to see the time, as the light stays on for a nano second. It isn't much to gripe about, but I thought others should know.

I like the inclusion of the temperature reading, although if you're thinking about checking the temperature in the dark you can forget about it. Too hard to see the numbers, and by the time you read what time it is, the display light goes out and you have to light it all up again just to try and see the temp. If you have the night vision and reflexes of an owl, though, you should be okay.

I gave this clock four stars because it comes with its own battery, it's pretty and it's lightweight. I guess I won't be looking to see what the temperature is, though, in the middle of the night in my hotel room.
on May 15, 2014
I read the reviews and decided that this was the best travel alarm clock for the money. I have a very small bedside table, and always use a travel alarm to save space. If I hadn't already thrown the packaging away I would send this clock back. The backlight feature is worse than useless. The light is blue, and not bright enough to illuminate the numbers without picking up the clock and bring it closer to your face. No, I don't have vision problems. The clock is dark. The second, and in my opinion much bigger problem, is with the light/snooze feature. Twice in the two weeks that I've had this clock I've tapped the top to activate the snooze feature and the clock has reset itself to 12:00 for both the time of day and the alarm. Both times I was lucky that someone else in the household was awake. I would have slept for another couple of hours, blithely thinking that the alarm would beep again. Save your sanity, save your money, and save your job - buy another clock!
on November 28, 2013
This is a good small clock and just what I was looking for. I use it as my bedside clock and also take it when I travel. I like that the light doesn't stay on, but comes on when the alarm does, or when you press down and back on the top of the clock. It's replacing a similar clock that finally died.

It's important to set the stand correctly, it's not difficult, but based on other reviews, some people may not have it quite right. The cover folds over the back, and then folds up again and fits into an indentation on the back of the clock under the alarm switch. (You can see the extra fold / hinge in the cover on the left side of the photo.) To use the snooze feature or the light, you push back and down on the top, which causes the edge of the cover that fits in the indentation to push on a switch. It's simple once you do it a couple of times.

The alarm is loud enough, but not too loud, so if you're looking for an earth-shattering ring this probably isn't the right clock for you. It's about the width of a playing card, and about three-quarters of the height. Folded up it's about half an inch thick.
on December 21, 2013
I have a Westclox travel alarm clock that I bought from LL Bean decades ago that still works, except the alarm doesn't always stay turned off. I decided to stay with Westclox since I had such good luck with the first clock.
The size of this clock is great for travel; the cover folds back to act as a stand. The face is easy to read IF ONLY THE NUMBERS WOULD STAY VISIBLE. Therein lies the problem. When I attempted to set the time, the entire screen went blank. This happened repeatedly. I changed batteries with no luck. Moving the slider buttons on the back of the clock would occasionally make the numbers visible but then they would disappear again. To top it off, the clock would beep at random times when the alarm is on 'off' posiiton.
They don't make things like they used to, that's for sure. This clock is proof of that. Amazon was kind enough to accept it back.
I'm buying a travel alarm from AAA now. Hopefully, that one will work better.
on August 10, 2014
If you wear bifocals, this clock is not for you. The font for the alarm and temp is way too small. The light stays on for one second; not long enough for me. By the time I focus to read or to see if the alarm signal still shows as being set, the light goes out. Even the window cover of the clock alters how you read the alarm time & on/off signal in the corner. Clock is everything I wanted, clock, alarm clock, for travel, and temperature was important to me for a travel clock; and I didn't need to know the day of the week or the date, so I was glad it did not have that. I got the features that I meant to get, but I do not like this clock.
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.